Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic National Park Hiking Help
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
Out and backs spend more time in valley's. Loops spend more time in the alpine. So, loops have more views.
On average that's true. But some ridges are forested so have fewer views. And some alpine views are better than others and make up for it. So it can be a question of quality over quantity. And if the valley you're in is the Hoh . . .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:15 am 
Hey guys, thanks for all of the help a few months ago. I have another question. We decided to have the Skyline as Option 1 and Enchanted Valley as Option 2. If it is Enchanted valley it will probably take the entire trip, but with the Skyline we will probably be done on Wednesday/Thursday. If we finish Wednesday in particular we are going to need to find something to do on Thursday-Saturday. We are taking a redeye back east so as long as we leave the park by 4-5 PM on Saturday we should be fine. I think the dream is to be able to do the High Divide Loop. If we somehow finish on Wednesday and not be absurdly tired I think we might be able to do it, but its unlikely. Figure that is mostly because I think we will be too tired. There is also an Obstruction Loop hike from Grand Pass and Cameron, but unlikely for the same reason. The other two things I'm seeing are some day hikes around obstruction point and some time on the beach. Anything that I am potentially missing? Also for the beach, judging from what I'm reading online anyway, it still looks like the thing to do is hike rather than your typical summer vacation to the beach. Is that accurate? Its really unfortunate that I will only be there for 8 days. As best I can tell, this park is tailor made for someone who wants to enjoy National Parks the way I want to. I feel like I could be out there for two months and not get bored.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 am 
unsure if anyone mentioned this yet, but the bridge across Big Creek is 'gone', so you'll have to ford and/or find a way across the creek on your way to three lakes if you do the skyline trail. maybe you can start at north fork Q, hike up Elip Creek trail to skyline, clockwise, out NFQ. or the reverse. it'll be great to do the section from the trail head to three lakes, but...

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 pm 
That isn't good news. How difficult/dangerous would it be to ford there? Are we talking knee deep or chest/shoulder deep? I'm 6'1 for reference.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm 
here's info from ONP trail conditions: Big Creek Bridge completely off its footings but is passable. Above the bridge, a slide area is somewhat difficult to traverse.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 2:55 pm 
Sounds doable. I'm glad there is a backup plan in case it isn't fordable. If I wasn't going to go counter clockwise before I certainly am now.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 pm 
just take the Elip Creek trail from the skyline back to north fork Q if you go counter clockwise.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 pm 
Not sure if anyone mentioned it (I scanned the thread) But going up the enchanted valley, over Anderson Pass, up over Lacrosse Pass, then over O'neil Pass is spectacular and IMHO has a lot better views. I've done the Skyline Loop clockwise and it was good, but not as good. Here's my TR from that trip: Skyline TR Either way be safe and have fun.

ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am 
Yeah that was one of the primary trips I considered. My buddy seemed to really like the pictures I showed him of the skyline though. I may see if I can overrule him.

ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 am 
Wazzu, You went back down the EV rather than go down near Staircase/Six Ridge? You think that is a better way to go? FYI I talked to my friend last night. We both agreed that the EV was looking better all the time, especially after hearing that someone died on the skyline recently.

drm

drm
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:00 am 
Doing the three passes via EV is a great choice. A side trip to Lacrosse Lake would be good to add in. I did this loop a few years ago but accessed it via the Duckbush on the east side, and decided never to go that way again. East Fork Quinault is the best way to get there I think. The route provides a good mix of what the Olympics offers.

ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am 
Awesome! How many days would you budget including a side trip to Lacrosse Lake and a side trip to Anderson Glacier? Right now I'm thinking about 4.5 days.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 pm 
I'd budget a full week for the Anderson-LaCrosse-O'Neil Pass loop via EV, to allow a walkabout day in LaCrosse Basin, and time to visit Dee Lake near LaCrosse Pass, and Anderson Glacier. Park trail conditions page says windfall haven't been cleared above EV, expect lingering snow in LaCrosse and O'Neil Passes. That will make travel a bit slower than if the trails were all clear. Expect the ford above upper Duckabush to be more than knee deep, about the same depth as the Big Creek ford.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm 
Maybe you have already seen this but here is a recent trip report from some of the route. http://aclayjar.net/2017/07/a-five-pass-jaunt/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ivhokie12

ivhokie12
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 am 
Thanks all, I think the plans are all set and I look forward to giving you guys a good trail report. I might even need to nag another friend enough to come with me next year. There is just too much to see. Also I have to say I'm a little thankful that there is still a lot of snow up there. I sat next to a pilot from Seattle last week on a flight and he was telling me that its been a super dry summer. I guess that figures after the stupid amount of snow that the area got over the winter. Rough schedule now 1. Pony Bridge 2. EV 3. Marmot Lake 4. Upper Duckabush 5. Honeymoon Meadows 6. EV 7. Hike out