Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wallace Falls
Previous :: Next Topic  
Schroder

Schroder

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 2:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It appears to me that the Singletary / Middle May cut will be highly visible from the trail to the falls, not just the view from Gold Bar.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 pm 
That is unfortunate, as is the recent massive scalping below Mt. Stickney, which is inevitably marching north along the top of Stickney Ridge.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 8:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The Snohomish County Council has reversed itself on the Singletary harvest and the stand has been renamed the Middle May timber sale.

County Council backs contested timber harvest near Gold Bar

Quote:
A benefit could come after the trees are logged, because bridges and roads built for the harvest will be left, creating other recreational opportunities.

“Wallace Falls is already overrun and packed,” Low said.

Infrastructure will also provide access to more trust lands up there; more logging.

I'm out of free HeraldNet articles and wanted to double check - is the 25 acres they originally set aside still set aside, or is that included in the Middle May unit?

A judge in 2018 put the stops to the sale citing the need for more environmental studies. I can't find the enviro Checklist on DNR's site (it apparently was there at one time, but it won't open for me. There may or may not be a full-on  State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requirement, but the judge did say more studies are required... That doesn't mean that's still the case (or does it?). I also can't locate the suit on Washington Forest Law Center's website (there's not much current on their site). Long story short, I can't locate anything on DNR's site, and logging isn't discussed in the 2010 Reiter Recreation Plan. Since the transfer hasn't actually taken place, no studies will be done now; I was just wondering about the 25 acres.

If they thin, rather than scalp, that would be acceptable. Island Center Forest on Vashon is very nice after thinning. But I doubt that's what Middle May will be. The local junior tax beneficiaries as well as the schools seem to really really really want that money.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:11 am 
Hm. Woke up in the middle of the night realizing my compliment to the thinning on Vashon may be misdirected. Island Center is a King County park. If DNR is the logging agency (I don't know that is, easy enough to find out ), the direction comes from King County, not DNR.

So I'm back to ... Huh, the bastards, anyway. Why I oughta....! ( to those with no sense of humor: I am joking)

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 am 
I think it will be rather ugly, both from town, and portions of the trail.  The clear cut west of stickney is bad enough.Too bad they cant just avoid any area around the falls. Pretty much the whole photo Schroeder posted. I'm not anti logging.

I wonder if they plan on spraying post cut? I was not aware they did this until recently. Toxic spraying from helicopters. This is a link from a quick search. I think they might post current spraying on svena fb page. It would be good to listen for choppers, avoid areas, and pay attention to wind direction.

https://svena.org/letter-of-protest-for-toxic-spray/

At the first rest stop entering washington, there is a kiosk promoting washington as a photographer's paradise. Out of a half dozen photos, wallace falls is one of them. Odd choice, but it seems to be the one promotable thing the area has. It's always busy. Think they would want to keep it looking nice.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 am 
ale_capone wrote:
It's always busy. Think they would want to keep it looking nice

Those taxing jurisdictions $ee money a$ looking pretty darn nice. They apparently need it, and this is the way they can get it. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't problem. I see both sides. (tho those who don't see both sides - this doesn't mean I agree with one or the other or disagree with one or the other. I just see both sides)

--------------
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 am 
Eyes in back af your head and a mirror. See both sides from both sides, while looking at both sides.

I see what your saying, from this side.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm 
I see I was full of sh## about DNR and Island Center Forest. DNR xferred land to King Co, which Island Center Forest is managed as a model for sustainable forestry, environmental protection, etc. and the resources plan and management is from a really cool-looking organization, Northwest Natural Resource Group. This is outside of the thread's subject so I'll shut up about it.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wallace Falls
  Happy Birthday moosefish!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: