Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for backpacking late May early June
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gottahike1

gottahike1
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 am 
Hi. Looking for ideas for awesome early season backpacking trips in Washington or Oregon late May and first week of June. Considering the Hog River trail...But looking for options. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Abert

Abert
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 2:44 pm 
Lots of reports on the site from the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness with trip ideas. I've also been on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon in Mid-May. The road to the Freezeout Saddle trailhead is usually open by then. You can walk a long way on the Bench (or High) Trail that contours the canyon at about 4000'. Pictures from my 2008 trip. Loops can theoretically be done adding either a walk on the rim or using the trail along the Snake River. Snow is likely to still be an issue on the rim that time of year and the complications for the riverside trail could include heat or poison ivy.

gottahike1

gottahike1
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion 😀

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 pm 
Yep, that's a great time for the Wenaha-Tucannon. Note the W-T has lots of vertical: low river valleys & high ridges. I'm sure the valleys will be snow-free by late May, but this year I think the ridge tops will likely be still snow-covered. So you might want to hike in & camp on a river, then dayhike up to the snowy ridges.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 11:49 pm 
Chelan shoreline trail is usually good to go by then.

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 9:32 am 
Rapid River in Hells Canyon is absolutely gorg. Here is a trip report from last May, beginning. It was 85 degrees that first day and probably 80 the second. Rapid River trip

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
drm

drm
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:39 am 
Wenaha Tucannon recently burned out lower down and the ridges don't normally melt out till June. Also consider Lake Chelan Lakeshore Trail and the trail along Ross Lake. I highly second the recommend for Hells Canyon. If you get a dry period, Olympic NP valleys will have some great routes. In southern Oregon, the Rogue River is popular and the best time is April and May before it gets too hot and it's usually snow free all winter. Rogue River is popular with rafters and rafting companies organize car shuttles so you can walk one way (about 40 miles) and they will drop your car off on the west side the day you tell them you will get out. Car will be in a locked lot before then. When I did that a few years back, it cost $110. Or you can do an out-and-back as lots of people do to avoid the cost and logistics of the shuttle (and the long drive back from the south Oregon coast).

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm 
Late May/Early June is the tweener season, blistering hot below lower timberline, and still buried in snow above upper timberline. Ideal conditions...in the deep conifer woods in between. One exception is the Devil's Gulch trail south of Cashmere.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
drm wrote:
Wenaha Tucannon recently burned out lower down and the ridges don't normally melt out till June.
Just went there last November, took the TH out of Troy, followed the Wenaha R for about 10 miles then went up the ridge. Totally burned all the way up, in fact, the area around Mud Spring was so thick, it took 5 times as long to get through the fireweed and thistle as it should've. Beware, they'll probably abandon any trail work or salvaging that area, as there's so much standing dead still to come down. When I got home, my DH asked if I'd wrestled with a grizzly bear due to the bloody scratches everywhere. embarassedlaugh.gif

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
bkellygr

bkellygr
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 pm 
I've been researching this same question. I've been looking at the WA coast, maybe part of the Tahoe Rim Trail and the Pacific Northwest Trail sections around Oroville and Republic. I'm still digging in and thinking about other options. I will probably need to see how we do on melting out around that time frame. Thanks for asking because these were some ideas I wasn't looking at.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:12 pm 
I think the Tahoe Rim Trail has a high probability of a late meltout this spring.

brianle

brianle
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm 
Consider hiking along the coast in the Olympic N.P. I did this in April a few years back, about a week long trip, was quite a hoot. Do have to think about tide tables, car shuttle, getting across at La Push, but still. A fine time to do it.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 am 
Eastern Oregon is wonderful that time of year. Middle and S. Idaho are wonderful as well. Get in before mosquito season, though this is hit or miss depending on the area so... Normally the entire Pasayten area is good that time of year, but it essentially 100% burned and officially not allowing people in so... =( Aix mountain area wouldn't be too bad. So, head to Chelan crest or Okanogan will be good that time of year. Don't know about Oregon Cascades, but I would also assume they are fine as well. Just stay East.

brianle

brianle
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am 
Quote:
"Normally the entire Pasayten area is good that time of year, but it essentially 100% burned and officially not allowing people in so... "
Puzzled by this comment --- I hiked east-to-west through the Pasayten in late September (2016) as part of doing ~2/3 (about 800 miles) of the Pacific NW Trail. Certainly there are burned sections of any extensive trail, at least in the west, but didn't hear or see any evidence that would suggest it's all closed, nor would I expect anything like that to happen in October or later ? Certainly a part in the middle was just really tough going due to fire damage and downed logs, but again, no sign that it was 'closed', just that it was tough navigating and even moving for part of it. In case it's helpful in sorting this out, here's my trail journal, starting with the day my hiking partner and I entered the Pasayten wilderness: http://www.postholer.com/journal/Pacific-Northwest-Trail/2016/brianle/2016-09-22/Into-the-Pasayten/57383 Pretty cool to be that remote. Not all of the trail was in wonderful condition, however, I've never been happier to see active trail maintanence than when we encountered a small crew logging stuff out!

markweth

markweth
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 11:23 am 
A bit out of your geographic range, but the Selway River Trail in Idaho is pretty ideal that time of year. 50-miles point-to-point and passes through some really remote country and follows a beautiful river. A friend and I did this hike last year in late May/early June and had a blast.