Forum Index > Gear Talk > Inreach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm 
I've been using the older black model of the InReach with no screen for several years. It pairs with my smartphone. That's why I got that model - because I already had the phone, I just needed a way to communicate with home and call for help if I needed it. It works well 90% of the time. Rarely I'll have an issue with it connecting to my smartphone, so I just have to send the prearranged message if I need to. I cannot leave the batteries in it, or they will die, so I just put the batteries in it when I need to send a message. If I'm in a tight canyon under old growth, sometimes it takes awhile for it to locate the satellites and get a signal to send messages. Sometimes I don't receive messages back before I turn the thing off and put the batteries away again. But that has not been an issue for me. I don't use it for tracking. I have a GPS program on my phone, and I rarely go off trail. I don't go on very many overnights, so the battery issue isn't that big of a deal for me. When I have gone over the 10 free messages in a month, it's very cheap for those extra messages. The $13 a month is worth it for the peace of mind (and peace of husband's mind!) I did use it to text him to send me a tow truck when my car broke down on the way to a trailhead out of cell range. up.gif When I have had problems with software updates or syncing with my phone, the customer support people have been very helpful and not condescending. I haven't had to call them since they got bought out, but I haven't noticed any difference in the service at all.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 6:57 pm 
Are InReach - to - InReach messages free?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Are InReach - to - InReach messages free?
Depends on your plan. With basic safety you get 10 free messages per month, then 50 cents per after that. Works real well though, I gave my older InReach to my daughter and she texted me (new mini) when we were on a summit...."Dad you are a doofus" cost me $.50

I desire medium danger williswall.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Sep 10, 2018 6:41 am 
williswall wrote:
"Dad you are a doofus" cost me $.50
lol.gif Now THAT's love! Nice!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology