Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rockhouse Cyn - Bow Willow Loop, Dinner w/NW Hikers 03.08.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm 
Last wk. I skipped town & joined a group doing a day hike in ABDSP -- the standard loop hike incorporating Rockhouse Canyon & Bow Willow Canyon. The hike was to be led by 2 volunteer naturalists & interpretive in nature, therefore I knew they wouldn't be going too fast (one of the main reasons I rarely go hiking in a group other than my own). It was a sunny warm day & we had a group of 15. cool.gif We parked @ Bow Willow CG, introduced ourselves, & set off. Many of the peeps were there on vacation or were snowbirds who lived 1/2 the yr. somewhere else where it sucks in the Winter. Thankfully everyone was prepared w/water & sun protection, & some were brandishing books on flower ID. peace.gif We started up the easy flat wash, & the flower ID began immediately. The goal was to ID @ least 50 different species of blooming plants. By the end of the hike we had surpassed that #. Soon we turned left up a wash that has some minor rock scrambling/dry waterfalls.
Starting up the wash
Starting up the wash
Lone palm
Lone palm
Heading up the canyon
Heading up the canyon
Once things flattened out, we took a piss/water/snack break. Shade was scarce & those who chose to piss 1st lost out on the shady spots. doh.gif moon.gif
Funky rocks
Funky rocks
Horned lizard
Horned lizard
Horned lizard
Horned lizard
More blooms
More blooms
Easy walking
Easy walking
More blooms, cholla
More blooms, cholla
Pointy rock
Pointy rock
Penis rock
Penis rock
Checking out blooming ocotillo
Checking out blooming ocotillo
We dropped down the canyon, passing some blooming fishhook cacti along the way. When we reached the bottom & intersected Rockhouse Canyon, we took another break. I nabbed a small patch of shade behind a bush. embarassedlaugh.gif
Bloomin' fishhook
Bloomin' fishhook
Fishhook cacti
Fishhook cacti
Bloomin' fishhook cactus
Bloomin' fishhook cactus
A fatter one
A fatter one
Heading down into Rockhouse Cyn
Heading down into Rockhouse Cyn
Then, the long gradually inclining walk up the wide canyon to the old rockhouse/shack. There we took a longer break & a few of us huddled behind a healthy ocotillo. redface.gif
Inside the rock house
Inside the rock house
@ the rock house
@ the rock house
We turned back north & went up the saddle, stopping briefly @ the top. We descended most of the way down before stopping & waiting for the sweep to catch up. hink.gif
Looking back down toward the Rock House
Looking back down toward the Rock House
@ the saddle looking down into Bow Willow Cyn
@ the saddle looking down into Bow Willow Cyn
We reached the bottom & turned right to head down Bow Willow Canyon, still dry even after all the rain we've had. Evidently I got tired of taking pics of flowers b/c my next pics were my last back @ the car. wink.gif
Almost 9 mi.
Almost 9 mi.
Our loop track
Our loop track
Then, a rush back home to get showered up before mtg. Sadie's Driver, Barry, BPLlama, & other friends in El Cajon for dinner & drinks. wink.gif up.gif up.gif
Yum!
Yum!
Barry, BC, Sadie's Driver, BPLlama
Barry, BC, Sadie's Driver, BPLlama

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message