Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pyramid Peak on Wonderland Bail 9.20.2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 1:00 am 
Over 30 times I've done the Wonderland, and last September I set out toward the 40x mark with my annual trip. I didn't make it. Not from weather or sickness or poor planning or a blistered daughter like a few times in the past. I got about two hours into it and just wasn't enthused. I wasn't looking forward to it. I started questioning my kit choices for the conditions. I wondered on the weather. But ultimately I just told myself, "screw it, just not interested." For whatever reason at that particular time, my head wasn't in the trip. So I followed my gut and decided not to continue on, but I still wanted to spend a day out in the woods, so after a break at Indian Henrys I decided to tag Pyramid Peak and make a day of it. As if following my mood, the weather slowly clouded over and by the time I was on top, no mountain loomed before me. I enjoyed some time up there anyway as the views to the south were cool and eventually made my way back, taking a break in the sun at a nice spot and aired out my feet, munching on whatever I wanted as I had 3 days of food with me. I can also say I thoroughly enjoyed the hike out, and felt invigorated after a day in the mountain air. I also had no regrets in bagging the trip and didn't try later on to salvage it. Very strange for me as I've been tromping this trail since 1984 and have never tired of it. In fact, I had forgotten about this day until I came across the photos so decided to post this late trip report. Perhaps in 2017.....
weather forecast
weather forecast
upside down
upside down
trail shot
trail shot
tiny spikes
tiny spikes
there go the views-Success Cleaver
there go the views-Success Cleaver
Pyramid Peak detour
Pyramid Peak detour
overlay
overlay
nature's paintbrush
nature's paintbrush
Mirror Lake
Mirror Lake
Indian Henrys classic shot
Indian Henrys classic shot
icy reflection
icy reflection
hoary flora
hoary flora
fungal pearls
fungal pearls
help on the way
help on the way
frozen tarn
frozen tarn
fall ice
fall ice
contemplating my decision
contemplating my decision

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 5:41 pm 
williswall wrote:
I got about two hours into it and just wasn't enthused. I wasn't looking forward to it. I started questioning my kit choices for the conditions. I wondered on the weather. But ultimately I just told myself, "screw it, just not interested
WW, I think we have all been there mentally. Glad you didn't get down on yourself. Some people beat themselves up when the goal isn't accomplished. You got farther than I did on your WT bail, compared to the time I set out to solo Glacier Peak and camp on top (I had previously done both on Glacier...solo and summit camp....but not both at once). Out of nowhere, after only maybe 1/4 mile on the Sauk trail, I abruptly turned around! Talk about an early bail! Where did that come from? I didn't attempt any self-psychoanalysis, quite unlike what I did years ago when I voluntarily dropped out of 100 miler #17 only 38 miles into it after finishing 16 earlier, with no drops. I never entered another one ( crazy things anyway, those 100s). agree.gif After doing the "long" 1/4 mile back to the truck I decided not to totally scrap the days so I hiked up nearby Mt. Pugh and camped on top, only to be awakened by thunder and forced to make a hurried escape off the exposed summit. Some of my very best efforts have been on solo adventures, but some of my failures have been solo as well. There is no one else to either be motivated and encouraged by, nor to disappoint by an early bail. Good time anyway. winksmile.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 pm 
The last time I did Western States, Janine D came up to me for congratulations....same happened to her, she just decided to bag it around mile 40 and watch her husband finish in under 24. That was her last 100, and you know what she had accomplished up to that point. Can be quite the head game sometimes. Thanks for your thoughts. Speaking of Glacier, perhaps you want to circumnavigate and summit in one trip? I'm up for it.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:57 pm 
your inner self is telling you to ... move on to a different mountain! anyway, you are mr. wonderland, no doubt about it. you know every inch of that trail, in all types of weather and season, and then some you'll return with a new focus ...

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:11 pm 
bobbi wrote:
you'll return with a new focus ...
I have some ideas....but I was thinking of doing an early season trip this year, maybe with skis, @ April or May.