Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lost Maples State Park (Texas)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
carlb328

carlb328
PostSat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm 
So I moved to Texas recently because my boys live there now. It's already warm here and I wanted to get some exercise as well as an early fishing trip. I had heard of this park from a friend of mine when I lived here before, and web reports sounded good so I decided to drive the almost two hours to check it out. It turns out that there are two trailheads. The western trail has a pond which is stocked with fish, so I took that trail. It's basically a gravel road, only a mile, and quite flat. It's typical hill country hiking territory, with small trees, small hills, and smaller rivers. The river here is very low, so low it looks like it might run dry by summer. Anyways, I had a great time. It's fairly scenic, for Texas, and there are several species of fish here between the two ponds and the river there's plenty of places to explore, though the park is small by Washington standards. I didn't go up to the high point, apparently that is about another half mile from the pond. I had a few good bites there, but it took me all afternoon to finally land a fish- a small bass in the stream below the pond. Not much wildlife today, other than lots of fish the only creature besides birds I saw was a scared turtle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 pm 
Send more trip reports to us. Esp. When you visit the Davis Mtns and Big Bend. My brother spent almost 2 weeks at Big Bend this past falI. I had to google this park location. Looks like a nice place.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message