Forum Index > Trail Talk > Potential for some very big avalanches now and looking forward
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 am 
The recent accidents could be the tip of the iceberg. Watch NWAC and be conservative. The amount of new snow is exceptional and doesn't look to be stopping any time soon. Expect tough trail breaking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 am 
Yes, we were amazed at how deep we could plunge our ski poles just off to the edge of the slopes of the Mt Baker ski area yesterday. And last week up in the Snoqualmie area it was already getting quite deep as well, with tougher trailbreaking than I'd experienced in some time. Thanks for the heads up. I hope folks get it that the consequences of a slide would be quite significant right now.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:00 am 
joker wrote:
I hope folks get it that the consequences of a slide would be quite significant right now.
If people got it there wouldn't have been numerous accidents and incidents this past weekend. I'm continually amazed how ignorant people are in the backcountry during snow season.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 8:56 am 
Thanks for the PSA, gb. Alpy was whacky deep and soft yesterday.
cartman wrote:
I'm continually amazed how ignorant people are in the backcountry during snow season.
Under the dictionary definition of "ignorant" (lacking knowledge) as a group winter backcountry travelers are more educated, thus less ignorant, compared to summertime mountain travelers as a group. IME, the vast majority of PNW backcountry travelers are cautious.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 am 
Yes, but that's a straw man argument. I was making no allusion to summertime travelers. It seems in the case of backcountry winter travelers that there is a much higher percentage of people who think they know more than they do than those who are truly educated. I encounter this repeatedly year after year among both non-skiing and skiing climbers and snowshoers. Bottom line: Be conservative. When the conditions are anything but low or have been stable for an extended period, there can be unpredictable zones in the snowpack and avalanches can happen. Certainly true after all the dumping the past few weeks; yet people, again, see new powder and get into trouble.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 am 
Would you expect more of those avalanches that take out timber and extend lower, i.e., are spots with longer return times?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am 
Pyrites wrote:
Would you expect more of those avalanches that take out timber and extend lower, i.e., are spots with longer return times?
No and yes. No, since timber destroying avalanches seem to be more likely to occur in spring when the ground acts as the slide path, probably after it has rained and the water has percolated through the snowpack and the entire remaining pack goes. This is called a climax avalanche--i.e., when the entire snowpack slides. We saw the aftermath of a climax avalanche on a south facing slope in May 2011:
Matt wrote:
Full depth avalanche on south side of Captain Point
Full depth avalanche on south side of Captain Point
Yes, in that if the pack is as loaded as it is now with all the new snow it wouldn't be surprising at all if the fresh upper layers were to avalanche and carry into and below the tree line. Also avalanches are more likely now below tree line on even small open slopes, gullies etc with all the new snow. Expect this to persist for a week or more with the continual storms and snowfall in the forecast.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:40 am 
I could offer a few competing hypotheses for waves of accidents such as seen this past weekend. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. One is that we just have more people getting out into the mountains now - it appears that it's both due to increased population and to a higher percent of the local population doing things like slowshoeing and backcountry skiing. That alone should increase the number of avy accidents seen. And it's not as if we wouldn't have had a fair chance of seeing one or more incidents occur on such a weekend even 15 years ago, so the population increase may be adequate to explain what we've just seen. Another is that a higher percent of people are going "bigger faster further" (or whatever the quote along those lines was from one of the folks involved in the Tunnel Creek tragedy, as quoted in the long feature article in the NYT). My own anecdotal experience would suggest this is true, both as seen in online trip reports as well as in facts such as that whenever I'm feeling OK enough about the snowpack to cross all the avy paths leading up to the Snow Lake Divide, the big steep (i.e. high consequence) runs on the north face of Chair are tracked out like Ruby and Garnet bowls at Blackcomb a few days after the last big snow. Fifteen years ago we might not see many tracks at all back on the lake side by the time we were willing to get back there - now we're always late to the circus (frankly we don't check that circus out often though, but from trip reports it's clear that my few recent experiences are typical). One risk mitigation tactic is to avoid long steep runs that hit terrain traps (e.g. the snow that piles up in fat fans on the edge of Snow Lake at the base of Chair's north face) when there is reasonable chance of skier triggered slides, particularly if the sliding layer is more than a few inches deep. My impression is that there are many people who don't use this tactic in nearly as conservative a way as seemed more the norm to me 15 or so years ago. And another is that there are more people getting