Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Roundabout - YES! (Uh...Ignorant People? - No!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:46 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So in that case, just as with a stop sign, there needs to be some designation as to who has the right away.
Why? Both cars can enter the roundabout and go on their way without colliding -- one has to yield to another car in the roundabout only to avoid a collision -- there is no requirement that only one car may be in the roundabout at a time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:55 pm 
I would have to show you the roundabout in question, there is not room for both to enter at the same time without a collision or near collision.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:57 pm 
boot up wrote:
you haven't driven traffic circles much have you? You do realize you should only go one direction in the circle?
O' we have a wise ass here now aye?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I would have to show you the roundabout in question, there is not room for both to enter at the same time without a collision or near collision.
This thread needs a picture.

friluftsliv
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm 
Some might be confusing roundabouts with those tiny traffic circles found in the middle of some residential intersections. Roundabouts help traffic FLOW, traffic circles help traffic SLOW.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:01 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Sounds like the right way to treat that one be exactly the same has the way you would drive through a four way uncontrolled intersection. Washington state law under RCW 46.61.180 says:
Quote:
When two vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:05 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
a vehicle traveling south is approaching the roundabout, I am travelling east and I am on their right. Both of us arrive at the *entrances* of the roundabout at exactly the same time
This sounds like one of those math questions. clown.gif
Quote:
I would have to show you the roundabout in question
google maps or it didn't happen.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:13 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Sounds like the right way to treat that one be exactly the same has the way you would drive through a four way uncontrolled intersection. Washington state law under RCW 46.61.180 says:
Quote:
When two vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right.
Right, and I agree completely, however, the roundabout in question has a yield sign situated so that you are instructed to yield to vehicles approaching from the left. So if you are heading north on hwy 9 you will have a yield sign. If multiple vehicles are supposed to enter the roundabout and there is room to do so safely, then why is there a yield sign. The reason is as I said, for instances when 2 vehicles arrive at the entrance at the same time. Again, it's no wonder people are confused, it's not simply because they are ignorant. Tom, the roundabout I am speaking of is on Highway 9 at the intersection of Getchell road that goes to Granite Falls.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Some might be confusing roundabouts with those tiny traffic circles found in the middle of some residential intersections. Roundabouts help traffic FLOW, traffic circles help traffic SLOW.
Yes, probably so. There's one near my Mom's house.
View larger size in new window

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:34 pm 
Here's the one that CJ is talking about. Not sure why there would be a problem unless cars are driving too fast.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 pm 
Tom wrote:
cars are driving too fast.
And there we have it! wink.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yes, probably so. There's one near my Mom's house.
That isn't a roundabout -- that is an intersection with a "traffic calming circle/planting box" in the center -- it's purpose is to force traffic to travel more slowly. If an intersection has Yield signs -- those take priority over the general "rules of the road" -- except for the most important rule -- which is that if you can do something prevent a collision you are required to do so -- even if you technically have the "right of way"

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:50 pm 
Yes, I never said it was a roundabout. You still need to go around it to turn left More info here: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/BasicFacts.htm

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm 
Tom wrote:
You still need to go around it to turn left
Only if someone is watching!

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 6:09 pm 
Just noticed, in the google earth map Tom posted of the roundabout. The car at the bottom of roundabout is in the wrong lane for where they want to be heading. The lane they are in should be turning right not going straight through the roundabout, for that they need to be in the left hand lane.