Forum Index > Trail Talk > anyone here hike with Bob Hartshorne who died on Bedal Trail 1993?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hartshorne

Hartshorne
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 am 
Has anyone here hike with Robert "Bob" Hartshorne back in the 70's 80's early 90's? He died in August 1993 while hiking Bedal Trail. His hiking group, I believe, made a memorial bench somewhere on the trail. If anyone here knew him, or which group he belong to, I would appreciate a personal message. I am a close relative who traveled to Washington to hike Bedal Trail this weekend. Thank you

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 am 
I don't have the information you seek, but I wanted to mention that this time of year is not the best time to hike in that area, unless you like snow. Lots of snow. I don't know if the bench is still there, but if it is, it's likely buried at the moment, as is quite a bit of the vehicle approach (unless this is a different Bedal Trail than the one I'm thinking of).

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Hartshorne

Hartshorne
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 am 
The trail is on the north side of Sloan Peak. Thanks for the heads-up. I am at home in the snow, and will bring snowshoes. I figure the bench will be buried, so I am hoping for one of his friends to point out the location.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 1:00 am 
Okay, I assume it is the Bedal Creek Trail. I perused the trip reports here on nwhikers. The only one that mentions a bench is this one: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7981741 There is a photo, and it says it's about two miles up the trail. The Mountain Loop Highway is gated at Bedal Creek in the winter (which doesn't guarantee you can actually drive to that point). I'm not sure how far, if at all, the approach road is drivable right now. We've had a lot of low elevation snow this winter, unfortunately.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 7:45 pm 
Here is a photo of the bench that I took in 2010.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.