Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interview: Tom Davenport talks about the beginning of NWHikers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 12:50 pm 
Glad everyone enjoyed the interview. Tom was easy! I think you would find a bunch of the other episodes just as good. If you know an outdoor author or someone with a good story, send them my way please! rudy@cascadehikerpodcast.com

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 am 
up.gif Nice interview, when I first moved out here nwhikers.net was my original source for information and partners and I have been on trips with over a dozen different people over time. My current hiking partners all came from networking through this site. Thanks Tom.

Living in the Anthropocene
nordique

nordique
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 pm 
As much as I enjoy this forum, when I'm checking out TR's, for the three hikes I try to lead, each week, year-round, for the past eight or nine years, l find WTA is much more useful, when it comes to current conditions. And WTA also offers links to hike info, which is good for someone of my advanced age, always forgetting stuff. This site, however, offers more than just trip reports, however, so I'm back on it almost every day--often in hopes of a report from Angry Hiker. Keep up the great work!

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:56 am 
Tom, I enjoyed the interview recounting the origins. I joined three days after you set up the site; I think somehow you kept a list of names after WTA shut down their forum and emailed people who were interested. I never realized mcaver was providing hosting for free. I remember asking a couple times about whether you needed donations, but no one seemed to be looking for them. Finally, I don't think FB will ever put you out of business, because they cater to people sending stuff (like absolutely everything) to their friends. An open searchable forum like NWH is far more powerful. My own opinion is that FB is mostly, with some exceptions, a huge waste of people's time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:24 pm 
Enjoyed listening to the interview. Great work, Tom. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:46 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I miss Mac's (MCaver) involvement.
I'm honored. smile.gif Unfortunately, hiking and photography are in the rearview window the last few years. Maybe I'll be able to get back into it again some day. Nice interview. Brought back a lot of memories.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 3:10 pm 
Tsolo wrote:
I never realized mcaver was providing hosting for free. I remember asking a couple times about whether you needed donations, but no one seemed to be looking for them.
It's not something I've talked about much, but yes I pay for the hosting of the site and always have. It's been my contribution to this great community, and I've always been happy to do it. It's not very expensive, to be honest. Plus, it allows what has been one of my number one goals for this site -- no advertising. Which means no sponsors to contend with. Just a community for discussion and sharing.

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
Gad you still come on from time to time! You are a legend.

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I miss Mac's (MCaver) involvement.
I'm honored. smile.gif Unfortunately, hiking and photography are in the rearview window the last few years. Maybe I'll be able to get back into it again some day. Nice interview. Brought back a lot of memories.
HEY MAC. Great to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and your family. Thanks for stopping by. AND, of course thanks so much for hosting the site all these years. Ten thumbs up. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 pm 
This was good. Not up to the technical level or hiking excitement of a williswall extravaganza with great pictures and an original soundtrack, but certainly very interesting for anyone who enjoys this site. Thanks Tom and others who I don't know personally, but who've done a great service to the community and enriched our lives.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 am 
Tsolo wrote:
Tom, I enjoyed the interview recounting the origins. I joined three days after you set up the site; I think somehow you kept a list of names after WTA shut down their forum and emailed people who were interested.
Actually, Scrooge started the email pool that held the group together, first when WTA pulled up stakes, and then again when the carrier Mountain Goat used to set up the first Forum went belly up . That's when Tom stepped in to create NWHikers (which, thanks to Caver, has been independent of outside resources). ..... Make no mistake though: NWHikers is Tom's creation and he's spent fifteen years improving it. up.gif up.gif Scrooge does enter in at one other point ..... up by Lake Lillian. embarassedlaugh.gif That 'older guy' that Tom mentions meeting? agree.gif Only we actually met a bit further in than that. "X" marks the spot. wink.gif
Chance meeting
Chance meeting
Tom had come in the long way, via the Mt Margaret Trail, past Lake Lillian, and gone off-trail up to a little peak where he could he could take a pic that included the Rampart Lakes and Rachel Lake at the same time. I was on my way back from the Ramparts, having come in the short way, up past Lake Laura. We met near the little tarns that lie below the ridge, just south of the Lakes. As Tom said on the Podcast, it was getting pretty late, so I offered to show him the short way out and give him a ride back to his car. Somewhere in the process, I told him about WTA. ..... That chance meeting may be why we're here tonight. hmmm.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 am 
Scrooge wrote:
As Tom said on the Podcast, it was getting pretty late, so I offered to show him the short way out and give him a ride back to his car. Somewhere in the process, I told him about WTA. ..... That chance meeting may be why we're here tonight. hmmm.gif
This is all quite amazing... The serendipity aspect to this Forum. How very fortunate for us all. ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am 
That is some great history. Good to hear from you again Scroogey. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 pm 
Lot's of fond memories here for another early member. I kind of miss those days.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 8:47 pm 
salish wrote:
Lot's of fond memories here for another early member. I kind of miss those days.
Amen Salish. There are a few of us still around who were early risers. Thanks to everyone for sticking around and supporting the site. up.gif