Forum Index > Trail Talk > Potential for some very big avalanches now and looking forward
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm 
There is a skier at Mt Hood Meadows who has been missing since Tuesday.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:43 pm 
I-90 is closed in both directions, maybe through the night, due to high avalanche danger. http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/Snoqualmie/default.aspx

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 2:47 pm 
Quote:
I-90 is closed in both directions, maybe through the night, due to high avalanche danger.
Not surprising at all... with the amount of rain about to arrive on such deep recent snow, tonight is going to be a huge avy night. Stevens pass should close soon too.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm 
So, I guess I better go get the mail before highway 12 becomes gridlocked. I might have to wait at the stop sign! biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm 
Actually, someone on Turns All Year did post about the involvement of a heli-ski guide, a friend of the poster, in the Mar. 4th WA Pass accident. The original NWAC info only makes reference to "a full burial and recovery in the Cedar Ck drainage, just east of Washington Pass". The future formal NWAC accident report will surely have more info. As it turns out, the heli ski guide is the brother in law of the friend of a friend. My friend said the burial was 40 inches deep, and the guide broke his wrist. btw, it seems this winter has seen more Snoqualmie Pass closings and for longer periods of time than any I can remember (since 1980). Anyone else have that impression?

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
btw, it seems this winter has seen more Snoqualmie Pass closings and for longer periods of time than any I can remember (since 1980). Anyone else have that impression?
Actually, I was thinking that about last year. My impression (based on absolutely no data whatsoever) is that this year is better than last year.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 pm 
Went to smith brook today. I was the only car there, no snowmobiles either. Started out more like moderate conditions, with low in the trees. I had a dog with me, and her movement was only slightly restricted... Tree bombs helped. Snowed pretty steady the whole time. Nice light dry stellar flakes. Around 2 o'clock, on the second climb things seemed to change to the warmer. Transitioned immediately, back to the car by 2:15.. nice 3,500' day before the cycle started. No instabilities noted. Tree bombs and wells where a bigger concern. Was going to ride lifts to finish the day, but the where evacuating the pass, and closing the highway.. Friends in the lot said big Chief ridge was starting to get shooting cracks on their last lap... About twenty stuck semi's on the west bound up. Even with chains. Seen them driving three abreast trying not to slow or stop.. guy on wrong side lost. .. dot loader was pulling them up too.

gb

gb
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Went to smith brook today. I was the only car there, no snowmobiles either. Started out more like moderate conditions, with low in the trees. I had a dog with me, and her movement was only slightly restricted... Tree bombs helped. Snowed pretty steady the whole time. Nice light dry stellar flakes. Around 2 o'clock, on the second climb things seemed to change to the warmer. Transitioned immediately, back to the car by 2:15.. nice 3,500' day before the cycle started.
Your story reminds me of a trip to that area many moons ago. It was 21 degrees when we started, though it was already marginal at the pass. Soon the temperature shot up to 33 and tree bombs began to fall....from 150' up. Some of the "bombs" were as big as Volkswagens. You would have been dead and buried if hit. To leave the woods we would hug the base of a tree, use a spotter, then dart to the next tree, No damage done. rolleyes.gif

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 pm 
Speaking of snow, a friend of mine is trying to drive over from Montana tonight. He's stuck in Leavenworth because all the passes are now closed. He said he thought for sure he was going to crash tonight because the roads are so bad.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 pm 
Snoqualmie and White Passes are now open. Things are not noisy enough for White to be the only pass open. When that happens, I can hear a constant roar at my house from all the trucks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
call-151

call-151
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 pm 
From WSDOT_North on tweeter: SR20 at MP121 (Just west of Diablo) closed due to a slide. Crews believe it will be closed for several days.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 pm 
They're reporting snow 20-30 feet deep on the highway from that one.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 8:33 pm 
The search continues for the skier missing at Mt. Hood Meadows.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 pm 
Saw a post on the WHC Facebook page indicating that there was a decent sized avy on that open slope on the way to Lake 22.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am 
gb wrote:
Your story reminds me of a trip to that area many moons ago. It was 21 degrees when we started, though it was already marginal at the pass. Soon the temperature shot up to 33 and tree bombs began to fall....from 150' up. Some of the "bombs" were as big as Volkswagens. You would have been dead and buried if hit. To leave the woods we would hug the base of a tree, use a spotter, then dart to the next tree, No damage done. rolleyes.gif
That sounds both terrifying, and amusing. It wasn't nearly that bad for me. Big soft bombs that only went off randomly through the the day. Probably only capable of minor injury or embarrassment. No real carpet bombing cycle. But man did they go boom. I confused a few with on going avi control.