Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Thousands of rounds of ammo stolen from Crater Lake park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostFri Feb 10, 2017 11:29 pm 
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35267005-75/thousands-of-rounds-of-ammo-stolen-from-crater-lake-park.html.csp How many rounds did they need to take the park? Moderator note: updated title and moved to stewardship forum.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 am 
AR wrote:
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35267005-75/thousands-of-rounds-of-ammo-stolen-from-crater-lake-park.html.csp How many rounds did they need to take the park?
They are probably terrible shots. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 9:18 am 
Ok. Why exactly were there "thousands of rounds of ammunition" at a National Park? Is that like the Social Security administration having special operations forces and MILLIONS of rounds of ammunition? Or like so many other government organizations that bought billions of rounds of ammo over the last ten years? Shouldnt we be asking ourselves WHY they need all that? huh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ok. Why exactly were there "thousands of rounds of ammunition" at a National Park? Is that like the Social Security administration having special operations forces and MILLIONS of rounds of ammunition? Or like so .other government organizations that bought billions of rounds of ammo over the last ten years? Shouldnt we be asking ourselves WHY they need all that? huh.gif
Um, read the article. I'll be serious. They have to qualify and that means practice. I don't know how much they actually shoot at a practice, but buying by bulk is usually cheaper with most things. Plus, and I bet this thread gets locked, the ammo market has been getting quite spendy what with all the hysteria that was going around for 8 years. Maybe one needs to buy a lot at a time to lock in a price? I see no evil conspiracy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 am 
There are law enforcement rangers that are armed and responsible for enforcing the law within the park boundaries. I'm sure that county sheriffs and city police have similar ammunition caches. For that matter, I know people that have thousands of rounds of ammunition locked up in their gun safe.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 6:13 pm 
In a quirk of how our federal agencies are set up, each one is responsible for their own law enforcement. There are no "national police" in America, so each agency is responsible for providing their own cops. FWIW there is a bill before congress right now to strip away the LEO functions from the NPS, USFS, USFWS and the BLM. Because ....

AR

AR
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 pm 
This was just plain sloppy. Weapons and ammunitions must be singed for and stored in an guarded armory. No excuses. "Um, read the article. I'll be serious. They have to qualify and that means practice. I don't know how much they actually shoot at a practice, but buying by bulk is usually cheaper with most things." ...yeah, my fanny...I guess we all missed the big ass shooting range out there.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm 
Seems to me much to do about nothing. Sounds like they have ~9 LEO that need to qualify for certification twice a year. ~100 rounds for certification x 2 per year x ~9 LEO = ~2K rounds per year. Might be a few year supply that was stolen. Makes for good tin foil hat fodder for those inclined to wear.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm 
Right. Ammo should be stored in a secured facility, with no one around, sure someone will steal it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 pm 
Not like we are talking uranium. Particularly dumb for someone to steal ammo as I believe the penalties are severe. Probably a lot of caches of ammo for training and first time in how many years theft has happened? Again, much to do about nothing.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 pm 
Where are explosives stored now? I think some of that disappeared from the Packwood Ranger Station in the 1980s?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 pm 
If they are now armed, then sure no problem. The more they can qualify the better. If our rangers are going to be armed they should be competent with their firearm. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 1:00 am 
Tom wrote:
Not like we are talking uranium. Particularly dumb for someone to steal ammo as I believe the penalties are severe. Probably a lot of caches of ammo for training and first time in how many years theft has happened? Again, much to do about nothing.
Do you mean "much ado about nothing?" lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_Ado_About_Nothing Why can't the ammo be stored in a facility that at least has people there during the day? Seems like they are just asking to be ripped off...especially now, it's on the 'net, so others might try it too? wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:25 am 
Thanks for the correction. Now I can write more intelligently. up.gif The article says it was stolen from a locked building in the park’s headquarters. No idea what their procedures are, but like I said it's not uranium. Anyone that would do bad stuff with thousands of rounds would already have a stockpile so the harm to the public and incentive for theft would be its value. If they stole 10K rounds what's that worth? $5K? I'd think the penalties might be a fairly strong deterrent. Looks like minimum 15 years to life. Whoever stole it might be crapping their pants given the publicity.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:41 am 
The article doesn't provide info on whether the locked building was broken into -- or if indications are that someone with a key did the stealing.