Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > REI Dividends
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 pm 
Posted today. Good Luck to all. Spend it wisely.

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm 
I'd give up my dividend in a second if they would pay the CEO what he's worth and not that chump change $3,000,000.00 they expect him to scrape by on. A living wage is important, and we members of the formerly known as Co-op must push the board to treat their exectutives as humans and not cattle. I'm thinking of starting a Go-Fund Me for these poor souls.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 am 
$44. I bought some stuff for my bicycles, new tires, new seat, other things, plus hiking stuff like permethrin, stove fuel, Nikwax waterproofing, some stuff for canoe camping, but no major items. I'm surprised it added up so much. But I hiked, biked and canoed all summer and fall, no job, so it was all put to good use. On top of the $44, I have a $22 return of an item I bought with that "spend $100 and get a $20 gift card" deal they had, and a $100 gift card I got for my birthday. I can buy something up to $180 with 20% off. I get two coupons, my GF always buys at least one thing for me so she geys a coupon too. I'm looking at the Helinox Chair Zero, looks comfy, holds my weight, folds small, just one pound, $120. Or I might get a new lightweight raincoat, or even a hammock. I see thry have a nice looking North Face mid hiker on clearance, plus another 25% off, in size 14.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 am 
Slugman wrote:
$44. I bought some stuff for my bicycles, new tires, new seat, other things, plus hiking stuff like permethrin, stove fuel, Nikwax waterproofing, some stuff for canoe camping, but no major items. I'm surprised it added up so much. But I hiked, biked and canoed all summer and fall, no job, so it was all put to good use. On top of the $44, I have a $22 return of an item I bought with that "spend $100 and get a $20 gift card" deal they had, and a $100 gift card I got for my birthday. I can buy something up to $180 with 20% off. I get two coupons, my GF always buys at least one thing for me so she geys a coupon too. I'm looking at the Helinox Chair Zero, looks comfy, holds my weight, folds small, just one pound, $120. Or I might get a new lightweight raincoat, or even a hammock. I see thry have a nice looking North Face mid hiker on clearance, plus another 25% off, in size 14.
Fascinating. Do you offer this on audiobook?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:21 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Looking forward to the sequel Slugman Goes Shopping II

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 pm 
i'm rich! $1.10

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
iron

iron
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:07 pm 
$0.00

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 3:18 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
lol.gif Not laughing at you Slugman, but this is hilarious. hehe As is the comment on the CEO's salary. REI has changed soooo much since I joined the Co-op as a camp counselor many years ago. They kind of left me behind--which is how I feel when I visit the store now. Here's yesterday's article in the Seattle Times about their record sales and membership. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:31 pm 
Normally this is the time of the year I wax poetic about how much I earned by NOT using my REI card and choosing a credit card that offers twice as many rewards for non REI purchases. That wasn't the case this year as I did need to put a few small charges on my (otherwise useless) REI card every month so it would report a balance to the credit rating agencies. I did this so I could pimp out the 10+ year credit history on my REI card for fun and profit, also known as credit card piggybacking: https://www.thebalance.com/credit-card-piggybacking-and-impact-to-credit-scores-960197 I made about $20K last year pimping out 7 credit cards that would otherwise gather dust in my sock drawer. Sadly the market is now flooded with people doing this, and the profit margins have dwindled to the point it's no longer worth the risk of getting your cards cancelled. Sorry, no ebook. clown.gif

iron

iron
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 pm 
Tom wrote:
Normally this is the time of the year I wax poetic about how much I earned by NOT using my REI card and choosing a credit card that offers twice as many rewards for non REI purchases.
^ the glory days.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 pm 
iron wrote:
$0.00
$0.00 for me too!

Art is an adventure.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm 
Iron, 2016 was still a banner year for credit card arbitrage. Piggybacking was just icing on the cake. If anyone is looking for a good rewards card, try this one (or one of the other cards highlighted). https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alliant-cashback-visa-signature-credit-card-review-3-cash-back-first-year-2-5-59-af-waived-first-year/ Earns 3% on all purchases in year 1, then 2.5% on all purchases thereafter. That's 250% better than the REI card (unless you shop at REI), and you don't need to wait for a stinkin' dividend.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Looking forward to the sequel Slugman Goes Shopping II
Slugman wrote:
So I started to go to the store. Wouldn't you know it, but I left my window rolled down and it rained. So inside I went to get a towel. I discovered that my towels didn't have the Downey soft feeling, so I found my shopping list and put fabric softener on it. I like to be spend thrifty, so I walked over a block and stole a news paper from one of my neighbors. Didn't look at it until I got home and discovered it was the Everett Herald! Ugh, like anything happens in that little tweaker burg. So I threw the Herald into my neighbors recycling and headed the other way and stole the Seattle Times from a couple I know that works in Seattle. Lucky for me they're in the financial sector and headed off early, so I grabbed the WSJ too.Looked thru both papers and then the sales flyers, decided which store had the cheapest fabric softener, and then off to the library to post a few incendiary posts on NWH, grabbed a couple of rolls of toilet paper from the stall when I was there. Got quite the chuckle when a little kid went scrambling into the stall I just vacated, and I could hear him plop his little hiney on the seat. Ha ha buster, the TP's in my coat. Finally made it to the Dollar Store and headed to the fabric softener isle. Wouldn't you know it? The ad I grabbed was for Albertsons and not the dollar store. The store wouldn't honor Albertsons ad offering Downy for $3.99 because this was the Dollar Store and they only sell one brand of fabric softener, it's not Downey and theirs costs - get this, one dollar. The manager and I went back and forth on this for about an hour and a half, and they kept refusing to sell me something they don't have. The nerve of some people. Headed off the the library and typed up a letter to Governor Rosallini about how unfair this is, hoping he can do something about this. Decided to head home and wash my towels again. When I got done, I discovered that while they're now plenty soft, and smell great, they smell Suavitel soft. I had my heart set on smelling Downey Soft. Headed back to the Dollar Store to voice my displeasure with their product. By this time the first manager had gone home, so I explained it all over again to the newest manger on duty. When I finally got done explaining the issue three hours later, it was time for that manager to go home, so I had to repeat the process a third time. Finally closing time rolled around and the manger gave me my dollar back. Looked at the clock on the wall and realized that it was too late to make it to REI, and I wasn't even sure they sold fabric softener, probably just a bunch a dog toys. Decided the best thing was to head home and make a plan for the next day, on how I will finally make it to REI. Wrapped the day up by bagging up my garbage and putting it in my neighbors can. It was kind of full so I took a bag or too of their garbage and put it in the back of their yuppie mobile. Stay tuned for updates, or you can follow me @adventures with slugman

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm 
HappyHiker wrote:
Posted today. Good Luck to all. Spend it wisely.
Again, enough to outfit the grandkids with whatever .... and I think I'll just indulge in a jetboil or the like.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
drm

drm
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am 
It's not just the dividend, but the 20% discount coupons that follow shortly after. And I just saw that Backcountry.com is now offering 20% off one full price item, so the affect of competition spreads. Maybe REI's two 20% coupons (one for a full price item, one for a discount item) drain the market elsewhere for a bit.