out who, whether they have Avy 1 training or not, seem to be looking to the NWAC forecast to predict more than is possible. The repeated critiques I see on TAY after eventful weekends such as this past one about whether NWAC "got it right" strike me as clear evidence of this. Particularly when people gripe that something slid big on a "considerable" day - as if "considerable" hazard is a green light for skiing big lines. Yikes! These guys don't have a crystal ball - conditions sometimes change in ways they don't predict (e.g. a convergence zone dump that's bigger than expected can significantly increase risk above their forecast in local areas), and even "moderate" hazard means that skier triggered slides are quite possible, so terrain choice and on-site hazard evaluation are much more important than having read the avy forecast. I've seen more than one disconcerting threat on WA Hikers & Climbers group on FB where it seemed clear that there's a significant contingent of people who use the NWAC forecast as a green/red light for hikes/snowshoes that cross avy paths (e.g. Lake 22 and Annette Lake are common examples) in ways that made it clear that some of the folks don't get the dynamics involved (e.g. the paths that cross the trail to Annette start way up in the alpine, so the "below treeline" hazard is not all one needs to pay attention to). I suspect all three hypotheses are in play, and that the population increase has also increased the sway of the "scarcity heuristic." If you don't rush right up to ski the Slot or the north face of Chair right after a snow dump, it's going to be well-skied by your predecessors. I'm glad that I'm easily amused by relatively low angle turns (I guess I'm what some condescendingly refer to as a "meadow skipper" though I do like steep and tricky lines in the right conditions). I'm even OK just doing "figure 11's" down along and next to my skin track on particularly touchy days - it beats hiking Si again in mostly rain.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm 
joker wrote:
I suspect all three hypotheses are in play
I think you are correct. It's your third hypothesis which is most frustrating. NWAC forecasts are a guide, and are very general for a wide swath of terrain. NWAC forecasts are in no way a substitute for continuous observation and evaluation of avalanche conditions. NWAC provides an invaluable service, but they will never be perfect. Weather happens. Conditions change, sometimes quickly and dramatically. The avalanche forecasters can only go with the information they have. It's up to the recreational user to be responsible for their own safety, and that of their group. Good discussion here regarding last weekend on TAY. There isn't going to be any hand-holding in the backcountry. Those who expect otherwise are accidents waiting to happen.

gb

gb
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm 
There should have been an avalanche cycle in the South Cascades yesterday afternoon until about midnight. There will be a more significant cycle South Cascades Thursday night and through much of Friday. The North Cascades will have some involvement but it really hits the fan north in the period beginning Sunday Afternoon. Forecasts (current) indicate there may be a Pineapple express over Southern BC and Northern Washington that should last as long as Tuesday or so. A glance at Baker's telemetry shows that since February 17th or so the snow total at the lodge has gone from 106" to 185", with more yet to come. Should be the biggest cycle in the past few years. At higher elevations and in wind loaded areas, it wouldn't be surprising for some 12' crowns.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm 
Any good known places to view the 'lanches from a safe distance?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:40 pm 
Weather and road conditions allowing, I'm going to try to photograph stuff coming down Garfield from Stegosaurus Butte. But the slopes on Garfield are so steep they don't hang onto snow long so it's hard to get the timing right here and I've not been successful so far. Usually it's obvious on the drive up the road that it's not going to work. Except for the danger of hiking up the trail, Index will probably put on a show from Lake Serene.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 am 
cartman wrote:
I was making no allusion to summertime travelers. It seems in the case of backcountry winter travelers that there is a much higher percentage of people who think they know more than they do than those who are truly educated.
Huh? You claim to make no reference to summertime travelers, yet you use the comparative "higher percentage." Higher percentage than whom? And what is the basis for your disparaging claim? Is it possible that you, a non-skier, have a personal bias against ski tourists? What is your level of expertise re avalanche science? How often do you encounter backcountry skiers -- most of whom IME have avy training, make route choices based on that training and more often than not avoid dangerous slopes. Specifically, what have you seen that supports your claim that a "higher percentage" of them "think they know more than they do." How can you know the subjective mindset of another person?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 am 
And nobody posted about a heli skier guide getting buried in an avalanche early this week? He was dug out by the other skiers--they had beacons and knew how to use them, and helicoptered off to get checked out. This was in the Methow area. Any other info on this? It was in the Wenatchee World facebook page.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm 
Let the fun begin. It is just now tranisitioning to rain at apparently most ski areas.