Forum Index > Trail Talk > So I got bitten by a dog
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
In this particular instance, the trail is extremely narrow, steep, and icy. There is just no way to get along it without very close proximity to others; stepping to the side is not an option where the incident occurred.
Given the circumstances you describe, I'm wondering why you didn't hold up at the top of this narrow section , in a spot that was wider and/or allowed one to step to the side? Isn't one of the rules of hiking equette that downhill hikers yield to uphill hikers? Perhaps by following that guideline and allowing the hiker and their dog to pass safely through the narrow section the troubles could have been avoided.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
What I have fatigued of, greatly, is what some others mentioned: The narcissism that goes along with the people who think, for whatever reason, that the impact their pet has on other people on trails is not relevant. The "He's so much happier and safer and well-adjusted (etc.) off leash." and/or "I'll just pick up the poop on the way down." stuff.
Here's the thing, those people are never going to "get it". I have always let people know if their dog has harrassed me. I am shocked at the percentage that not only don't apologize but don't even make an effort to control their dog. Nothing really constructive comes with talking to those types. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Also curious how many of you have been bitten (or threatened)
About a month ago an unleashed dog, which looked like some kind of pitbull mix, aggressively charged me when I was skiing down from Snowlake divide. I was coming down the slope quite fast, and had to maneuver sharply away to avoid colliding with the dog. The dog continued to chase me but couldn't keep up. The owner shouted "sorry" at me as I skied by him. A week or two later I was chased in a similar manner by an aggressive, unleashed dog as I skied down a forest road near Hex Mountain. Annnnd...previous to those two incidents, I was chased down the south side of Mt. Hood by an unleashed dog about a year ago.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm 
I haven't been threatened (though have seen a few dogs that I didn't turn my back on as they passed off leash, given their vibe), but more than one off leash dog has come up with clear intent to go after my dog. I've always put myself in the middle (in major dog intimidation posture) which has at least bought enough time for the stupid owner to come running up and get their dog under control. I've also had a dumb guy hiking Rattlesnake ledges in big winter mountaineering boots stomp on my elderly dog's paw because he was too impatient to let us take a few more seconds to finish a tight stretch of eroded trail just below the first ledge (dog let out loud yelp, which may perhaps please Nordique? I was not amused...). Selfish and ignorant behavior abounds, but fortunately these types of events are fairly rare for us.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:25 am 
I have been threatened by by dogs on a few occasions without problems. That caused problems is when they threatened my kids, on green mountain one was menacing my daughter and I raised my ice axe to defend her, their kids yelled, "don't kill our dog"!. I kept cool, but I think the lesson was learned. Parents will attack anything that menaces their kids. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:45 am 
So for the dog mangler wannabes, here's my bad walking person story. I had about a half acre, all fenced. It had a car sized double gate that was sometimes hard to manage. I had a less than a year old Golden Retriever pup. If you have had dogs, you will know that that is a hyper active age and a happy age. She escaped the yard while I was going out the gate to go to work. Right at our driveway was a little old lady carrying a baseball bat, about to swing and hit my dog, who was running up to greet her. I did some pretty loud yelling AT THE WOMAN and saved my dog. Yeah, my dog wasn't supposed to be out, but she got out and anybody who has had animals knows that they get out once in a while. I got my dog back in, unsmashed. Nordique, you sound like you have a real problem if you get delight in stabbing leashed up dogs or even friendly unleashed dogs. Please stay away from my area. I might make you give me your info and send you a vet bill. Don't touch my dog unless I say it is OK. Thinking about using pepper spray? A friend of mine does that while walking her dog and can't seem to spray the scary dogs without getting on her a bit. And, once again, LEASHES ARE NOT REQUIRED EVERYWHERE--in fact very few trails around me require dogs to be on leash. Period.
Loaded for the return to the pickup.
Loaded for the return to the pickup.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:02 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 am 
nordique wrote:
Then I took a file to my hiking pole tips and am happy now to work my slalom kills on hiking trails when dogs come near (leashed or not). I like that yelp when I make contact #1. I seldom need to add contact #2.
Are you joking? I suppose I could somewhat understand this "defense" if the dog was being overly aggressive. But to stab at ANY dog, leashed or unleashed, and enjoy the resulting yelp... I'm not even sure what to say. I've encountered a couple of aggressive dogs over my 40 years of hiking, and I've also had a couple of minor incidents (scratch and a bruise) resulting from children on the trail. Should I take preventative measures and start stabbing at all dogs and kids I see on trails? Maybe a better approach would be to have a conversation with the owner if you feel the dog isn't behaving or under control. There are trails where dogs are allowed, and trails where dogs are not allowed. Maybe you and your hiking posse should choose trails where dogs are not allowed. And if you feel strongly enough that dogs should be forbidden on more trails, you should take up your issue with the managing agency and not the dogs.

