Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you prefer to see pictures of a place before you hike there?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you prefer to see pictures of a place before you hike there?
I prefer to see some pictures of the destination and/or route
84%
 84%  [ 27 ]
I prefer to keep it a mystery until I get there
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
I guess my option in this poll is a mystery... you did not list it once again!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

touron

touron
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 pm 
Do you prefer to see pictures of a place before you hike there, or do you prefer to keep it a mystery until you get there?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AR

AR
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm 
I like'em cause I can get an idea of what I am getting myself into. Pictures never fully describe what it's like being there at any rate. i.e. Gothic Basin.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm 
Absolutely like to see pictures. Gives you an idea of some of the highlights of a trip. Kinda like seeing a trailer for a movie. Whets the appetite, makes you want to see the whole thing. Some trails aren't that interesting but have a big payoff at the end, some are cool throughout. You can't know until you go and do it yourself.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 pm 
My favorite places are some off-trail ones that I found on topo maps. No chance to see pictures first because no one ever goes there.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 10:33 am 
One of the biggest things I miss in Central Oregon compared to Western WA is being able to get current, or any, trail condition beta. Especially for new hikes, which right now would be all of my hikes. There is no equivalent in Central OR to the combo of WTA and what NWhikers trip reports used to be. (before people got too cool to report on popular trails.) I could always count on being able to find a some sort of recent report on just about trail, or at worse case find something on my trail-of-interest on a previous year at a similar season. yes there is a site for all of oregon that is supposed to be equivalent to WTA. Its not. Especially for Central OR. When I can rarely find a single report with photos or description of a trail, it will usually be a few years old, or at some completely different time of year. And if you do find photos posted from trails, they will usually not say where they are. GPS tracks? Good luck. NW trails does cover the area, but I often find I am laying down virgin tracks on my GPS while I am hiking a maze of trails most of the time. I asked for Green Trail maps at REI. "what are those?" They have a basic overall map that is so small scale that its almost useless and doesn't show a lot of trails. It is definitely a different style, and you have to be big on adventure or know someone. The local hiking group is odd to try to connect with. They only meet at 9am Sunday. Usually NO plan on where to go, so you have to be prepared for anything from an in town hike up Pilot Butte to maybe a long hike, snowshoe or maybe XC ski to the top of Broken Top. I usually pack differently for those options. And you end up with a car full of gear left at the trailhead. The up side is that you really have a feeling of accomplishment when you do figure out an area and create some GPS tracks and photos. Its just a bit more challenging to get to that point.

friluftsliv
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 pm 
Almost every established trail in Washington has some trail description and photos. I'm fine with that. You can individually choose to look or not. I find recent reports useful to know about what to expect in terms of logs across the trail, snow conditions, and other trail washouts/ detours. In a year like 2015; it was very useful to know about the potential water sources as well.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm 
Satellite pics help wink.gif I've done numerous (off trail) routes for which I could not find pics.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm 
Since photography is as important to me as the hike, I want to see photos of my destination beforehand, so that I can get an idea of possible compositions. Now I always like to have my own (photographic) take on a spot, but I usually start with the 'standard' shot, before I begin fooling around. Having said that, my first visit to Horseshoe Lake was completely blind. I was just working my way up to Jack Ridge...and ran smack dab into the lake. A memory that I'll never forget.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 pm 
While it's nice to see some photos and have trail descriptions, most of my hikes--including some of my best--have been planned solely with maps. That is changing, though, now that I am no longer able to hike the steep, rough, long trails. Sometimes growing old is the pits. As long as I can put one foot in front of the other, though, I'm not stopping.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 4:25 pm 
My trip last summer to Lookingglass lake was motivated by a single awesome picture I saw. I needed to stand in that same spot. There were also two shots of nearby valleys taken from the trail that I wanted to get. I never saw those views on the way in, so I was careful to stop at every opening in the trees to see them on the way out. I would hate to spend two days driving and four days hiking to a place someone else did as a dayhike and not see everything there was to see.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:05 pm 
Definitely don't want to see pictures. It's like knowing the sex of your baby in the womb. More fun to be delighted at the unknown. But I suspect the pioneers would feel the same about maps.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:20 pm 
Back in the day a pix of the view from Tank Lakes in an old book from the library prompted a search of maps and Beckey. The was mo mention on Signpost or 100 hikes books. The result was a trip on the Alpine Lakes High Route and a great trip. Today you can get beta of every step, adventure is lost. You cannot unring a bell, so it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:30 pm 
Sometimes I like to see photos before I go, but it's also fun to go with only minimal information on your destination. Some of my favorite adventures have happened when plans don't go exactly right and you end up somewhere completely unanticipated. Other times I've gone for a destination with underwhelming photos/beta and have had my low expectations blown out of the water!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 12:15 am 
I like seeing the pictures as a preview, but the reality is always far greater than the photos could convey.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:49 am 
^ +1