Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak car to car in 1 day?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm 
Not something I could you... How about you? This is an interview with a trail runner that did the The PCT Section J in three days, The Wonderland Trail in two days and Glacier Peak in one day! He tells listeners the life of a trail runner on and off the trail. I also ask questions from hikers, and questions that some people ask in criticism to trail runners (i.e. Do you even see the views?) http://northcascadehiker.com/cascade-hiker-podcast/049

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
christensent

christensent
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 pm 
I ran into two people in the morning cruising up Baker on a one day climb, talked to them and they did Glacier peak the day before car to car. Now that is some hyper-efficient utilization of a weekend! Amazing what people can be capable of with enough training. I wish I were that dedicated (after all, that's really the limitation for most of us, I'm just too lazy).

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 pm 
Cascade Hiker Podcast wrote:
Not something I could do.. How about you?
Car to Glacier Peak summit to car in 7:54, but it comes with caveats. That was in 1997, when I was 20 pounds lighter, 20 years younger, and it was via the now-gone White Chuck River Trail and Sitkum Glacier, not the longer standard route used today. The really fast folks could have knocked one or two hours off my time. I realize the whole trail running thing is a hot button issue that has been hashed and rehashed many times here. Yes, trail runners do see and appreciate the views, at least the moderate-speed ones like me. And there are plenty of us who are courteous to other trail users. To each their own preference.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Osguthoj

Osguthoj
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 pm 
Got To tip your hat to those people.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:43 pm 
Just Some Hiker dude could probably do it in about 6 hours. I could maybe do it in 6 days.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 am 
I think I'll give this a listen this June when I try GP in a day :P

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 pm 
I think I "may" be the first woman to go car to car in a day on Mt. Olympus in 1990 or so. No special training, just climbing fit. We wore boots and were carrying rope/harnesses/etc.(albeit not much of a rack!), none of this sissy trail running stuff. How else are you going to justify eating an entire chocolate pie in Pt. Townsend? That became the method of choice for most climbs - inspired by the amazing Peter Croft. We weren't running, but we definitely saw the views and experienced great joys - and a blister or two. . . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Distel32

Distel32
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:40 am 
Cascade Hiker Podcast, A locally-focused podcast is a very cool concept. I hope it works out for you and that you can continue to get interesting folks on the show. I think, however, you'd be surprised how many people are doing cool/fast/long endurance trips in the mountains, maybe with a lower social media presence. Trips done in Washington by people like Leor Pantilat, Sean O'Rourke, Richard Kresser, Gavin Woody, Ben Mayberry, etc etc etc, don't even touch the tip of the iceberg of how many people are out every weekend doing impressive feats. There always is someone out there doing something bigger, faster, more remote agree.gif .

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am 
Distel32 wrote:
Trips done in Washington by people like Leor Pantilat, Sean O'Rourke, Richard Kresser, Gavin Woody, Ben Mayberry, etc etc etc, don't even touch the tip of the iceberg of how many people are out every weekend doing impressive feats. There always is someone out there doing something bigger, faster, more remote agree.gif .
Add yourself to your list, Luke, as well as jdk610, anish, and others with solid running background. Then there is the amazing r3h, who as far as I know, doesn't even run on his long-distance peak bags. He must have an 8 foot stride!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 pm 
Yeah, the three guys we saw at around 7AM as we geared up at the base of the snow dome on Olympus are another good example. They'd started from their car at around 3:30AM, and I talked with one of them a year later at a party and he said they'd taken something like 13-14 hours car-to-car (we took 7 nights/8 days but we were on a very different program!). That crew does stuff like that most summer weekends, apparently. Indeed there are a fair number of such folks out there, just mostly not noisy about it.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 pm 
Yup, there's a fair number of speedsters out there. It's now a thing. Leor has put up some remarkably fast times, the most impressive (to me) of which is the Stuart West Ridge car-to-car in 8 hours (with a bud), roping up in several places. R3H moves uber fast, fo sho. I did some big day trips when I was a younger man, e.g., Glacier Peak via the Sitkum Glacier (route described by Buffalo Brush) in around 9 hours, Adams car-to-car, Baker via Easton in a day on skis. The new standard GP route (Gerdine/Cool) is a much more aesthetic route than the Sitkum but considerably longer approach.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
I've done it. Planning to do it again this season, but with skis this time. I've also day tripped Olympus, which was a little tougher. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8016479 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8016851 I'd love to reach speeds similar to Leor's, but I doubt that I could commit to that level of conditioning.

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas

Cascade Hiker Podcast
Cascade Hiker Podcas
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm 
Great to hear about all of your accomplishments!

Check out my hiking podcast at www.northcascadehiker.com