Forum Index > Gear Talk > Yeti vs Hydroflask
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 pm 
Thinking about giving one of these as a birthday present. Not sure which one I'm leaning towards. I like that the Hydroflask lid is closed, compared to the Yeti lid that has a drink opening. Are there other differences that could influence my decision? What is your preference, and why?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jan 27, 2017 4:05 pm 
I have two different hydroflask thermos bottles that I take on day hikes for coffee. My experience is that they only keep liquid hot for a few hours, not the 8-10 hours that they claim. In fact in cold weather you can usually drink straight out of the flask without worrying about burning your mouth after just a couple hours. BTW, I always pre-heat the flask and pour in boiling hot coffee. However, my daughter tells me they keep ice for two days and coffee hot all day long. But she used them down in Arizona. Your mileage may vary.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 7:02 am 
I'd consider non-brand name options as well if there's a significant price difference. In every test I've seen Yeti and Hydro Flask don't maintain temperature any better than the knock-offs.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:02 am 
I've been rocking the same Klean Kanteen 20oz for about 5 years now and am very happy with it. It now has many battle scars, the paint is chipped, yet it performs a champ (hot bevs only, I've not put cold drinks in it). If full it seems to last about 6 hours. I've have their simple screw off lid (no sippy, good for in the pack) and their soppy lid (not pack safe but good for commuting). I'm not personally a Yeti fan, but that's just my personal taste. Unfortunately it seems just about impossible to find one NOT made in China. Prior I had the standard green Stanley and it was much less efficient, lasting only 2-3 hours.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:39 am 
I think a big different between double walled bottles like the Yeti and Hydroflask and a more traditional "thermos" is how well insulated is the lid. With the former the claim is "hot" for 6 hours vs 12 hours for the "Thermos". Of course that is at "room temp" So coffee brewed at home isn't going to be hot at lunchtime on a ski tour in a Hydroflask, but IME still is hot enough to require sipping at lunch (rather than guzzling) But the flip up and drink lid is easy to use for sipping a hot drink on the drive to the trailhead and along the trail -- but if you want to drink hot coffee from a nice little cup at lunch a more old skool "Thermos" is what you want.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 pm 
Every Hydroflask I have had tends to have a leaky top, unless I put a thin film of cooking oil at the sealing surface. Hydroflask are also the worst flasks I have for keeping things hot. Even with careful "tempering" with hot water, they only keep tea hot for a couple hours. They are fairly light though. Best thermos I have is the REI store brand. I temper it the same as my hydroflask and the HF is lukewarm in a couple hours, even stuffed deep in my pack. The REI is still steaming hot after sitting in a frozen car all day. Even my knockoff cheap chinese thermos works better for hot stuff than a HF. That is my experience anyway.

friluftsliv
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am 
Would recommend a Zojirushi, a cult favorite.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 am 
I will second the REI thermos, although I checked the website and it doesn't seem like it is sold any longer. Too bad, that thing can keep coffee hot for at least 8 hours in a frozen car. I'll make sure not to lose mine now that its a collector's item!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 pm 
I use a Swiss Army thermos that i got as a giveaway at a company Xmas party. Works fine all day.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Lost Arbor
Gathering my things

Lost Arbor
Gathering my things
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 pm 
Can't get enough of the HFs. Daily use for years in my house, but for keeping coffee hot and keeping water cold.

joeyh

joeyh
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:14 am 
I've not used Yeti bottles, but my hydroflask has been great - really reliable and never leaked. Have you also considered Klean Kanteen bottle? They do a flask with a cafe lid too which is really useful for hot drinks on the go. And they're a really environmentally friendly company too!