Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm 
ivhokie12 wrote:
Thankfully in places like Olympic there aren't nearly as many trees in the way which should make reading the landscape quite a bit easier.
another problem you may encounter along the skyline trail is fog. you can have your compass, map, whatever ... it's difficult to do a sighting, get your bearings, etc. when you're in deep thick fog! olympics have lots of trees biggrin.gif olympic national park ... 3 parks in one: mountains, ocean coast, rainforests!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 am 
You can also go over to the Washington Trails Association site and check out lots of other people's trip reports on the area: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports Just enter the HIKE name Change the REGION parameters Hit SEARCH

God, I am going to regret this someday!
drm

drm
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 am 
To be honest, if you're coming from out-of-state and doing your possibly single visit to the Olympics, I would send you up the Hoh all the way to the top of the moraine next to the Blue Glacier. When I did that, there was a canyon to cross with a seasonal rope ladder that provides some excitement. A side trip up past Hoh Lake to the High Divide would be a great addition if you have the time and conditioning. The view of Mt. Olympus from up close (next to Blue Glacier) and afar (from High Divide) makes for a great pair. And this trip gives plenty of lowland huge trees and upland alpine. I don't think you can go wrong in the Olympics but for a single trip, this would be great.

ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion! I was curious about the Hoh, but all of the trail maps I see have it as a dead end out and back trail. Actually nevermind, I was thinking about the Queets. That looks like a great area, but I nixed it as it looked like it probably gets overcrowded. Are there many secluded areas on a trip like that?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 pm 
^ yeah.. it dead-ends at the summit of Mt. Olympus. definitely a go-nowhere destination.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm 
My bad. See above amendment. How bad is that section in terms of crowds? I assume the only way out other than the way you came is the high divide? We could take that to Appleton Pass and finish up near lake Crescent.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
ivhokie12 wrote:
We could take that to Appleton Pass and finish up near lake Crescent.
If you're open routes that require a shuttle between trailheads, then consider the northern Bailey Range loop. Enter either via Olympic Hot Springs / Appleton Pass or Sol Duc / Seven Lakes Basin, and exit via Dodger Point / Long Ridge to Whiskey Bend TH.

ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 pm 
Im open, but hesitant. Deer park to quinalt is near the top of the list if i could make the shuttle work. I figure the northern more popular trailheads are easier to hitch.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:01 pm 
The shuttle between Olympic Hot Springs (Appleton Pass) trailhead and Whiskey Bend is all up the Elwha valley - short and sweet.

meck

meck
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 7:00 pm 
Keep in mind that the Hayden Pass trail (if looking at going between the Dose and Elwha) is likely to still be closed for a while following last year's fires.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 pm 
Ouch. Well that kills that idea. Hopefully its fixed by then, but Ill plan on it now being that way.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 pm 
ivhokie12 wrote:
If you had never been to ONP before and may not again for a long time, which trip would you do?
That is difficult to answer for me anyway. I have several favorites. We did one I liked where we started at the Dosewallips trailhead and hiked up to Dose Meadows, Lost Pass, Cameron Pass down to Cameron Basin, down Cameron Creek to Three Forks, then up the Graywolf River to Graywolf Pass, down to the Dose and back out. Side trips to Cedar Lake and Thousand Acre Meadows could be added if time allows and even a day exploring the area between Lost Pass and Cameron Pass. A route that covers basically the same area could be started and end at Deer Park. The problem though is that some parts of the above route like Cameron Pass could still have snow at the first of August depending how warm the spring is etc. Trip Report with Deer Park Start

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 pm 
I would do the High Divide Trail (a loop!) starting from the Soleduck. I would add enough side trips to fill up my week. Like Appleton Pass, out to Cat Peak and Mt. Carrie, down to the Hoh.

drm

drm
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:41 am 
My suggestion is an out-and-back, not a loop. I still think it has the best visual/views bang for a one-time visit. Personally I don't mind out-and-backs because things look different going the other way, but you do cover more terrain in a loop. It didn't feel crowded to me when I was there, though the primitive trails you're considering will have fewer people.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 pm 
Out and backs spend more time in valley's. Loops spend more time in the alpine. So, loops have more views.