Forum Index > Gear Talk > Shoes for Wonderland trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 6:03 pm 
I am sitting here with a fused ankle and would beg to differ about ankle support being overrated.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 1:46 am 
boot up wrote:
I am sitting here with a fused ankle and would beg to differ about ankle support being overrated.
I think the context of this discussion concerning trail hikers is assuming that one has strong ankles and feet with no preexisting conditions, injury or mechanical deficiencies.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 8:53 am 
williswall wrote:
boot up wrote:
I think the context of this discussion concerning trail hikers is assuming that one has strong ankles and feet with no preexisting conditions, injury or mechanical deficiencies.
And how do you think you get the injuries? confused.gif

friluftsliv
Gil

Gil
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:09 am 
I also think lighter footwear is the way to go. One thing I find important for long distances is protection between foot and ground. For longer trips I wear Sportiva Trango Treks, which look like high top boots but really are low top shoes with a high flexible cuff. I like the stiffness of the sole, which leads to less foot fatigue, at least for me.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:27 am 
boot up wrote:
And how do you think you get the injuries? confused.gif
Oh, I get it now, you have a fused ankle because you injured yourself while hiking in trail runners in the past, not because you have some mechanical deficiency, an injury from some other endeavor, or a general condition of weak ankles that necessitates precaution, like wearing boots that provide ankle support. Therefore it is only luck that I haven't had an ankle problem from wearing minimal footwear over some decades while trail running, scrambling, backpacking and ultra running.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 12:22 pm 
I think it's a trade off between light trail shoes and heavier boots. I think it totally depends upon trail conditions, personal fitness and preference. I have hiked in both and while I think my legs are less fatigued with lighter footwear, my feet then take a beating and are more tired, especially so on rocky trails. Plus many times you want the stiffness and stability of a stiffer boot for traction and safety reasons. On a short, easy hike like say Mt Pilchuck in Summer, trail runners are fine for most people.However, if I am hiking say to the summit of Mt Forgotten, then I will definitely wear my boots. When backpacking, one can have the best of both worlds, carry ultralight trail shoes for use as camp shoes and you can also wear them for sections of the trail that are easier. Bottom line is, People can debate this all day long, but in the end it comes down to what works for you.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 12:26 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Bottom line is, People can debate this all day long, but in the end it comes down to what works for you.
Sums it up nicely, YMMV

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm 
dad love mom wrote:
How many days are you planning, OP?
We're aiming for the last 10 days in August.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
dad love mom
dad love mom

dad love mom
dad love mom
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm 
Awesome! My wife and I are thinking of doing it in five days, four nights. We're going at the beginning of August. Out of all the people on the 'net, I'd definitely heed any advice from WillisWall. His videos, if you haven't seen them, are EXTREMELY informative and well created. The guy, in my book, is a legend. Weirdly, I just discovered WillisWall three days ago; I'm equally as weirded out that he just posted on this thread days after I signed up to be a member or NWHikers. Enjoy your hike, OP!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm 
Whatever footwear you normally use for hiking well maintained trails with constant substantial elevation gain and loss carrying the weight you would normally carry for a two, three, or four day interval (assuming you'd be taking advantage of the food caches on your 10 day trip) is what you should use for the Wonderland Trail. If it's those Vasque GTX boots, just use those. Look around for some super lightweight camps shoes to give your feet a break at camp.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm 
Dad love mom, I appreciate your words but I caution about blindly taking anyone's advice; I am just someone who is sharing what has worked for me. Put equal weight on the observations of others and their experiences, then see what works for you. Ultimately it's trial and error for the individual. I have found that the vast knowledge base on the web can help reduce the amount of trial, lots of good info out there from very experienced individuals.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am 
I hiked the WT in late august a few years ago. I wore heavy duty asolo hiking boots and had swamp foot the whole time. It was not fun and my GF who went with did not appreciate the smell. Now I wear very breathable light boots in the summer and leather boots in the winter. i have never been a big fan of trail shoes. I have done a few sections of the PCT in trail shoes with a +25 pack and never had problems with my ankle, but one thing I did find out is with a heavy pack the souls don't provide much cushion from the ground and my feet get crazy soar by the end of the day,so I stick with boots. Just my 2 cents.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm 
Swamp foot can be managed. Washing liner socks every day. Airing out feet at rest stops. Using a product like Mitchum's Smart Solid. Be sure to use the unscented version. It can help to prevent blisters caused by wet feet. I am normally not a fan of aluminum antiperspirants (excellent alternatives are available), but make an exception for hiking, as my feet sweat profusely regardless of footwear.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 pm 
trail wiseguy wrote:
but one thing I did find out is with a heavy pack the souls don't provide much cushion from the ground and my feet get crazy soar by the end of the day,so I stick with boots.
I know that this is sometimes true, but not always. My trail runners provide more cushioning in the soles than my current leather boots, and much more cushioning than my old Vasque leather boots.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm 
i try to keep the dogs in good condition. what ended up working best for summer hiking is dropping liners, wearing a synthetic thin sock and a light breathable boot. i also started using gold bond on my feet and inside of shoe which really made a strong difference. im a big guy and carry heavy packs, so i like a thick boot sole over a bendable runners shoe

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir