Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Chuck Berry 1926-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 4:07 pm 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm 
The world is a little poorer today.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 am 
Yea, his sound from the Gibson 335 defined early rock, imo...sorta soda pop/shop(Beach Boys?) but fast and clean. Same basic guitar model that Alvin Lee played. (RIP same month 2013). Tom

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm 
How lucky we were to have him. No one more important than Chuck Berry in rock & roll. He always put on an exciting show. We went on a road trip yesterday and listened to a CD of rarities from Chuck. I can't wait until his new album comes out in the next few weeks. Maybe the last one.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
imo...sorta soda pop/shop(Beach Boys?)
Are you serious? What demeaning, patronizing nonsense! If you think Chuck couldn't play or sing the blues or pure R&B, then get a copy of the complete Chess recordings put out a few years ago. He could hold his own with pretty much anybody, and certainly played and sang them better than any of the white Brits you apparently idolize. But he knew what happened every time Blacks invented a new genre and whites started listening to it: they co-opted it and made the big bucks and the Blacks were left with scraps. And he saw it happening already with "rock and roll' where no-talents like Bill Haley and Pat Boone, backed by payola, were making far more money making pathetic covers of R&B songs than the original artists. So yeah, rather than let that happen to him he wrote and played songs mostly aimed at white teenagers, and did it an order of magnitude better than anybody else (read,e.g., Springsteen's tweet re Chuck's death). Of course he could never make the money the “white boy who sounded Black,” did, even though that white boy could neither write songs or play the guitar, but at least he could do better than scuffling in Black R&B clubs the rest of his life. To a certain extent he had to sell his soul to make a reasonable living, just like Bird did when he recorded with strings, but in doing so he became the preeminent founding father of rock and roll.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 am 
C'mon CC, lighten up. Listen to the opening riff on Roll over Beethoven. That sound got picked up by lots of early rockers. I never meant to exclude his other stuff, so you're right, he was a huge talent. Tom

gb

gb
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am 
The king of early rock and roll. The music of my youth is now over 50 years old. We continue to lose the greatest artists of that time.

contour5

contour5
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 am 
Chuck also sang a mean calypso! <div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:75.0%">
</div>

Washakie

Washakie
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:10 pm 
I am a big fan of his music, but he was a weird dude.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm 
^ "great artist" and "weird" sometimes go hand in hand. James Brown. Salvadore Dali. Aubrey Beardsley. Gustav Klimt. Take your pick.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."