Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Chaffetz Bill to sell 3.3 million acres of BLM lands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 am 
Interesting. Most of those areas are in Nevada and New Mexico...since the Clinton days of yore as identified. Many don't have legal access to the property....maybe surrounded by private property? The most troubling areas I think would be those who would like to hunt.

Art is an adventure.
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am 
Representative. Chaffetz bills are based on legislation written by ALEC. American Legislative Exchange Council. This a Koch funded group designed to push legislation at the state level. Alec is responsible for laws such as Florida's stand your ground. Selling off BLM lands is just the start of a clearance sale of all public lands that are held in trust for future generations. Call or write your senators and representatives. Legislative switchboard. 800 562 6000 All they need is a zip code to connect you to your representative.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Selling off BLM lands is just the start of a clearance sale of all public lands that are held in trust for future generations. Call or write your senators and representatives.
Yes, it is true. I have been ridiculed for suggesting our "fine" Representatives are caving in to the push to turn all Public land into a cash cow for corporate and large private interests. I have been accused of being a conspiracy theorist when I bring it up. Let's watch the doubters come tell me I am a whacko when they have to pay $$$ to a corporation to get a permit to do the PCT and walk on "their" land. These "Effers" are working hard to steal the Public Commons. The American Recreation Coalition is in bed with them too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
gb

gb
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm 
What all of these folks need is a Facebook page/Twitter account that mimics the politician's own account so that the general public can be made to see that these goofs are not out to help the public.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 pm 
I always thought politicians should have to put patches on their suits like NASCAR drivers with the names of their corporate sponsors. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I always thought politicians should have to put patches on their suits like NASCAR drivers with the names of their corporate sponsors. huh.gif
Good idea...luckily the man at the top is only looking out for his own interests, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 am 
Eric. Sounds like you have a unique and informed view, perhaps you could guide us in gathering information?

Abert

Abert
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:24 am 
Statement from Chaffetz on Instagram last night:
Quote:
I'm a proud gun owner, hunter and love our public lands. The bill would have disposed of small parcels of lands Pres. Clinton identified as serving no public purpose but groups I support and care about fear it sends the wrong message. The bill was originally introduced several years ago. I look forward to working with you. I hear you and HR 621 dies tomorrow
It looks like opposition from hunting groups was key. With the new Secretary of the Interior and his stated views, those groups may act as a considerable check on any land transfers. How the land may be managed is, of course, a different issue. The 1996 document listing the parcels involved does show that they had undergone part of the process Eric writes about. Although it also says "many lands identified appear to have conflicts which may preclude them from being considered for disposal or exchange".

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:14 am 
What lies below or above this land to make it desirable to a purchaser?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
Hint: it's happening all the time. Just put some effort in researching the location and issues before passing such blanket judgements about "disposing public lands"
It is the "foot in the door" aspect that has me, and others, worried. Many travesties have began being promoted as "in the Public's interest", and many people with good intentions have unknowingly (and perhaps unwillingly too) helped along the way. When dealing with people and entities whose long term goal is a complete takeover then you must completely oppose them, even when the current prize is not so special to you.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Frango

Frango
PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:22 pm 
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:58 am 
Please do not think for one minute that this ends their quest to take public land from the public. The bill that Utah Representative Chaffetz introduced was written by the American Legislative Exchange Council or ALEC. ALEC is a group funded by the Koch Brothers to produce, disseminate, and pass this kind of harmful legislation and they don't quit... ever. It will just get reworded and repackaged as something else or slipped into another bill when no one is looking. I can just see this kind of bill being passed in the future "to aid the war effort" or some such nonsense. Also, please note that the companion bill recently introduced by Utah Representative Bishop which seeks to change BLM rules to make these transfers easier to do, has NOT been withdrawn. The Guardian published a much better description about these bills and the backlash they have unleashed from outdoorsmen and women of all types. Here's the link: Chaffetz withdraws bill Also, the most important thing to remember is that YOU can stop this kind of legislation from ever being passed by letting your elected representatives know (in no uncertain terms) that you will not tolerate them voting for this theft. When your rep comes back home for a townhall meeting, let them know where you stand. Then, the next time this crap pops up for a vote, they'll think twice about voting for it. HERE is a list of upcoming townhall meetings all across the US. For example, Dan Newhouse, the WA-4 Rep, will be hosting a townhall meeting at the Omak City Hall on Monday, January 6th at 11:00 am. It would be nice to send Dan back to DC with his ears ringing so he'll remember to keep his hands off public lands.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:30 am 
Good points, ff! Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed post.

Klapton

Klapton
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 2:15 pm 
fairweather friend wrote:
Please do not think for one minute that this ends their quest to take public land from the public. The bill that Utah Representative Chaffetz introduced was written by the American Legislative Exchange Council or ALEC. ALEC is a group funded by the Koch Brothers to produce, disseminate, and pass this kind of harmful legislation and they don't quit... ever. It will just get reworded and repackaged as something else or slipped into another bill when no one is looking. I can just see this kind of bill being passed in the future "to aid the war effort" or some such nonsense.
When they repeal the entire Bill of Rights they will call it the "Don't kick puppies act," so they can say anyone who opposes it supports kicking puppies.