Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spider Gap/Buck Creek Loop Questions (side trails, best map)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 am 
A buddy and I are looking to backpack this loop in the second half of August this summer. We're flying into SEA from Indianapolis, so we want to make the most of the trip and camp 5 nights. With the base the loop around 38 miles (according to Michael Lanza), I was looking into side trails to add more miles and nights to the trip. (For context, we did the JMT last year averaging around 13 miles a day.) After some research, I found several interesting side trails and wanted to get your input about what they would add to the overall trip, as well as the approx mileage so that I can get an idea of an itinerary. Options: -Image Lake: by most accounts this is a must-do side trip. Seems to be ~6 miles round trip. -Flower Dome: have read mixed reactions, but only ~2 miles round trip. -High Pass Trail (1562.2): by most accounts also a must-do side trip. Can't find accurate mileage here; maybe 3-4 miles from the Buck Creek Pass to High Pass? So 6-8 miles round trip? There also seems to be an option to go to Buck Mountain, but it may be somewhat technical? Would it even be a good trail to take? -Pass No Pass: not a ton info about this side trail, but from maps looks like about a 1-1.5 miles from Buck Creek Pass to Pass No Pass (3 miles R/T). Can also take to the summit of Fortress Mountain, which looks like an interesting scramble to the top. Round trip from Buck Creek Pass to Fortress Mountain would be 4-5 miles? Most of the options originate around Buck Creek Pass, would it be a good idea to camp in the area for 2 nights to do side trips? Edit: are there other options I haven't considered? One last question, what is a good map to bring on the trip? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RickZman

RickZman
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 am 
Here is a picture of Image lake. As you can see, it's a MUST side trip.

RickZman
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am 
I listed Image Lake as an option, but really I've already decided to do it, because as you said, its a must-see. So lets just assume I'm at approx 44 miles now with the loop and Image Lake side trip. I feel like I could still add some mileage for 5 nights.

drm

drm
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 am 
Unlike your other side trips, you want to camp at Image Lake. Not right by it, camps are down below. While you don't have the lake view from those camps, views of Glacier Peak are still fantastic. And this sidetrip needs to include a further walk to Miner's Ridge Lookout. I did the sidetrip to Flower Dome and was disappointed. It was short but very steep. After a long day on the trail - and that involved lots of up and down - I didn't need another steep climb, even without the pack. And of course the flowers weren't in season when I was there (too early). I assume it would be worthwhile if the flowers were peaking. Unfortunately I didn't go to High Pass. I think the side trip to the peak above Cloudy Pass (Cloudy Peak?) would be really worthwhile. I didn't do it because I was more time limited than you. It won't add a lot of miles but the views down to Lyman Lakes and elsewhere should be fantastic, weather permitting. Others here can provide details better than I. And if you're really looking for more mileage options, taking the other trail up from just above Spider Meadows (where you head up to or down from Spider Gap) would provide a whole separate subalpine valley to explore.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 am 
Definitely definitely definitely go to High Pass. (But if there is a steep lingering snowfield in the way on the final traverse to the true pass, and you don't have skills/equipment for that, just quit at the snowfield. You get most of the view from right before the snowfield, so you're not missing much.)

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:12 am 
Any idea how far it is from Buck Creek to that snowfield? Also, thanks for the input drm.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 am 
Hmm, it's been a long time. Not that far. Somewhere in the 2 to 3 mile range each way?

iron

iron
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am 
do all of your side trips except pass no pass. buck is straightforward, but is off trail from high pass. you'd need to navigated. also, this year, high pass will surely have snow for the whole summer due to the healthy snowpack, so that might deter you from venturing in there. fortress is a higher end scramble. image lake is great (probably better when the suiattle river road was washed out, reducing the crowds) i liked flower dome fine enough. not great, but good, especially if you live out of state. for 2 miles and a little effort, i'm sure you won't regret going up it while you're flying back to indy and look down as you're crossing the rockies and think "dang, that's the end of the mountains".

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 am 
The snowfield at High Pass is roughly here:
Views are great before that already. If you would be turned around by the field, then that's really only a problem if you insist on camping at High Pass or want to continue beyond High Pass. I don't have a GPS track to check, but drawing it on the map indicates ~3 miles one-way. If you need any more extensions: I remember some nice reports of scrambling to Cloudy Peak. You may want to check that.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am 
Btw, keep an eye on what the forest service will do with the Buck Creek fire. The trail needs to cleared still as far as I know, and if they determine that there is too much risk of falling trees or slides, then possibly the trail could stay closed. This should be known in June/July, I'd say.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 am 
Good suggestion on the scramble up Cloudy Peak. Last little bit gets more scrambly, but you can get to within about 20 vertical ft. of the summit fairly easily and get all of the views. Directly below Cloudy Peak is a great camp, just east of Cloudy Pass in a nice meadowy area, w/ a view across to the Entiat Range. I think someone mentioned it above, from Spider Meadow the short side trip to Phelps Creek Basin is very nice and worthwhile. Only adds a few miles. High Pass might be difficult to reach if the infamous steep snow field is there, but picking your way down to Triad Lake from just before the pass is very worthwhile, haven't seen that mentioned. Triad is one of the most beautiful lakes in the entire state in my opinion. Another good camp option just off the main trail is Sheep Camp, about a mile detour once you crest Middle Ridge. Beautiful spot. In addition to Image Lake and the lookout on Miners Ridge, I wish I would've walked up to the high point immediately behind Image Lake. Don't know if that is a named peak but it looked completely non-technical. Couldn't see Dome Peak from the lookout, I imagine the view would've be more expansive from higher up on that ridge line. It's a fantastic loop. Enjoy! Here's a link to my trip there in summer of '15. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017707

iron

iron
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
In addition to Image Lake and the lookout on Miners Ridge, I wish I would've walked up to the high point immediately behind Image Lake. Don't know if that is a named peak but it looked completely non-technical. Couldn't see Dome Peak from the lookout, I imagine the view would've be more expansive from higher up on that ridge line.
we camped up there: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7983864

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am 
The views from Miner's Ridge (short climb from Image Lake) are awesome, well worth a sunset stroll. Flower Dome is another sunset stroll from the camping area at Buck Creek Pass. We were lucky enough to be there for the peak of the lupines and for the full moon! After watching the sun set behind Glacier Peak, we were facing an equally wonderful moonrise while hiking back down to camp! I did this trip many years ago with a group. We were out for 9 days, which included a zero day at Lyman Lake (some did Cloudy Peak that day), a zero day at Buck Creek Pass (for the side trip to High Pass) and a two-day out-and-back sidetrip to Canyon Lake. That last looked like an easy trip on the maps, but actually the trail had an awful lot of really big ups and downs, which had us all complaining (since we'd all studied the maps which showed a leisurely stroll along a single contour line--ha!). We did spend a lot of time watching sunrise and sunset and moonrise on Glacier Peak! Spectacular! The snowfield from Spider Gap to upper Lyman Lake will undoubtedly be bigger than usual this year. If icy, the descent can be hazardous. A mid-to-late afternoon descent in the slush will be safer.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:43 am 
Thank you all for the great ideas and suggestions, most of which I hadn't come across yet in trip reports, etc. Looks like I'll have no trouble staying occupied outside of the main loop.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am 
Google "Rocks and Routes PDF USGS" its an old hiking book, has all the info you need. Check out the massie lake high route as well. Canyon Lake is out beyond Image lake too and is one of the most remote places with a trail directly too it. Beyond Canyon Lake there is totem and ross pass (places very few humans go) I'd bet on the High Pass snowfield lasting well into September this year