Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spider Gap/Buck Creek Loop Questions (side trails, best map)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm 
We did a trip where we camped near Buck Creek Pass (hiking up from Trinity TH) at the base of Flower Dome. Although we did not go up Flower Dome, it would be a very short side trip from there, maybe a hour to the summit. I'd highly recommend a trip to High Pass, even if you don't make it over the pass, Triad Lake is a really gorgeous alpine lake. I can't remember the exact mileage, but I want to say that it is about 8 miles roundtrip from Buck Creek Pass to High Pass. Buck Mountain is an off trail scramble and would involve probably a full day at least. if it's clear, the views of Glacier Peak from Buck Pass are stunning!

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:35 pm 
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
The Open Street Map database appears to have most of the trails I encountered in the region (except the old trail from High Pass down to the Napeequa valley and Little Giant pass - maybe I'll add those). CalTopo is one way to see them - http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=48.15268,-120.87023&z=13&b=oc&o=r&n=0.24 (there's some kind of API problem now so there are "API key required" watermarks on the map). Or use OpenStreetMap directly http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/48.1569/-120.9118&layers=C I typically screenshot and print disposable maps from these sites. It helps if you have a big screen.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Btw, keep an eye on what the forest service will do with the Buck Creek fire. The trail needs to cleared still as far as I know, and if they determine that there is too much risk of falling trees or slides, then possibly the trail could stay closed. This should be known in June/July, I'd say.
^This. Also keep an eye on forest fire activity in the area (although hopefully with the decent snow year, we'll have a more tame fire season).

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 am 
If the Buck Creek trail ends up being closed still, could I take BC Pass to the Massie Lake High Trail to Chiwawa River Trail to the Trinity TH, as per the map below? Looks as though I would still need to take 0.5-1 mile of the Buck Creek Trail to do this.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm 
^you are correct, according to the official closures map chiwawa trail, red mountain and massie lake trails are closed too. I hope they get it open and repaired quick but I'm betting on August with the big snow year we had. If the Buck Creek Trail is closed you could head out through the Napuequa, though this would require crossing the death snow at High Pass finding the way trail through the bushes into the lower valley, and then ascend Little Giant Pass back to Chiwawa road and then 7~ miles of road walk to phelps creek. That would easily add another day or two to the journey. Either that or exit out the Suiattle river but that complicates logistics.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:22 pm 
Its seems like I should have a plan B for the trip. Any off-the-top-of-the-head comparable trips in WA, OR, or ID? In contrast to the JMT last year, what drew me to this trip was the more lush, green landscape, the lack of permits, the mileage(~50 miles) and the loop.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 pm 
There are so many options in Washington for nice loops, that I personally prefer to get a book to do a first selection and then check online in trip reports which ones look nicest. Two books I enjoy for backpacking trip: Backpacking Washington (Romano) and Trekking Washington (Woodmansee). Both contain your original plan as well. For alternative plans, my favorites would be options in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, and South/West of Glacier Peak (both without permit, or self-signed permit at trailhead). My gut feeling is that there is only a small change that Buck Creek will stay closed, so Spider/Buck as primary still sounds like a good plan to me.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm 
Hiker454 wrote:
massie lake trail
Massie Lake HR is a route, not a trail, although there is a steep angler's tread on some of the E end and some old sheepherder's trail with lots of blowdown on the W end. In between there's a stretch of moderately steep ground to negotiate, although not so bad if you stay on route.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 2:01 pm 
First alternate that pops into my head is in North Cascades NP, so it does require permits and thus more logistics to deal w/. But it definitely fits your more lush/green criteria, it's superb and w/ some side trips would be around that 50+ mile range. Copper Ridge/Whatcom Pass Loop. Must do side trips to Tapto/Middle Lakes and Challenger Arm from Whatcom Pass. Many TRs for this area on this site. For a slightly different but similar flavor to your primary option, the entire west side of Glacier Peak is wonderful w/ many different possible entry points and loops or traverses of varying lengths. White Pass/Pilot Ridge basic loop is a bit over 30 miles but can be extended significantly as it intersects the PCT, so you can just keep going on that further north or south. Also gives you a chance to wander around the fantastic Foam Creek/White Chuck Basin area. A sometimes rough but rewarding trip is to follow Lost Creek Ridge, cross the White Chuck River (good log was in place last summer; I WOULD NOT recommend fording that, ever), hit the PCT south and then you'll hit Red Pass/White Pass and then you'll be into that loop I mentioned above. Quicker exit would be North Fork Sauk trail, going further south to Dishpan Gap/Blue Lake/Pilot Ridge would extend it. You'd end up at a campground about 4 miles from you car, it's an easy walk from there. I did that last summer (Lost Creek Ridge w/ the longer exit via Blue Lake & Pilot Ridge), I think it was about 45 miles w/ the road walk. You could get some extra mileage w/ a base camp at White Pass and day hike along Foam Creek and White Chuck Basin. Or extend further south on the PCT from Dishpan Gap. Also quick side trips toKodak Peak, or veer off the PCT and explore part of the Poet Ridge traverse are worthwhile. Jeez I'm getting myself excited, so many great options. Good stuff a bit north of there on the PCT also--Fire Creek Pass, Mica Lake, Vista Ridge. Hopefully Buck Creek Pass/Spider Gap will be accessible, but if not there are no shortage of good alternatives. I'm sure others will chime in.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm 
rxmarcus wrote:
Its seems like I should have a plan B for the trip. Any off-the-top-of-the-head comparable trips in WA, OR, or ID? In contrast to the JMT last year, what drew me to this trip was the more lush, green landscape, the lack of permits, the mileage(~50 miles) and the loop.
Maybe the chelan summit trail or somewhere around there? Look at fish creek pass or Horsehead pass/boiling lake area. Lots of possibilities in that area. Angels staircase is a famous loop in that area but it's like 24~ or so...

drm

drm
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am 
Lush green landscape loops and lack of reserved permits = Olympics (most of it, parts require permits). Mt Hood Timberline Loop not a bad option either. After all there are loops, and there are mountain circumnavigations.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 am 
Interesting about ONP. I assumed that being a national park, especially a highly visited one, that permits and red tape would be necessary for backcountry camping. I'll have to look into more. Thanks

drm

drm
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am 
rxmarcus wrote:
Interesting about ONP. I assumed that being a national park, especially a highly visited one, that permits and red tape would be necessary for backcountry camping.
It's a fairly large park, much larger than the other 2 in Washington. The more popular parts, mostly on the north side but in a few spots elsewhere, do require advance permits. But that leaves lots of space for those who don't want to do that. Even in mid-summer I have found that most non-reserved camps in the interior of the park are not close to full. Going up South Fork Quinault, over Anderson Pass, and then doing the inside loop over LaCrosse Pass would be one good option.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:46 am 
drm, I just looked into the Anderson/O'Neil/Lacrosse pass loop and it looks fantastic. There seems to be a good mix of lush, green forest and higher mountain passes with alpine lakes. Mileage would be longer than than Spider/Buck, but thats ok. How does it compare to the Spider Gap/Buck Creek loop? Enchanted Valley seems to be the most common route to the loop, with some using the Staircase. Any particular recommendation?