Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cairn app
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
alihiker
PNW Hiker

alihiker
PNW Hiker
PostWed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm 
Wondering if anyone has used the Cairn app to check cell coverage or share trip plans with safety contacts while on the trail. If so what do you think? Do you use other apps on the trail? Thanks Ali

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:34 pm 
Have used it to get an idea of the potential areas for cell phone coverage for a particular hike. For popular trails like the pct it does work. The other features not so familiar with. Halfmiles and Guthooks apps while on the pct. Skyview, for the stars CloudSpotter, my ability for cloud identification has been poor over the years. After using daily for the last couple months getting pretty good. Now I just need to reread the theory books on weather prediction and actually get something out of them this time. Gaia, GPS app Wunderground, weather forecast Saw a cool trick last year where a thruhiker was using a screenshot capture utility to take a picture of the long term weather forecast for future reference. Need to look into getting one myself. Wunderground goes blank after a number of hours without cell service There are apps that visually show you where sun and moon will rise and set for your particular location. Photography. There are a lot of them and they all appear to cost something. Need to research it out and figure which one will work for me. Peakfinder, basic but it has on more than one occasion put to bed arguments within the family about which peak we were actually looking at. First aid/ Wilderness mediciane, Yet to find a good one. Red Cross, St Johns are very basic and assume an ambulance will soon be on scene. Not that you would want me to be your pretend doctor, but having detailed instructions on how to deal with a dislocated Shoulder would be nice if medical help were days a way. Relying on my notoriously bad memory might be a very bad day for you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message