Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Roundabout - YES! (Uh...Ignorant People? - No!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 6:36 pm 
Either that or they are texting and making the turn a smidge late. From the aerial it looks like the car in front of them is hitting the apron. Could be the angle of the picture.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
That being said, just to lighten up...Roundabout definitely makes the top three for Yes.
I much prefer Heart of the Sunrise and Schindleria Praematurus to Roundabout, though I'm generally quite happy with anything pre- Trevor Rabin. Agree on Yours Is No Disgrace. 90215 was a turning point where they lost me. I love other roundabouts and wish we'd see more of them used here, but I agree that people have no idea how to approach or move through them in this country. If we replaced the lights on Hwy 2 with roundabouts, I believe we'd see a dramatic improvement to the traffic woes of post- Stevens Pass trips.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm 
That's funny! I just went through the Getchell roundabout a couple of hours ago and almost got sideswiped by a guy in an old pickup truck. dizzy.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm 
Absolutely agree with you Gwen about the Highway 2 roundabouts. I have to wait ten minutes to get across 2 from the Sultan Basin Rd. if I try to go to the dump on a weekend. rant.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 7:51 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Absolutely agree with you Gwen about the Highway 2 roundabouts. I have to wait ten minutes to get across 2 from the Sultan Basin Rd. if I try to go to the dump on a weekend. rant.gif
To get a roundabout built on a highway, I think you have to have a major fruit warehouse nearby. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 9:36 am 
Tom wrote:
You still need to go around it to turn left
Do you? The DOT does not say that on the page you linked. They say: "Many drivers often turn left in front of the circles rather than turning around them." I thought that the law allowed you to make a left in front of a traffic calming circle unless there was a sign indicating otherwise. The image with the narrative shows one of the signs with arrows. So this is confusing.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:46 pm 
I cut left once or twice when much younger to shave time and it didn't feel safe so I always go around now. According to this link you must proceed counterclockwise per state law, although there might be exceptions: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/sdotfaqs.htm
Quote:
How do I turn left at a traffic circle? State Law does not distinguish between a traffic circle and a larger roundabout. Consequently, a driver turning left at a neighborhood traffic circle must proceed counterclockwise around the traffic circle. However, we recognize that there are instances when drivers may need to turn left before a traffic circle, such as when cars park too closely to the right side of a circle or when a driver can't maneuver a larger vehicle around to the right. Turning left in front of a traffic circle in those instances can be safely performed if the driver exercises reasonable care and yields to pedestrians, bicyclists, and oncoming traffic.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:53 pm 
To be clear, I am not against roundabouts, I like not sitting at a light when no ones coming from other directions. My problem with them is lack of consistency in the signage (yield signs posted at some, not on others) and most of all, the lack of education as to how to navigate them. One can blame that on the DOL, however with the internet, there is ample info out there for those who seek it. However, News Flash: contrary to popular belief, not everyone uses the internet. They need to have it on drivers tests, some sort of education when renewing licenses, ect. No, they just build them, say here you go, have fun! I am definitely against the "Traffic calming devices" where they build a little island in the middle of the street, never mind that the street is so narrow, you have to drive off the road in order to avoid them, that's simply idiotic! I really hate speed bumps, but I hate those little islands in the middle of the street even more. It does not "Calm Traffic"...imho, they created a hazard and pissed people off. mad.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 8:04 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I was driving a round a bout in Rhode Island a while back and I (going the CORRECT DIRECTION) met a woman (sorry she was a woman) coming at me driving the wrong direction. Guess what, she was on her phone!!!!She looked at me like I was from Saturn. I stayed there until another car came up from my rear and she realized and got off the road. I hate round a bouts. down.gif
If you were in Rhode Island you weren't in a roundabout, you were in a rotary. I don't know why they use roundabout out here. That's the Brit terminology. (Glad to see you now have a quote from a person who actually existed, rather then from a demented fictional character. Plus it's a legit quote, not one of the myriad of quotes misattributed to him.)

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
I prefer roundabouts to the alternatives of four way stops (where people never seem to know who base the right of way) or stop lights. They have had the across the pond for ages. I do however, think some of the early ones in WA were poorly engineered. They also seem to stack them too close and make them too small. I guess real estate is so expensive here.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am definitely against the "Traffic calming devices" where they build a little island in the middle of the street, never mind that the street is so narrow, you have to drive off the road in order to avoid them, that's simply idiotic!
Man I can tell you I sure wish there had been one of those in the intersection near my house when my kids were elementary school age, because down the street a bit farther were two idiot 20 something that liked to race down the street past our house. It was so nerve-wracking that my neighbor across the street and I started parking our cars in the street across from each other and far out into the street to narrow it down to one lane. I also used to leave random chunks of 2x4 into the street to slow them up. A traffic calming circle would have been most welcome!!!

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 pm 
The problem I have with roundabouts is, there are no corners, so there's nowhere to put the Starbucks. bagger.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 11:26 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am definitely against the "Traffic calming devices" where they build a little island in the middle of the street, never mind that the street is so narrow, you have to drive off the road in order to avoid them, that's simply idiotic!
Man I can tell you I sure wish there had been one of those in the intersection near my house when my kids were elementary school age, because down the street a bit farther were two idiot 20 something that liked to race down the street past our house. It was so nerve-wracking that my neighbor across the street and I started parking our cars in the street across from each other and far out into the street to narrow it down to one lane. I also used to leave random chunks of 2x4 into the street to slow them up. A traffic calming circle would have been most welcome!!!
I get what you are saying, but I fail to see how they are better than speed bumps? The little islands can easily be swerved around to avoid them, driving on the sidewalk if need be. Plus the ones near my place in Marysville were put in on very narrow streets, thus forcing even law abiding drivers to go off the road to be able to navigate around them. Any way you look at it, that's simply stupid.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 9:52 am 
the best roundabout I ever saw was the los angelos freeway system. You start at the top on the san bernadino freeway and go down the golden state, the coastal, the san diego and if you dont get off you go back up the san diego, the coastal, the golden state etc. you can go round and round for hours before finding the correct exit. ha love those freeways...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm 
I don't know if this is intended, but I use a roundabout for doing a U-turn instead of waiting forever to make a left turn out of a parking lot. Not too many other people do this so I end up waiting anyway.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities