Forum Index > Gear Talk > Titanium Bike Locks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 pm 
Anyone try these? What have you heard?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 pm 
Dewalt lithium ion angle grinder defeats *ANY* bike lock in seconds.

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
I've got a TiGr Mini that I received as a gift. At first, I didn't like it because it was rather small/cramped to attach to things rather than my U-Lock. Now, I still have this problem, but I have kept using it. It is really nice and light, and it does turn heads, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. They have a kickstarter for a new mini square type lock. I think I'd have prefered that. Hope that helps.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 pm 
What drewcoll said is my experience with the Mini.
RandyHiker wrote:
Dewalt lithium ion angle grinder defeats *ANY* bike lock in seconds.
That's not the point. The point is to have two locks on your bike that require different tools to defeat. The vast majority of bike thefts are due to carelessness, or leaving the bike too long in one place or locked in public at night. Only the dedicated professional thieves are going to have something more sophisticated than bolt cutters, such as an angle grinder or liquid nitrogen. And an angle grinder on a top of the line U-Lock is still going to take minutes to cut, not seconds, and make a hell of a lot of noise and a huge amount of sparks. And maybe 2-4 discs to get it done. Best lock is still probably the top Kryptonite New York U-Lock or the best ABUS folding lock as your main lock through the rear triangle, with something like a TIGR Mini for the front wheel. You can also buy Pitlocks for the axle, but one of those can only be used on one bike, doesn't secure the bike to anything and costs not much less than the TIGR. You can look up the effectiveness of locks on the Sold Secure website.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm 
BTW don't get fooled by the video that follows showing LiteLok there are other videos showing that lock defeated in 10s with a crowbar. There is simply no way to completely secure a bike with a lock. All you can really do is locked it up better than bikes near it and take other measures so that bike thieves won't bother with yours. My favorite in that regard is flat black paint and Hershey's cocoa powder. Giving the appearance of rust.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 am 
That video is sobering. Cut through faster than I thought, even on the best Kryptonite U-lock (70 seconds). Different video showed cutting through the best Litelock multi-cable lock with an angle grinder in 14 seconds. However, no video of cutting through the top of the line ABUS folding locks, such as the ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 ($119 on Amazon); but there is a video cutting through the pin on an ABUS 6000 folding lock--the 6500 would likely be harder to cut as it has wider diameter pins and would require a larger bolt cutter. If you have a really good bike, simply never leave it unattended. Buy a cheap bike for locking up when shopping etc, and have a decent lock for the main lock and a different type of lock for the secondary lock. Anything that increases the inconvenience for a bike thief is good, they will likely move on to another less well secured bike. Most bike thefts are crimes of opportunity, and not due to professional thieves. But even the lousiest bike will get stolen if you don't lock it with anything more than a cheap cable lock.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 09, 2017 5:42 pm 
Uglification

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 4:44 pm 
When I ride my nice bike I ride it, not lock it. When I lock a bike it is my 2001 Giant Boulder. If someone wants it they can have it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 5:26 pm 
cartman wrote:
However, no video of cutting through the top of the line ABUS folding locks, such as the ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 ($119 on Amazon
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/1381/cycling-locks-tested-until-breaking-point Bolt Croppers: 51 seconds Angle Grinder: 28 seconds

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm 
Good info on the locks. up.gif Any numbers on locks being cut by grinders? In Seattle? Like they say, "if they really want it, they'll get it...." Different locks sounds good, make it harder. That's about all you can do.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 am 
This doesn't have any info on the methods -- but information on the frequency by Seattle Police Precinct http://www.seattlepi.com/lists/slideshow/Where-do-Seattle-bike-thieves-steal-the-most-66949/photo-4955618.php Here is some additional info on bike theft trends and counter measures in Seattle http://bicyclesecurityadvocates.org/2016/05/09/a-bicycle-is-stolen-every-hour-in-seattle-and-accelerating/ http://bicyclesecurityadvocates.org/2016/05/10/how-bicycle-security-advocates-is-fighting-bike-theft/ This website is in Dutch -- but has extensive ratings 1-5 stars on a range of locks. https://www.stichtingart.nl/ The TiGr locks get a two star rating https://www.stichtingart.nl/slotenpage/?fwp_goedkeurnummer=TiGr

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:23 am 
Stopped by REI today to get a first hand look at locks. I wanted to see the TiGr lock and some others. While looking, I found it ironic that they have security devices to prevent theft of anti theft devices.....And a sales staff pointed this out as well, we had a laugh. Thieves are crazy!