Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chipmunk in the Mist: Pk. 3,623'; 02.11.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 pm 
"Nevertheless, she persisted..." Indeed. Expect no less. wink.gif In these tumultuous times, it can be easy to get suckered into the angry voices of the city -- so many peeps on edge about one thing or another -- but Nature has a way of allowing one to disconnect from all that, for a little while @ least. A nice hike alone on a misty day has a way of calming things down & reminding one that yes, there are still some things going right. smile.gif up.gif I took off mid-morning yesterday to scope out an obscure peak near Lk. Morena, off of the PCT. I'd had my eye on this peak for several wks., but wasn't sure how much bushwhacking would be involved or if it would be a long enough hike to be of interest to anyone else. So, it was a perfect candidate for a solo hike. up.gif I made my way up the hwy., enjoying the green hills on either side, except when obscured by low fog. I arrived @ the TH to find 1 other vehicle. I checked my phone & saw 2 new texts, but they turned out to be the usual "Welcome to Mexico" msgs sent by Verizon. Evidently the phone has a difficult time distinguishing between being near Mexico & actually being in Mexico. confused.gif Oh well. dizzy.gif
TH
TH
I geared up, reset the GPS, & set foot on the trail. As I headed up the PCT, the drizzle began. There were several rock slab overlooks toward Lk. Morena reservoir & the campground area.
Headin' up
Headin' up
1st view to the north
1st view to the north
Another view to the north
Another view to the north
...& another
...& another
Not such a view...
Not such a view...
Big slab-o-rock
Big slab-o-rock
I kept an eye on the GPS & once I was traversing beneath the pk. I began looking for a route up that I hoped wouldn't be too brushy. Sure enough, I found an opening & entered it... paranoid.gif
Yep, that's a trail
Yep, that's a trail
I found evidence of clipped branches & felt some relief that maybe a trail was cut all the way to the summit. It made a couple turns & skirted the base of a large rock, then led to a cool little "cave" of sorts where it was obvious that someone had used it as a shelter/camp. The route was a little rougher after the cave & there was more rock scrambling involved. I stopped just short of what was prolly the summit boulder(s) or near it, as 1 of the rocks leading up to it was wet, covered in lichen, & somewhat slippery. I decided to save the last little bit for another day when I could take my group there. @ least now I know that this route "goes". cool.gif up.gif
Almost there...
Almost there...
Cave-like shelter
Cave-like shelter
Back @ the PCT, I continued further. I decided I would go as far as the junction w/the trail to Morena Butte & then turn back. I'd already hiked up the Butte about 5.5 yrs. ago & it was covered in clouds this time anyway. hmmm.gif
Looking back @ the summit
Looking back @ the summit
Misty
Misty
Foggy
Foggy
Nice place to be on a hot day.
Nice place to be on a hot day.
My turnaround spot.  Too foggy up there to enjoy the view anyway.
My turnaround spot. Too foggy up there to enjoy the view anyway.
Butte sign, & not such a butte...lol
Butte sign, & not such a butte...lol
I headed back, but opted to leave the PCT & loop down through the pine & oak meadows, a trip similar to this one 2 yrs. ago. I passed by a mystery hatch & chimney, & later on the rd. finally saw a few other hikers. I stopped @ the pisser @ the ranger station, & then was going to pay a visit to the rangers like last time but their office was closed even though the hours listed on their sign showed otherwise. confused.gif
I think that's the pk.
I think that's the pk.
Valley view
Valley view
Starting on the other trail...
Starting on the other trail...
In the meadowy area
In the meadowy area
Pines
Pines
Oaks
Oaks
Drain
Drain
Mystery hatch
Mystery hatch
Old chimney
Old chimney
Raven
Raven
Raven
Raven
Lk. Morena reservoir
Lk. Morena reservoir
No passengers in back
No passengers in back
History of a guy named Hatfield...
History of a guy named Hatfield...
Geezer Cove?!  Must be that a lot of old people hang out there.
Geezer Cove?! Must be that a lot of old people hang out there.
Back @ the car I checked the GPS -- about 6.5 mi. Nice easy mostly-on-trail hike. It felt good to get out for awhile & enjoy Nature's restorative properties. up.gif up.gif
Route
Route
Stats
Stats
I had a few hrs. @ home before a friend came over & we took a walk to my favorite local watering hole. wink.gif souse.gif
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message