Forum Index > Trail Talk > So I got bitten by a dog
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
Women are conditioned to be "nice" and not "hurt people" or make someone feel bad. F that. It is not my responsibility to make sure someone who is making me uncomfortable doesn't have their feeling hurt. That attitude causes women harm.
While I totally understand (and agree, other than the 3rd sentence) what you're saying, the caveat is the someone isn't MAKING you feel uncomfortable, you are feeling uncomfortable. Your sense of discomfort may have come from your potty training, for all I know. You may or may not be right. I would dare say that if you are right, you would not be hurting their feelers. . . .
No, someone invading space, putting off weird vibes or signals, not picking up on my GTFO cues is making me uncomfortable, and I have no responsibility to their feelings. Actually, I had several classes with this guy at college. He made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. He seemed on the spectrum, and while he creeped me out, I ignored my gut and was nicer to him than most. http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/26730607/neighbors-stop-rape-and-kidnapping-by-beating-up-suspect-before-police-arrive

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
The world is indeed full of rapists. Carry on.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
The world is indeed full of rapists.
One is too many and reason enough to always be on guard. I was also bitten by a dog once. I have pretty much always "clicked" with dogs and cats, they must just have that "6th sense" and intuition that tells them that I am a "Good Guy' and will treat them well. I went with a friend once to watch the Super Bowl at another friends house. As we drove up I noticed a dog running around in the back yard, I asked my friend about it and he commented "That dog's crazy"....I was like, whatever, I have never been afraid of dogs and not had a problem. So I asked the guy who owned the house where I should put the 12 pack that I had brought. He said, "Come out here" and we proceeded out to a back patio area where he had a refrigerator. As I took a couple of steps to place the beer in the fridge, I felt a hard pinch on my leg....and luckily for me the pit bull was on a chain and could just barely reach my leg, hurt, but didn't draw blood. I commented later that he is a good beer guardian. My friend I rode with told me later that the dog had got loose from his previous owner and bit someone, so he was trying to save it from euthanasia. As in most cases, I don't blame the dog, I blame the owners.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:07 am 
joker wrote:
As to the OP I wonder if this was a herding dog that was doing something along the lines of the "nipping at the heels" that some are known to do when trying to move scattered animals together. (again, still not a good excuse for letting it happen, but more of a "why the dog's behavior?" pondering...)
That's an important point. Folks need to research what the breed of dog they want has been bred to do, instead of getting a breed for looks or status. Not having a job for a Border Collie to do can drive the dog crazy. Keeping a dog cooped up all day indoors can also make it have problems.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:48 am 
Fair weather Friend, I'm curious about the "broke loose" statement. Did the dog jump a fence or break free from the owner? Just curious as accidents do happen, kids leave a fence open etc.. The reason for my curiosity is that I see people struggling with dogs and they don't have the proper tools to control them. I see a very old lady in my neighborhood walking a leash reactive dog on a harness. Zero ability to control the dog, and she struggles to hang on to it but then again that's what the Seattle positive only trainers brainwash their clients into.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:32 am 
The dog that attacked me was in the process of being staked in its back yard when it broke loose. The person trying to stake it was the dog owner's 20 yo son, who is a big, strapping kid who lifts weights in the garage. The same thing happened one week prior to my bite: Mrs. Fairweather was just a few steps from home when the dog broke free and attacked our leashed dogs. She screamed bloody murder, which seemed to distract the attacking dog just long enough for the kid to grab his pooch. I stayed away from this thread for a while because it seemed like it was deteriorating beyond repair. However, I still have one comment left to make: Every dog has a different personality; that's one of the things that makes them fun. And an extremely good dog owner can end up with a dog that is aggressive to humans or other dogs... sometimes because of their nature, sometimes due to their life's experiences. This is extremely important since many dog owners (like me) adopt rescue dogs. Abby, our chocolate lab, was four years old when we adopted her, and we kept her on leash for over six months just so we could learn how she reacts in different situations. You have to know your dog extremely well to let it off leash around other dogs or humans. If your dog is EVER aggressive to a human, (including barking or growling a few feet from said human) then it always needs to be leashed on all walks. Period. If another human is truly trying to attack you, simply drop the leash and let the dog protect you. But you know that won't be necessary. If the dog is straining at the leash to protect you, your would be assailant is going to be trying to get the hell out of there. Also, if your dog is EVER aggressive to another dog, then it needs to be leashed, even if you're hiking on a dog off leash trail. You might believe that "dogs can work it out," and to a certain extent, that is true. But if your dog attacks my dog, then I'm going to kick your dog, or shoot it, or hit it with a rock or a tree branch. Whatever I can find. And then your dog might attack me, which means your dog is probably going to wind up being euthanized. So save you dog and keep it on a leash.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
DIYSteve wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Instead they react to humans instinctually [sic] based on mostly visual and auditory social cues.
No. Dogs collect more information via smelling than by visual and auditory cues. See my prior post re dogs sensing fear or anxiety in people by smelling pheromones.
See, it's just as I have been saying, dogs can smell a rat, and sometimes that rat is in human form..
So people with anxiety are rats? You also said in this thread you got bitten, so I guess you are one these rats too? And I guess the OP and all the other people in this who said they got bitten are a bunch of rats.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 am 
Its a good thing the world does not revolve around dog haters.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm 
or man haters tongue.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm 
Schenk wrote:
or man haters tongue.gif
I do not hate men, but if you are down playing the harassment, discrimination and risk of assault that woman face every day then STFU, because you are absolutely blind to what really goes on.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm 
Ok folks time to wrap this one up. Value's running thin. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017231