Forum Index > Trail Talk > How far is Middle Fork Road driveable currently?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm 
Anyone know how far one can drive up the Middle Fork Road currently?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MattP.

MattP.
PostWed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm 
I went up to the Middle Fork trailhead on Sunday. There is snow on the road the last couple miles but it's only off to the side and and in the center: not where the tires are. Snow in the middle is a bit high but any car would find it passable. We were in a low Audi S4 and only scraped a couple times. Didn't go beyond the trailhead.

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 3:52 pm 
Curious how it is right now? Any newest info?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm 
This is out of date, but I was able to get to the Dingford trailhead on March 1 in my Forester. Hell Hill was bare, but I almost turned around at the "reroute" hill about 2 miles from the trailhead. The same day a sedan had to be towed out from the area between the Middle Fork trailhead and the Taylor River bridge because it high-centered. The road is generally tracked down as far as the Middle Fork trailhead, but beyond that it's usually much worse. There has been a lot of snow and rain since March 1 so I don't know the current condition, but I wouldn't expect to get up Hell Hill right now if I had to guess. The road was plowed as far as the Middle Fork trailhead after the first snows this year by King County, but it turns out that was a mistake and in the future it will only be plowed as far as the Mailbox trailhead.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm 
made it to middle fork easy in my honda crv Sunday. we hiked up to Dingford trailhead and bummed a ride back to middle fork trailhead from a guy in f250. the road between the two trail heads was rough but mostly clear of snow. I would have been worried in a couple places with my crv.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 am 
MattP. wrote:
We were in a low Audi S4 and only scraped a couple times.
DUDE! You took an Audi S4 up the DIRT section of the middle fork???? First off you should be whipped 40 lashes! Second, if you can afford an "S"4 you can afford a trail head car! lol.gif moon.gif doh.gif huh.gif eek.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MattP.

MattP.
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm 
Not the dirt section, just up to the Middle Fork trailhead which is all paved. And the S4 doesn't belong to me, I wouldn't be caught dead driving that thing to the trailhead! dizzy.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:57 pm 
MattP. wrote:
Not the dirt section, just up to the Middle Fork trailhead which is all paved. And the S4 doesn't belong to me, I wouldn't be caught dead driving that thing to the trailhead! dizzy.gif
Ok no lashes! Good man. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm 
I drove to the Dingford trailhead on Friday, March 10 and had no trouble in a Forester. The snow ruts are down to bare earth the whole way. Near the Middle Fork trailhead and a couple other places the snow between the ruts is deep enough to require 6-8" of clearance. And as has been the case since the fall of 2015 there are a couple gravel washes that require decent clearance. With continuing warm rain I expect the remaining snow on the road to melt rapidly. Also, no luck on seeing avalanches on Garfield -- the slopes were already mostly washed clean by the rain on Friday.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 pm 
Thanks for the up to date info!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 pm 
No snow left on the road as far as Dingford trailhead as of Tue March 14. This may be the end of snow on the road for the season because the near term temperatures are warmer and it's getting on toward spring. We've seen late season snow in other years, but not at the low elevation of the Middle Fork road (1400' at the Dingford trailhead).

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm 
Thanks for the update, puzzlr!

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 1:04 pm 
Took a quick cruise out there last night, went as far as the bottom of the tight turns on the Dingford spur just under Garfield. Had no trouble and it was a good test for the new CX-5 which performed very well, though turning off traction control was key for some of the crumbly stuff. A few rough patches getting over hell hill but it's looking honestly a bit better than the last time we were out there before winter. Temptation to speed felt ridiculous on the paved portions of the road until I realized I was going the speed limit. Which now feels like it's way too high. Also some drunk dude has swished his Jeep into the ditch where the CCC trail dips in to the road. Some sober other dude with a Jeep pulled him out. Never did see the alleged Toyota Corolla that "cut him off real bad."

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm 
Does anyone know when they're gonna start the weekday road closures again? The best I can find is "late April 2017". I want to do Granite Lakes but I avoid the Mid Fork Zooqualmie on the weekend

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:46 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Does anyone know when they're gonna start the weekday road closures again?The best I can find is "late April 2017".
That's what I see as well. It looks like they haven't published the 2017 schedules yet. The project has an email address, so you could try that. https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/wa/snoqualmie/ (Lower right under Contact Info)