Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades park now accepting online reservations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
I think $20 is pretty ridiculous. Heck, if no fee collection was involved it would be fairly easy to code it for next to nothing.
+1 A $5.00 token fee is more than enough, especially in light of the fact you have to pick up the permit at a ranger station, which itself is ridiculous. Just like an airline boarding pass, you could print the permit out yourself. Rumi EDIT: Upon a little further reflection, I suppose they are trying to keep people from hogging up the permits and across a window of time and then just picking the best weather to actually come. Not sure how to fix that. More thinking ...

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 pm 
Well, they could make the reservation fee more of a deposit. For example, $50 with $45 refunded to original form of payment if you pick up. Sadly, it seems the die is already cast.

drm

drm
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am 
My guess is that the in-person pickup requirement is to know that you are actually using it, so they can free it for same-day users if not. As to the obscene $20 fee, if their system is their own standalone one, then it probably is helping to pay for development.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:57 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
What I'm proposing is an online system whereby a user finds the permit zone via a search bar, the computer system queries the database and checks to see if there are any available in that permit zone, if a permit is available, book it only up to 24 hours in advance (or whatever it is now when you pick it up in person). If a permit for the chosen zone is not available, then everyone who has applied for a permit in that zone gets a random lottery. This is a very rough draft, but I'm sure with a little bit of time, someone can come up with an intelligent algorithm that would ensure fairness and convenience. Saves gas, saves time, saves resources.
I kind of like this idea. But I would tack on $50 for a reservation....and if you pick up the reservation...then you get $30 back. It motivates people to be honest with the reservation system. If no one shows up for the reservation by 10:00am then they lose their money...and the reservation can go to somebody in line at the ranger station. For free.

Art is an adventure.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 pm 
ITS GETTING TO BE TOO MUCH OF A HASSLE TO GO HIKIN THESE DAYS!!!

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 pm 
Another place to cross off my list! lol.gif Like I would go there anyway. Guess they aren't getting much off their $5.00 add-on to the License Tabs? Esp. now that the cost went way up for us poor saps that got screwed when that Sound Transit initiative passed. Or maybe it could be to help feed the Grizzly's they want to put back in? moon.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 3:53 pm 
drm wrote:
My guess is that the in-person pickup requirement is to know that you are actually using it, so they can free it for same-day users if not. As to the obscene $20 fee, if their system is their own standalone one, then it probably is helping to pay for development.
But that's really no justification. If it costs that much to implement that's a huge red flag they have hired or outsourced to the worst in class to implement. I mean, seriously, Ticketmaster is probably one of the most obscene when it comes to service fees and I don't think they charge more than $10 service fee.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:06 pm 
Yeah but Ticketmaster operates on a much larger scale, by orders of magnitude, which must reduce their cost per-customer.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm 
Ticketmaster charges what they do because they are a monopoly, not because they have scale. I would venture to guess most of their fee is pure profit. I doubt this is the first online reservation system put in by the national parks. I would think they should be able to leverage best in class implemented elsewhere. It makes no sense to me that each park would roll their own. But it seems here they are implementing something that doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint and charging $20 for the pleasure. SMH.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 5:24 pm 
Yeah, could be. When I first read about it, I wasn't hung up about the amount, just mildly pleased there was an advance online reservation option. But maybe you're right that the amount is excessive.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I kind of like this idea. But I would tack on $50 for a reservation....and if you pick up the reservation...then you get $30 back. It motivates people to be honest with the reservation system. If no one shows up for the reservation by 10:00am then they lose their money...and the reservation can go to somebody in line at the ranger station. For free.
How about if the permit cost a meager processing fee ($1.75). Enough to support the software (a few lines of code built into the existing web interface, then a payment link to pay.gov) and additional enforcement required for the system to function with integrity. For verification, how about if the permit buyer writes in a predetermined code at the trailhead register, issued by the computer system when a person buys the permit. NPS parking lot checkers come around and look for a matching code. If no matching code, then a ticket. That means the person at least went to the trailhead (which is more than can be said if the person picks up the permit in person at the ranger station). The downside is if you run out of gas on the way to the trailhead, the car breaks down, etc, you owe money. Upside is it's convenient, you don't have to go to the ranger station, you can leave at whatever time you want, it gives everyone a fair chance to get a permit for a given area, etc. Another rough draft, but already far better than the proposed pilot. A trip to the ranger station (wasting gas, wasting time, causing late starts) should not be required in this day and age. A virtual trip is all you should need.

pcg

pcg
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 8:17 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
NPS parking lot checkers come around and look for a matching code. If no matching code, then a ticket.
Lots of good ideas, but that's a lot of driving around - enough to hire another summer employee.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 pm 
Enforcement would only be needed for areas where permit zones are full. Boston Basin, Cascade Pass, etc etc. It's really simple.

pcg

pcg
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 11:33 pm 
Actually that seems like a pretty good idea, especially since it means you don't have to go by the ranger station to get a permit. I still think it needs to cost enough to pay for occasional enforcement patrols.

christensent

christensent
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 7:37 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
What I'm proposing is an online system whereby a user finds the permit zone via a search bar, the computer system queries the database and checks to see if there are any available in that permit zone, if a permit is available, book it only up to 24 hours in advance
That might not work. Lots of people would just grab a permit 23 hours and 59 minutes before the day, just in case they might find a partner, etc. I bet it'd result in practically nobody showing up who reserved a permit, and those who genuinely are prepared to go not being able to get a permit unless they have the fastest internet and a custom script setup to grab the permit automatically the second it becomes available.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat