Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ancient Lake Area (Quincy)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 1:04 pm 
Hit the Trail, Steve, and I decided to get out to the Ancient Lake(s) Area with the recent rain / freezing rain I didn't think I wanted to break through crust, sink down, then try to pull my snowshoe out in anything deep, and we were hoping to just use gaiters and microspikes. The weather forecast was a welcomed one with mid 40's and mostly sunny so it looked like a great way to spend the day. We arrived at the TH and you could see some blue skies in places, but not over us. I think it was around 35 degrees so at this point I won't complain about that and we were able to follow the path which was compacted down before the last snowfall using only gaiters / microspikes. The whole area was gorgeous with glazed over snow and rocks in and around the coulee. The lakes / potholes were frozen and we scrambled up to a rock outcropping at the head of the canyon and had lunch. The off path snow depth was probably a foot in most places with a 3/8" ice crust. During our break the sunny skies appeared and I was actually hot in my MH Wicked T, we also saw more than a couple frozen ice falls collapse from the warmer temps and sun. The hike back was just as scenic. Good time !
Love the glaze.
Love the glaze.
Sunshine did eventually appear and it was warm out for a change.
Sunshine did eventually appear and it was warm out for a change.
Coulee
Coulee
Lake
Lake
Looking out from our lunch spot
Looking out from our lunch spot

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:06 pm 
It did indeed turn into a good day. And the snow depth was about right for anything but snowshoes. Great outing and as always...lots of interesting conversation on a gambit of topics. I think we all trying to troll each other. biggrin.gif
Pride goeth before the fall...er..ice fall that is.
Pride goeth before the fall...er..ice fall that is.
Getting there.
Getting there.
Don't try ice climbing here..we witnessed several ice collapeses on our hike.
Don't try ice climbing here..we witnessed several ice collapeses on our hike.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:10 pm 
Isn't that glaze wonderful? I've never seen it before, and it took me awhile to figure out it wasn't a gigantic meringue pie, but it was the sun on the icy crust that had formed on top of the snow a few days ago when all that sleet fell. We saw great pillows of it on the rocks in the Wenatchee River on our drive through Tumwater Canyon on our way back from skiing the lower Nason Ridge trail yesterday. I assume you weren't punching through the ice as you walked. It definitely looks worth a try. Thanks for the pictures!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:47 pm 
Alpine Pedestrian wrote:
I assume you weren't punching through the ice as you walked
On the way in there was glaze over the trail and when we went off trail but it was 3/8" thick and manageable with that depth of snow. Very scenic especially on the slopes to the West. Slushy on the way out.

Living in the Anthropocene
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm 
I can dig it! agree.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 pm 
Beautiful... looks like you started from the parking area at the end of Ancient Lakes Road... how easy/difficult was it to reach the parking area? Thanks.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
Beautiful... looks like you started from the parking area at the end of Ancient Lakes Road... how easy/difficult was it to reach the parking area? Thanks.
If by "Ancient Lakes Road" you mean the one by the rest area at the top of the hill west of Quincy.....The road has been plowed all the way and was even getting a little soft and muddy in places as we left. Be aware you are supposed to have a state park Discovery Pass since it is on state land and there is a toilet there. I did not put one out and we didn't see one on any of the several cars that were parked there.