Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hike With Explosives?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 am 
Scratching my head and I can't imagine what it could have been. I have items in my overnight pack that could explode, but I can't imagine a scenario why I would try to use my stove to light a campfire. A emergency flare? "A hiker on the Appalachian Trail near the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary lost his left hand Wednesday night in an explosion that was set off as he tried to start a campfire" "He was trying to start a fire and ended up grabbing the wrong thing out of his backpack," said Ethan Kunkel, deputy chief of the Kempton Fire Company. "What he grabbed was an explosive and it blew his hand off." http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/mc-hawk-mountain-search-and-rescue-20170316-story.html

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 am 
AMETEUR!!....EVERYONE KNOWS you let a hiking partner do that....

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am 
You obviously have never hiked the Appalachian Trail, stumps are a nuisance there and most hikers carry a couple sticks of 20% there. He simply mixed it up with his railroad flare fire starter doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 am 
This makes as little sense as any article I've ever read. The reporter seems not to have focused on it. Dynamite? Stumps? It takes more time me to blow a downfall than to walk around it.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 am 
Seems like "Darwin Award" Runner up material.

christensent

christensent
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
I would guess, if the news article is accurate (which seems really quite unlikely), that the hiker was either on drugs or mentally ill. It's certainly not common to hike with explosives, but maybe we could stipulate that at least some people carry explosives when hiking. Of the population of sober rational hikers with explosives, I would bet anything that none of them would ever accidentally try to start a fire with their explosive.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:19 pm 
It happened in Pennsyltucky. No additional explanation necessary.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 pm 
The only semi rational thing that comes to mind is he tried to use a propane cylinder for his stove. I'd guess, if I were being kind about it that maybe this poor slob was hypothermic and desperate.

christensent

christensent
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm 
Bird in Hand wrote:
The only semi rational thing that comes to mind is he tried to use a propane cylinder for his stove. I'd guess, if I were being kind about it that maybe this poor slob was hypothermic and desperate.
Problem is, it's actually near impossible to blow up a propane cylinder unless you already have a raging fire and just throw it in. You can put a pin in the valve and light it, you just get a flame thrower. There's no oxygen inside a fuel cylinder, so you can't actually blow up a cylinder unless you externally heat it to the bursting point of the metal. Although I don't necessarily recommend doing so for no reason, it would be really quite safe to hold a lighter up to the opening of a camp stove fuel tank. If the news story is accurate, where he was attempting to START a fire, I don't think any form of typical outdoor gear could do this. It would have to have actually been an explosive device.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm 
The only thing I can think of is a "predator flash bang". I don't think there is such a thing, but I'm thinking a large firework explosive he was carrying to light and scare off predators but confused it with a candle??? Sounds ridiculous, I know.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 pm 
Or he was screwing around with a powerful firework device or similar, blew his hand off, and told a fib to the first responders so it would not seem like he was stupid. That may be why his explanation seems so strange. Nobody wants to admit they were fooling around and injured themselves like that. Anyway, just thinking out loud. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
a "predator flash bang"
A seal bomb would meet that definition. Quite capable of shredding a hand beyond repair.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am 
My guess is this knucklehead had a collection of fireworks and thought they were grabbing a roman candle, but instead grabbed a "Quarter Stick" firecracker. A "Quarter Stick" is much larger than a "M80" -- whose tendency to blow off people's fingers caused them and similar fireworks to be banned in the '60s -- The larger "quarter stick" could blow off a hand.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 12:50 pm 
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/hiker-loses-hand-while-starting-campfire-on-appalachian-trail-in-berks-county
Quote:
The victim, whose name officials wouldn't release, was trying to start the fire using black powder, Chief Ethan Kunkel of Kempton Fire Company said Thursday. "When he sparked it, the powder exploded and partially amputated his hand," he said.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 am 
TARDIS wrote:
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/hiker-loses-hand-while-starting-campfire-on-appalachian-trail-in-berks-county
Quote:
The victim, whose name officials wouldn't release, was trying to start the fire using black powder, Chief Ethan Kunkel of Kempton Fire Company said Thursday. "When he sparked it, the powder exploded and partially amputated his hand," he said.
I guess the 3 popular reality survivor shows, Bear Grylls, Dual Survivor, & Survivorman forgot the "don't try this at home" disclaimer / disclosure warning