Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
See christensent's Hillmap link.
Saw them. The route he took (W ridge) is not often done, certainly nothing that could be called "standard." The route in his second link gets done (I've done something close to it on a ski descent) but I wouldn't call it the "standard" winter route.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
See christensent's Hillmap link.
Saw them. The route he took (W ridge) is not often done, certainly nothing that could be called "standard." The route in his second link gets done (I've done something close to it on a ski descent) but I wouldn't call it the "standard" winter route.
I was talking about the second link, which he also referenced as the standard winter route. That's the route I've seen described in trip reports, and it's the way I usually go. Generally on a nice winter day I see many people going up that way.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 10:18 am 
IME most winter travelers don't do that big zig zag, and instead take a left at the trail junction then head N straight up the forest on one of several ribs E of the big stream crossing. We (and others) often ascend via crossing the major stream and head N up the lower angle forest then work E to the low angle basin they work up the safest route to the NW ridge. Descent route varies greatly depending on snow conditions and coverage. My point is that there is lots of route flexibility and IME winter travelers are dispersed on several routes and thus there is no "standard" winter route.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:35 pm 
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:59 pm 
RichP wrote:
Large avalanche reported on Granite Mtn. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-03-13.1484429273
Thanks, RichP. It's too bad that those folks didn't give more information on where this occurred. Their report is titled: Pratt Lake Basin, Granite Mountain Snowshoe. I should think that Pratt Basin itself is well out of reach of anything from Granite Mountain. Their warning was a nice thought, but really not very useful. Here's the text: A word of warning! A huge avalanche, that most likely took place sometime last week, was a sight to see. The sheer size and evidential speed was awesome. Be careful out there everybody. It was a strong reminder for me of the real dangers out there. ~z A map for fun:
Open this map full screen.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I should think that Pratt Basin itself is well out of reach of anything from Granite Mountain.
They could have taken the Granite Mtn trail to the junction to Pratt Lake and in that case cross under quite a bit of the lower slopes of Granite. That's just an assumption though. You are right that it would be good to know more details. I've heard that slides have gone all the way down to I-90 in the past.

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 pm 
We could comment on the WTA report and see if they reply with a route? I'll do it later today if nobody else has wink.gif. Working atm... mostly.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm 
RichP wrote:
and in that case cross under quite a bit of the lower slopes of Granite. That's just an assumption though.
Yes, that was what I was thinking if indeed it was from Granite Mountain. There is that talus slope on the west side of the ridge leading to West Granite/Tusc O'Granite that could hold a snow load and then slide toward Olallie Lake. I for one have a keen interest if there were any slides onto that trail leading to Olallie and Pratt Lake. More guessing here: it's quite possible that they saw a major slide into the standard chutes that the main trail intersects with. Yes, PaleoCook, that would be a great idea to put out a question on that trip report if you are on WTA. Thanks, ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Photos and video have been added
Thanks Bootpathguy. From the photos it appears to be at the bottom of the confluence of those major avalanche chutes off the south side. This is where the main G.Mtn and Pratt Lake Trail take a major switchback to the west and before the two trails split, I believe. You can see this in the video--the very first few frames. So what they are seeing is typical for that location this time of year. It can be very dramatic. I was concerned if it was happening further along the Pratt Lake trail running west--pouring down through that forest. ~z Their video:

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 am 
Anyone know if there is a safe route from further down the Pratt basin trail, closer to the lakes? I've heard of someone going down from west granite, I believe

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 pm 
From I-90 yesterday a clear crown was visible from about 2/3 up the mountain and two gullies were swept clean of snow lower down and showing dirt.

pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm 
I was at Alpental the morning of Thurs. 3/9 and I believe that big slide would've occurred during the cycle which started that afternoon. WSDOT shot the tank and did multiple rounds of bombing, triggering very large sounding slides that deposited debris below Granite onto the highway.