Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Rainier "Petal"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm 
Like probably many on this site, I've been giving some thought to what I'd like to do this coming season. Past practice has shown me that I accomplish maybe half of what I had in mind, but that's OK; I'm still renovating my house and I have to work, such is life. I've written about a past trek, the Grand Tour, which I finally finished off last year (150 miles/50,000' vertical). This year I'm planning a trip that I'd like to do in one shot; the "Petal" circles the mountain and forges up to between 9 and 10,000 feet, making it a bit more technical than the Grand Tour in that crampons and ice axes may be in use, but stopping short of technical climbing as I am most likely going to be solo (unless Luke would like to join me starting at Mowich Lake and ending at White River, some pretty awesome terrain in them parts...PM me if interested). This trip involves 112 miles and 43,000' of vertical, so a leg burner for sure, one that requires some training and warm up trips. I've found that goals like this provide the motivation for getting in proper shape, just like training for a race. Check out the map on my site for a visual to see where I got the name. Cheers!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am 
Interesting, WW. How many days are you targeting? Since you will be off the Wonderland in several places, why not shortcut a few more sections? Just curious as I've not done much off-trail hiking in MRNP except near Paradise (always on snow).

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 am 
Sounds pretty nice. I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 pm 
ChinookPass wrote:
How many days are you targeting? Since you will be off the Wonderland in several places, why not shortcut a few more sections?
6 nights, 7 days if I'm in top form. It is difficult to short cut around Rainier due to numerous glaciers and their attendant offspring (raging torrents). I've bypassed the trail in the places indicated on the map but this includes a sketchy crossing of the lower Carbon glacier, something I'll have to look at closely, especially if solo. Otherwise I'd be doing a high altitude orbit of the mountain, a serious mountaineering undertaking crossing numerous glaciers, certainly not recommended without a strong team. The altitude adds up on this because of having to drop from 9 or 10K down to the trail to get to the next section, therefore marking a pretty flower route traced on the map.

I desire medium danger williswall.com