Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Hood - Pearly Gates 1/27-1/28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JasonK806

JasonK806
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:01 pm 
After dissecting the weather forecast for Hood the entire week I decided that it would be worth it to just go and give it a chance. The weather the next weekend didn't look promising enough and I was getting a little stir crazy because I wanted to go up hood since December. Left Ellensburg at 615AM on Friday and started hiking up around 1130am. Didn't actually check my watch that often on this trip.
Starting up with my heavy overnight pack
Starting up with my heavy overnight pack
I knew I wanted to spend the night above the lifts and found a good looking rock covered in rime ice to camp behind. A constant 10mph wind was coming from the west so I built an ok 1.5ft high wall which worked good enough. Didn't feel like putting that much effort into it because the sun was going down quickly. I needed to melt snow for my dinner even though I hauled up three liters with me, so I got started on that as the sun was setting. It looked like I was going to be the only one spending the night up high.
Saw a shooting star in the morning (not in picture though)
Saw a shooting star in the morning (not in picture though)
The wind completely died down around 2AM and got some decent sleep, then I heard people passing my camp around 4AM. I didn't feel rushed to get up there too early so I kept sleeping till 530 and got moving at 630.
Sunrise
Devils Kitchen
Devils Kitchen
The summit was cold and windy as expected for Hood in winter
Summit
Summit
If you don't go, then you'll never know.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 4:42 pm 
Looks awesome! I plan to finally make it up there this year. Thanks for the stoke! up.gif

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 8:00 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Do you know where you can buy the snow park permit? Do you need two of them for an overnight?
Not sure if you need two one-day sno-park permits for an overnight, but just go to REI and buy an annual sno-park permit for $25.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 8:09 pm 
Annual snowpacks are now $40 and $80 for grooming

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JasonK806

JasonK806
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 8:55 pm 
I just got a wilderness permit and filled out the climbers form before I left.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 pm 
JasonK806 wrote:
I just got a wilderness permit and filled out the climbers form before I left.
Separate from those, you're also supposed to have an Oregon sno-park permit displayed in your windshield if you park at Timberline parking lot, or any other ski area lot, as well as the plowed out roadside parking areas for snowmobiles, xc skiers, etc.

JasonK806

JasonK806
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 9:45 pm 
Oh didn't realize I needed a perking permit. I looked online for parking fees but couldn't find any. I also heard some people were getting kicked out of the parking lot in the middle of the night for sleeping in their cars, they seem to be enforcing that now, at least for some.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 pm 
It's alright to sleep in your car as long as you park in the overnight area, which in the past has been along the backside of the main parking lot, against the concrete barrier that overlooks the road below. Just look where the campers are parked.

Mikey

Mikey
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 4:26 pm 
Jason. What is your tent make and model? A wind resistant tent is usually needed for the higher altitude exposed locations.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 7:04 pm 
pcg wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Do you know where you can buy the snow park permit? Do you need two of them for an overnight?
Not sure if you need two one-day sno-park permits for an overnight, but just go to REI and buy an annual sno-park permit for $25.
Oregon SNO-PARK permit info -- also note that Oregon no longer accepts Washington SNO-PARK permits. https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/sno_park_permits.aspx http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6642.pdf

JasonK806

JasonK806
PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:16 pm 
Its the Black Diamond Eldorado tent, the 87" length one, since I am 6'3". It works great, its a really bomber tent for its 5 lb weight. It held up good that night, just have to make sure its tied down securely. The two pole design is sturdy, but if you are going to encounter really severe winds then a middle crossbar is good to have on top of the tent.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:53 pm 
JasonK806 wrote:
The two pole design is sturdy, but if you are going to encounter really severe winds then a middle crossbar is good to have on top of the tent.
I suppose this comment should go in Gear. smile.gif Anyway, I have the predecessor of the BD Eldorado, the Bibler Eldorado. It is identical, I think, except for the logo. (BD purchased Bibler including the designs). It has served me very well but on Baker at the Black Buttes camp a few years ago, in summer, a severe east wind blew all night and tore out the glued-on pullout on the upwind side. I collapsed the poles to prevent further damage, resulting in a flappy bivy bag for my companion and me. The moral is to always try to pitch a tent with the long axis parallel to the wind if feasible. Works....until the gale changes directions. winksmile.gif I repaired the Eldo at home and it continues to serve me well.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
JasonK806

JasonK806
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:58 pm 
Definitely have to plan the placement of the tent according to the wind. And if you know the wind is going to be strong then you need a wind break, even the best tents will rip eventually.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am 
JasonK806 wrote:
you know the wind is going to be strong then you need a wind break, even the best tents will rip eventually.
Yes, that's why snow walls are constructed at the camps on Denali. Also a good wall not only protects your tent but allows you to put it up in the first place in a really strong wind.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Most gas stations and stores in Govy sell Sno-Park permits, and there's a truck which usually drives around the Timberline parking lot on weekends selling them, too. Only one permit is needed per vehicle, regardless of group size or if you're overnighting. I would not advise Hood as an overnight climb, unless you're really just wanting to go camping. The climb itself is short and carrying overnight gear is a waste of effort. In my opinion.