Forum Index > Trail Talk > High Avalanche Danger for all of Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
In our a huge number of trees felk or dropped big branches due to snow load. Meeded hard hat to acess damage.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
In our a huge number of trees felk or dropped big branches due to snow load. Meeded hard hat to acess damage.
"Felk", "meeded", "acess"? lol.gif Good thing you have plenty of that single malt on hand.... up.gif All you folks be cautious with all that wet snow out there. I like reading your posts, don't want to read *about* you in a post.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 12:35 pm 
Probably that spell checky thingy, happens while posting on a phone, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm 
Yeah, if I could have a dollar for every time I read about someone hiking a trial with their trekking polls, I'd be rich.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 8:00 pm 
While the best of us can get our fingers tangled, at least 3/4 of my "typos" are the result of the dreaded autocorrect.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 pm 
Avalanche danger still high! I shoveled a small cabin roof today and was breaking off 70 lb slabs off the top of an ice layer...heavy stuff...you get under that, you're toast.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
gb

gb
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:12 pm 
We turned around on a "safe" tour today. Tree bombs dropping from 130-140' could hurt. rolleyes.gif By later tonight and tomorrow the hit will hit the fan.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm 
Went up Cableline on Tiger today 2' of snow on top quickly getting heavy and wet. Lots of tree bombs. I would expect avy activity down to trailheads in the cascades like we have not seen for many years. Forecast still high this weekend. The pass has had close to 6' of snow in the last week and the freezing level is going up with rain by the weekend eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
christensent

christensent
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:33 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Rare closing of Tumwater Canyon due to high avalanche danger
Don't think it's rare... unless the mile posts are off from what's normal, they close that 10x more frequently than the pass itself.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 pm 
White Pass US 12 closed. From WSDOT: US-12 is closed both directions due to a snow slide at milepost 165 near Wild Cat Creek. Westbound traffic is stopped at milepost 183 near Oak Creek and the Eastbound traffic is stopped at milepost 138, near SR-123. The highway will remain closed today and overnight as multiple snow slides continue to fall onto the highway with rising avalanche danger. Currently it is snowing heavily and crews are assessing and monitoring the stability of the snowpack above the highway. Side note, Whatcom County declares weather-related State of Emergency this afternoon.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 pm 
Here's the report: US-12 is closed both directions due to a snow slide at milepost 165 near Wild Cat Creek. Westbound traffic is stopped at milepost 183 near Oak Creek and the Eastbound traffic is stopped at milepost 138, near SR-123. The highway will remain closed today and overnight as multiple snow slides continue to fall onto the highway with rising avalanche danger. Currently it is snowing heavily and crews are assessing and monitoring the stability of the snowpack above the highway. Often, White Pass is open when the other two are not. It is only 2 lanes most of the way and easier to plow.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
natural_log

natural_log
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:54 pm 
From WSDOT on the facebook: MOUNTAIN PASS ALERT - I-90 Snoqualmie Pass is now closed until Thursday morning due to avalanche danger. Eastbound is closed at milepost 34 (North Bend), westbound at milepost 71 (Easton). US 12 White Pass is also closed until Thursday morning due to several snow slides and avalanche danger. US 2 Stevens Pass is also closed due to an avalanche and more avalanche control is planned from midnight until 4 a.m. Cross-state travel is currently only available via the Columbia River Gorge. US 2 is also closed through Tumwater Canyon until Thursday morning for avalanche danger, with a detour open using Chumstick Highway except for vehicles over 26,000 gross vehicle weight. Due to safety concerns for workers, they will wait to reassess the passes until daylight Thursday. Good times.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 am 
Today doesn't sound like a day even a fool like me would go out. Not safe or fun. Got the day off. Think I'll reglue my skins. I got to see the wdot head guy give a talk on avalanche mitigation on highway 2 once. Pretty interesting. They usually close Tumwater for events that are heavy wet snow or rain on existing low elevation snow, and when activity starts.. the plow drivers /dot know when it's time. Or sometimes an unfortunate motorist. One and done, either way. I could be mistaken, but I don't think there are any huge slide paths, mostly many small steep roadside features that can still block the road, stuck a car, stop the operation. The nason ridge slide path part of highway 2, while sporting the "artillery zone" signs, is self controlled and closing 99% of the time. It sports paths that rarely reach the highway, but if they do, your done. Takes some extreme conditions. Curious what they do with the artillery they store near the east end of the train tunnel? Wdot, or BNSF? Heavily fortified instalment with cameras and stuff. Not sure what they shoot at, or with.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 am 
You can go out. Just go somewhere flattish and in the hills, not the mountains.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 am 
I might go kayaking. River should be raging today.