Patient Pete

Patient Pete
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am 
Perhaps a ZAP stick would well in these circumstances. Its a hiking stick that has one million volts and would give a good reminder that not all hikers like to see loose dogs running at them on the trail!

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 am 
I could hardly believe the comment of Nordique, who actually sharpens the tips of his trekking poles to enable him to use them as a weapon. And not simply as a defense against an AGGRESSIVE dog, but on any dog LEASHED OR UNLEASHED that "gets too close". Trails are usually narrow, so this means any dog he passes is fair game? Do I need to carry a revolver to defend myself and my polite dog in case Mr Rambo Nordique is approaching us on the trail? This sort of talk is more contemptible than macho.

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am 
His comment struck me as so absurd on multiple levels that I assume it was an attempt at humor, and not something he really does.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 am 
LMAO at this thread. Yeah we are soooo going to make progress on this issue when certain viewpoints are censored outright. When I'm on some one else's property performing work (that they asked for!) I tell them to keep their dog away or they don't get their service. If they don't comply I leave. I'll never get fired for that because guess what I could sue both the property owner and my employer if my employer tried to send me back there. Similarly on a trail with an out of control off leash dog I make it very apparent to the dog and owner I will use whatever means I have to to protect my self from being injured. And guess what? It works because the owners with "such nice dogs" suddenly want their dogs on leashes. Then again not sure what I'm expecting here since this is the same crowd that claims dogs like to climb up broken talus fields and enjoy the views from the tops of mountains. Delusional thinking.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
And, once again, LEASHES ARE NOT REQUIRED EVERYWHERE--in fact very few trails around me require dogs to be on leash. Period.
And once again people have a right to self defense if they feel they are in danger. Don't put people in that situation.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 12:58 pm 
I got attacked by two big unleashed aggressive dogs about 5 miles up the Icicle River trail several years ago when I was on my way to do the Chain Lakes loop . I held them at bay with my trekking poles that happened to be equipped with Trek Talonz rather than plastic baskets. The dog owner and I had a brief exchange of ideas and we both went about our day. She explained the dogs were being protective of her children who were playing nearby and I accepted that.
Trek Talonz
Trek Talonz
BTW, Trek Talonz also work great in rocks and on wet logs when crossing streams. I never leave home without them when there is no snow on the ground.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm 
First off, CC, I'm sorry for your encounter. As a hopefully responsible dog owner, situations like this give all dogs and dog owners a bad rap. For your situation, a stern conversation with the owners would have been warranted, including a request for contact information pending the outcome of your bite. Now my take on the broader topic... IF dogs are aggressive, you should have a right to self-defense. Reasonable self defense. IF dogs are not aggressive, but the owners are not following the rules specific to the trail (dogs not allowed, not on leash, not under voice control, etc.) then a conversation with the owners would be reasonable. If dogs are not aggressive and the owners are following the rules specific to the trail, but you don't agree that dogs should be allowed on that (or any) trail, then take up the conversation with the managing agency. Don't play vigilante with the dog or owner, or expect bemoaning on social media to enact change.