Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Forgotten meadows...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm 
Anyone been up there recently and can tell me how much snow there is in the meadows and on the traverse to Mt Forgotten summit?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm 
Just returned from an over-nighter at the meadows, still quite a bit of snow, but there are open areas to pitch a tent and the largest tarn is melted enough to obtain water. I took a "newbie" up there and they barely were able to make it back (having leg issues going downhill). They wanted me to pitch the tent and leave them there, I ended up carrying there pack for a mile and a half. It took over 8 hours to the car, but the important thing is we made it out and left nothing behind. I have been there 5 times and to the Forgotten summit twice, but I seen to have a very selective memory as to a trails difficulty...anyone else have that problem? smile.gif The trail is in very good shape, with one major blow down just prior to the meadows, but easily bypassed, no trash issues at all. Only saw 2 people the first day and 3 on the way out, so if you are up for a tough hike without many people, here you go!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm 
Last year I recall a few blowdowns to climb over. Are there new ones? I was thinking about going next week but I'm not a fan of steep snow. Leaving the top of the meadows that steep descent and then traverse across the steep scree I can imagine being dicey on snow w/o axe and crampons. The gully from the bench might also not be to my liking with snow. Last year at this time, it had some, but I only had to cross it at a low point before I could ascend on rocks. I did find the slog up and down Perry Creek, while pretty, a bit tedious.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 pm 
I was last there 2 years ago but I think the only new blow down is the one just prior to the meadows and there is an easy bypass. The trail dropping down from the meadows and the traverse across the east slope appears to be completely snow free. However, the north side doesn't receive much sun, so given the amount of snow this year I am sure there is plenty. So if you plan to attempt to summit, snow could be an issue, but the incline isn't severe so it still should be doable.

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 pm 
Ah, I'm a wuss so I'll wait! LOL! A slip in the gully could get ugly and put the kibosh on the rest of the season.

Pef

Pef
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 1:20 am 
I was up there last weekend. On the traverse, it is as brushy as ever, and there was only one short patch of snow that is not steep or exposed.
I bypassed the steep snow in the summit gully on the rock to the right.
Above the gully
Surprisingly, only saw 1 other person past the meadows, with a late start, a sunny Saturday and an overflowing parking lot . Oh, the summit register has could use a notebook if anybody is into that....

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 am 
Pef, that is the same route we took and there doesn't appear to be a significant amount of snow, so Chef, you should go for it.

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:36 pm 
Looks similar to when I went last year. Might give 'er a go next week. Brushing out 2435 this weekend and still have work on 4021, so perhaps I'll reward myself with Forgotten :-)

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 am 
Thanks for the report, I went by the parking lot at 07:45 sat and it looked full ? I haven't hiked in 3 years. Getting my legs back in shape and I'll then zip up that one again.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 pm 
Try mid week. Dickerman is so popular I wonder if that was why the parking looked packed. Given some of the growing access problems to other popular trails, I wonder if there is "spillover" happening...