Forum Index > Trail Talk > Poo Poo point ridiculous parking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 pm 
I rarely to never hike Poo Poo point, but I was passing through en route to my secret Tiger Mtn TH around 3pm today and noticed a circus-like atmosphere at Poo Poo Point. I was shocked when I saw people parking 3/4 mile down Iss-Hobart road and walking to the trailhead. Groups of people were dashing across traffic, causing everyone to stop. The main lot was full, the street was full where legal(and slightly past the "no parking signs"), 238th Way had approx. 30 cars parked on the side. There is paid parking for $5.00 dollars about .6 miles from the TH. Squak Valley Park next to that was full (3/4 mile walk). I estimate 300-350 cars in total and probably averaging 2 people per car, so that is- *beep boop beep* approximately 700 people on that trail at one time. And thats a low estimate... That must be...fun? confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Wedding? Meetup.com hike?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm 
Well we have had only 4 clear days this year. The parking lot has been regularly filled on weekends even on rainy days. At the same time most normal hikes are under deep snow. I just saw a report on Rattlesnake aaRidge showing this the usual I-90 hikes are downright dangerous. We went by around 3 and the place was certainly a zoo.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kirt

Kirt
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Thankfully I hiked this yesterday. I assume the rain helped thin the crowd. I came across about 25 people on the trail between the trailhead and the summit. As I continued on the the RR trail intersection, I only came across 5 others. I haven't hiked this trail for 15 years as I now live in Eastern WA. I could not imagine hiking amongst the crowd that was estimated for today. Make me appreciate Eastern WA & OR.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 am 
The pp parking lot being filled to the brim by 10AM on fair weather weekends has been a thing for years.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The pp parking lot being filled to the brim by 10AM on fair weather weekends has been a thing for years.
I have never seen anyone park at Squak Valley Park and walk 25 minutes to the TH until yesterday...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:17 am 
Hikerdood wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I have never seen anyone park at Squak Valley Park and walk 25 minutes to the TH until yesterday...
25 minutes! -- That's more like a mosey -- it's only 3/4 of a mile. I guess you haven't been there in a while... All I can say is: Hooray for herd mentality!!! WT3, PP, SI, RSL and MB all get hammered hard, but other areas quite close by have 1/20 the traffic.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 am 
Indeed. People park at the small park just outside Issaquah and walk there. I drive past this area every day on the way to work and often on weekends. It's been extremely congested for many years. They reconfigured the road (turn lanes) last summer and improved/enlarged the parking lot. It marginally improved the situation. It's grand that people who like "mixed media" hiking have a place to go........

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 am 
I can vouch that the I-90 side of Tiger was equally full. We went up Lingering to the TMT and headed up to the saddle between Tiger 2 and 3 and hardly saw anyone else on that part of our loop. Even in places like Tiger, just getting off of Tiger 3 or the lower reaches of the TMT gets you a lot of solitude.

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am 
Sunday + Sunshine + Stickers still on Xmas gift hiking poles = stay away from PP-Point (and other easy hikes with view) King County hiking 101 classroom down the hall to the left.

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
25 minutes! -- That's more like a mosey -- it's only 3/4 of a mile.
They walk slow...and it takes them 5 minutes to cross the road! LOL!

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
I can vouch that the I-90 side of Tiger was equally full. We went up Lingering to the TMT and headed up to the saddle between Tiger 2 and 3 and hardly saw anyone else on that part of our loop. Even in places like Tiger, just getting off of Tiger 3 or the lower reaches of the TMT gets you a lot of solitude.
Tiger is a big area, I love that place.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
SteeperColder wrote:
stay away from PP-Point
Parking at Poo-Poo isn't so bad at 6:00AM on a weekday, especially if it is drizzling.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm 
I have never been to those I-90 foothills hikes, nor do I plan to. Absolutely nothing about it appeals to me. I cannot understand how people prefer that experience to just going to a nice city park with trails, like Magnuson Park, Seward Park, or Discovery Park. It's not scenery, solitude, wilderness, convenience, accessibility...

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm 
Foist wrote:
I have never been to those I-90 foothills hikes, nor do I plan to. Absolutely nothing about it appeals to me. I cannot understand how people prefer that experience to just going to a nice city park with trails, like Magnuson Park, Seward Park, or Discovery Park. It's not scenery, solitude, wilderness, convenience, accessibility...
For me, it's the 2 to 3k in elevation gain I can get in a snow free loop hike (ear buds in, books on tape running). And as noted up thread, stay off the T3 trail, you won't see very many people.