Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Roundabout - YES! (Uh...Ignorant People? - No!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jan 29, 2017 5:13 pm 
Cashmere has had its roundabout for a year. I'm not opposed to the concept and have seen useful roundabouts in practice, but this one was built in a tight space, so there is no room for error. So many never figure out the basic rule to "Yield to those already in the roundabout." It's a crap shoot every day. shakehead.gif That being said, just to lighten up...Roundabout definitely makes the top three for Yes. I'm partial to Owner of a Lonely Heart. How could you not appreciate a song that mentions Free Will? (Just not in the roundabout, please. arrow.gif) Yours Is No Disgrace also deserves mention. Roundabout Owner of a Lonely Heart Yours Is No Disgrace And they're going to Cleveland this year! up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:32 pm 
No comment on the musical selections, but re the traffic management roundabout: IMO they're a poor choice for snow country. I go through the Roslyn roundabout every day to/from work. Ice is a persistent problem as draining the darn thing is a challenge. If too much snow accumulates in the center it can be impossible to see who's in the circle until they haul around the corner. And for extra fun, watch semis and big snowmobile trailers bang through....

~Mom jeans on wheels
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:29 pm 
If you think a roundabout is a hard concept for people in modern society to get used to you should see the reaction when a city of over a hundred thousand that has only ever had roundabouts gets their first traffic light. I experienced that when I was working in the Middle East in the early 1970's.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 am 
Woe is me, I must tout, I do not get these roundabouts. I go into Chehalis to shop. They put in a road to take some pressure off the other roads as more construction and stores/fast food is going in what is the flood plain. The roundabout by the Walmarche is just a stop sign. Yup a stop sign because just like before, one has to often come to a stop to get into the roundabout. The city spent quite a bit of $$ to replace a stop sign with a pretty round thing. It is easier to get into the Walmarche vortex when going north than it used to be, but harder to escape. Kind of like inside the store, no?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:36 am 
The one that has always amazed me is Place de l'Étoile in Paris. It's a ten lane round-about with 12 avenues feeding into it. You can watch all this crazy action atop the Arc de Triomphe in the center. It all seems to work, I never saw any accidents there.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 am 
I was driving a round a bout in Rhode Island a while back and I (going the CORRECT DIRECTION) met a woman (sorry she was a woman) coming at me driving the wrong direction. Guess what, she was on her phone!!!!She looked at me like I was from Saturn. I stayed there until another car came up from my rear and she realized and got off the road. I hate round a bouts. down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:24 am 
Roundabouts are great -- I've driven through them in Israel, Spain, France and Japan with no trouble at all. Only American drivers seem confused about how to deal with roundabouts. Perhaps the WA driving exam should include information about how to use them effectively. That might reduce the sort of hold ups that I witness at the roundabouts where West Lake Sammamish Parkway and Lakemont Blvd intersect and the "outlet malls" roundabout in North Bend. All too often my progress through these roundabouts is slowed by drivers than not only have to wait for the roundabout to be empty -- but seem reluctant to enter the roundabout when there is any traffic at all approaching the roundabout. I think it is better to be cautious, but I hope that WA drivers eventually figure out how to navigate roundabouts competently.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 am 
The roundabouts on SR 97 and 97A are interesting. chow.gif bugeyes.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 am 
The roundabouts around here are designed smaller than their counterparts in Europe. They do not include more area to make the circle larger and more navigable as is done with those in France etc. Then there are those designed around my place that loose the 3ft (Narrowing the lane further) of bike lane which goes up onto the sidewalk. Who on their bicycle is going to go up on the sidewalk and then over to a crosswalk to get across a street and then back to the continuation of the road. There also seems to be no standard way of building each roundabout, so each time you go into one, it is different.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Perhaps the WA driving exam should include information about how to use them effectively.
That is for sure, so many have no clue how to use them. It doesn't help that they are not signed consistently, some have yield signs for some lanes and some don't. The ones that have yield signs are set up so cars have to yield to the left, which is one reason for the confusion since most have been taught to yield to the right at a stop sign when both vehicles arrive simultaneously I typically wave the other person on at a stop sign if there is a question as to who arrived first. Also as someone mentioned above, they are installing roundabouts in ridiculous areas. There is a street in Marysville where the roundabouts extend all the way to the outside line of the bike-pedestrian lane. So essentially, to navigate the roundabouts, you have to drive off of the road. It's really stupid and people have let the city know that, but it's too late, they are already built. They have signs referring to them as "traffic calming devices"...lol, what the hell was wrong with simple speed bumps or humps to slow traffic down, although I really loathe them, they would have been a better solution imo.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 1:13 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There is a street in Marysville where the roundabouts extend all the way to the outside line of the bike-pedestrian lane. So essentially, to navigate the roundabouts, you have to drive off of the road.
I don't know exactly how that roundabout is configured -- but I do know that in Yurp they found that roundabouts with "bike" lanes on the outside had much higher numbers of vehicle/bike collisions. Roundabouts that force vehicles and bikes in to the same lane had fewer collisions. I know it is unamerican to ever expect a motor vehicle to slow down to avoid hitting a cyclist -- perhaps that is why americans hate roundabouts so much.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 3:01 pm 
Firetrucks/emergency vehicles do not like speedbumps. I have not heard their opinion on roundabouts. I have read where the purpose of a roundabout here in Warshington is to slow traffic down. It sure works for that. Well, kind of.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 pm 
Nothing wrong with roundabouts IMO. I do recall that in one country in Europe, the car in the roundabout yields to vehicles entering the roundabout. I forgot where that was though. Pretty confusing when you are accustomed to the opposite. My (bad) experiences have gone both ways. Stuck behind a car that absolutely will not enter until the roundabout is completely clear. And then another time I will enter properly with ample space, and a car on the other side of the roundabout honks at me because they are still in it.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 4:56 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
the car in the roundabout yields to vehicles entering the roundabout.
In theory that seems reasonable...but it fails to address what to do when two vehicles arrive at the beginning of the roundabout circle. As I mentioned above, some roundabouts have a yield sign so that you are supposed to yield to the left, which is counter-intuitive for most drivers...and then other roundabouts have no yield signs at all. Then we have the problem of over-aggressive drivers failing to yield when they should, and overly passive drivers yielding too much. I personally don't like them, I think that they create more problems than they solve and are costly to construct. Yet I suppose like many things, we will get used to them, not like we have a choice.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:57 pm 
Otoh...I like roundabouts much better than many stoplights. It's very annoying sitting there waiting and waiting, when there is no one coming at all. shakehead.gif