Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gonzaga Basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Mar 19, 2022 9:08 pm 
stun.gif Nothing is ever easy in March...Entertaining win. dizzy.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 20, 2022 1:27 pm 
I looked for this thread a few days ago but couldn't find it. 3 #1 seeds played yesterday. 2 of them won nailbiters, and one lost. 8/9 seeds aren't pushovers. Memphis was a team with plenty of talent obviously, but didn't have a great season so didn't justify getting a higher seed. That's how you get a situation like that, wondering how a team like that was seeded so low.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 24, 2022 6:20 pm 
Well that really sucked. A lot of turnovers and Holmgren in foul trouble was a big issue. I just don't think this is that good especially compared to other Zags teams. Imho, they are pretty weak at the guards and small forward positions, Nebhard shot like 1-10 and the team had a very poor 3 point shooting game. It was also imo, a very poorly officiated game although I don't think that's why the lost. I really doubt that Arkansas will advance further, to me they weren't that impressive.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 25, 2022 11:42 am 
On the same night the Zags lost, former long time GU assistant coach Tommy Lloyd also lost w/ Arizona. 3 of the #1 seeds advanced no further than the Sweet 16, I think that is unprecedented. Appears it's all about playing brutal hand to hand combat defense this time of year. Things are breaking kinda nicely for Coach K to go out triumphantly w/ a last Championship run, but I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Mar 25, 2022 1:00 pm 
All of Duke's losses have come against teams with really quick little point guards who break down the man-to-man by driving into the lane and hitting runners or dumping to big men, kind of like the quarterback option in football. Arkansas guard JD Notae gave Gonzaga - a team that is structurally very similar to Duke - fits doing this very thing, and he may well do it again against Duke. If he does so consistently, Arkansas will win, but if Duke can keep him out of the paint, they will grind out another win.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 25, 2022 2:43 pm 
I don't think Arkansas is strong enough up front to beat Duke but it should be a close game. Houston looked really good last night. Maybe it will be Kansas, looking forward to the UCLA-UNC game today, maybe UNC can keep it rolling, they got hot at the right time. I would like to see Duke and UNC or UCLA for the title.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 1:31 pm 
Damn. Jeremy Eaton, one of the key guys from that '99 Gonzaga squad that went to the Elite 8 and got the whole thing rolling, just died. I don't know any details. Way too young. RIP. edit--apparently it was a long battle with cancer. Stupid cancer claims another victim. Too many.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jun 02, 2022 8:36 pm 
I almost spit out my coffee this morning watching Spokane news...Timme, Strawther, and Bolton are all coming back next year instead of going NBA. The thing is, at least there is always hope for Gonzaga, you know, just like the Mariners and Seahawks.... stun.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 02, 2022 9:24 pm 
Well, none of them are really good enough to do much in the NBA, although Timme might be a decent backup. I hate it when players leave after their freshman year, I think they should play at least 2 seasons. Suggs shot like 35% from the field last year with the Magic.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Nov 17, 2022 11:38 pm 
Just watched the Zags get smoked by Texas, the ‘Horns were on fire and feeding off their crowd. As for the Zags, I see a whole lot of talent but terrible team chemistry and lack of a dominant inside big man. Going into the game they were ranked #2, imo #10 is more realistic. Few has his hands full with the cast of misfits. Holmgren should have stayed for one more year.

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 7:51 am 
Agreed about the Zags this season. As for Holmgren…? For sure he should’ve stayed; considering he nearly broke in half guarding Lebron. At any rate- Go Zags.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 19, 2022 5:23 pm 
Funny you say that about Holmgren, I said the same thing about him as far as he should stay in school and bulk up some or he might get broken in half… Strawther is looking good and he, along with Timme should be able to spread the defense allowing for open 3,s or Timme one on one where he is nearly unstoppable, plus good to see they each decided to stay in school one more year. I feel kind of bad for Timme, as I really doubt he has a big future in the NBA, he just doesn’t match up physically at that level. Although I have been very wrong before, I actually said that Jason Kidd wouldn’t make in the NBA. Lol, still his shot was painful to watch, and had no jumper, still he made the HOF. Timme really needs to improve his free throw percentage. Imo a big forward should be over 70% and closer to 75, plus he fouled a lot so he is leaving a lot of points there.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 20, 2022 7:58 pm 
They just whooped Kentucky.

Get Out and Go
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 21, 2022 1:47 am 
The Zags played well but Kentucky did not look like a #4 team to me.

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostThu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am 
True but remember a short couple weeks ago the Zags didn’t look like a #2 team.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark