Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Chaffetz Bill to sell 3.3 million acres of BLM lands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trestle

trestle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 pm 
Politicians are better than matadors. Both parties.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 pm 
fairweather friend wrote:
this subcommittee is composed of 21 members: 12 Republicans and 9 Democrats.
^ the Republican Congressional members that are up for re-election in 2018 are the ones who are thin ice currently. can you break it down like that?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 am 
The term for a member of the House of Representatives is only two years, which means every single rep serving now will be up for reelection in 2018. Also, I think it's important to let every single representative (regardless of their political party) know that public lands are not theirs to give away. There needs to be a strong, relentless drumbeat of disapproval from the public to get through to some of these people. And, in the end, how a backbencher votes is just as important as how a "leader" like Jason Chaffetz votes.

cefire

cefire
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:43 am 
The term for a member of the House of Representatives is only two years, which means every single rep serving now will be up for reelection in 2018. Also, I think it's important to let every single representative (regardless of their political party) know that public lands are not theirs to give away. There needs to be a strong, relentless drumbeat of disapproval from the public to get through to some of these people. And, in the end, how a backbencher votes is just as important as how a "leader" like Jason Chaffetz votes.
Well put FF up.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:28 am 
ditto.gif Well said!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:03 am 
Here is Mounties' log re status of current bills affecting public lands. They don't seem to know Chaffetz bill is still alive. https://www.mountaineers.org/conserve/Hot-Button-Issues/2017-public-lands-bills?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=currents&utm_campaign=feb2017

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 am 
These kind of bills are harder to kill than Frankensteins monster.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm 
Quote:
Here is Mounties' log re status of current bills affecting public lands. They don't seem to know Chaffetz bill is still alive.
congress.gov is the official website of the US Congress. It's not "fake news." It's not a secondhand source from some advocacy group or political blog. This is a record of what is going on in congress. Now, is it fully up to date? I don't know. But when Jason Chaffetz says that's he's going to kill the bill on Feb. 2, but the official record shows that it was sent to subcommittee for further review of Feb. 10, then I gotta think the bill is very much alive and Chaffetz pulled a fast one. Here's the link. Please pass it on to the Mountaineers.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 am 
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 am 
Jim, great article. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, HR 621 (the "Theft of Public Lands" bill introduced by Jason Chaffetz) is STILL alive and under review in the House. I continue to read articles from various news sources proclaiming that public outcry caused Chaffetz to remove the bill, but he never did. I believe he plans to keep it alive while the whole nation is focused on bigger crimes, such as Putin's ownership of DJT or the destruction of American healthcare. Articles like this one keep the topic on the table, where it belongs.