Forum Index > Trail Talk > Umtanum Creek from the Falls to Yakima River?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 pm 
Hi all, I'm planning to do this: http://caltopo.com/m/RRE0 I'm curious about the off-trail section in the middle of the hike. Has anyone done that recently? I searched for trip reports and of course there's a ton of info about Umtanum Creek and Umtanum Falls, but I didn't have any luck finding reports from people who had hiked all the way through. (Maybe I just didn't look hard enough) Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 pm 
I hiked it several times 40 years ago. Just start walking, you'll figure it out. Don't wait much longer though - it's one of the snakeyest places on earth once the weather starts to warm up.

jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm 
Sounds like it's pretty straightforward, thanks. Figured it couldn't hurt to do a little research beforehand. And yes, was planning on doing it in the next few weeks.

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 am 
We used to hike between the falls and Durr Road quite a bit and fish the creek-used to be a fair number of trout in the creek-back in my HS/CWU days. There was the occasional lunker-10 inches in some holes. There was the semblance of a trail. Since then, beavers have come in and done their thing-the last time I walked it-now maybe 15 years ago, their was no continuous trail and I had pretty much had to get of out canyon itself to walk it. As I recall that was pretty much the case until you hit the trail that crosses the Yakima R. I hope you post a TR if you walk it, I'd be interested in reading it. As kbatku mentions, it is one of the most rattlesnake ridden places in the world-I may have been buzzed a thousand times in my life but it is always a puckering experience.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 am 
Eastern Washington Desert + Water = Snakes There is simply more prey in these areas, so that's were they hang out. I used to live in the Tri-Cities; the Upper Columbia and Snake River shores were just full of Rattlers. Full Boots, Knee High Soccer Socks, Long Gaiters and Pants are the way to go. In tall brushy areas make sure to keep your hands relatively high.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 am 
Thanks guys! Duly warned re: the rattlers. There was still a bunch of snow at the Umtanum Falls trailhead when I was there yesterday, so I'm assuming if I go in the next week or so, rattlers will be less of an issue. I'll definitely post a TR if/when I go.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 am 
I was on the Yakima River end of the trail at the suspension bridge a few weeks ago and there was a sign stating that the trail was closed 3.5 miles ahead. I can't remember the reason why though. You might want to contact the BLM to find out if it's open.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 am 
Ooh, thanks, that is a great tip. I'll call today.

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am 
I started out walking from the bridge a couple of years ago. The trail seemed to follow the left side past the Umtanum Ridge trail for a ways, then gradually disappeared into a tangle of opportunities. From my experience it can't be on the south side of the creek if it is a trail you seek. It.....could.....cross the creek to the north side very early on but I didn't investigate that. Creek bottoms in the shrub steppe area of Eastern Washington have lot's of shrubbery to say the least. Combined with snakes, it is likely to be sporting.

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 am 
Typically it is closed until summer at 3.5 miles for wintering elk. The trail from the Yakima River along the creek is pretty easy to follow until there.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am 
Turns out the trail is managed by WDFW, not BLM. (BLM manages the campground/parking lot, but it becomes state land at the bridge). Anyhoo, called the DFW and they said there are no wildlife closures in the canyon.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm 
Watch out for them serpents!!!!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
I'm planning to do this: http://caltopo.com/m/RRE0
jdk610, I am a little confused by your route. I see a label for "bike". Are you biking the blue part and then hiking up the creek canyon? If so, then are you carrying your bike through the hike portion? Or is the blue portion a road walk?
jdk610 wrote:
BLM manages the campground/parking lot
So if it's BLM, then a Discover Pass is not needed to park there, right? Thanks, ~z

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 pm 
Zephyr - Correct. In fact they have signs in the parking lot saying that Discover Passes do NOT work. BLM passes only, I think they're $5/day. Looks like WTA confirms this as well: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/umtanum-creek-canyon As for my route, I'm parking my car at Umtanum Rec Area. Then riding my bike to the Umtanum Falls TH. Then stashing my bike somewhere near the TH. Then hike down the creek, pick up the car, and pick up my bike on my way out.

jdk610

jdk610
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm 
Hesman, thanks, that's encouraging! It'll be interesting to see how it's changed.