Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Castle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jstern

jstern
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm 
Headed up to Rainier for some snowshoeing today, and made my way up to the saddle next to The Castle. Started at the parking lot of Narada Falls, followed Stevens Canyon road, and then started uphill at Reflection Lake. A bit cool starting out, but by the afternoon, it was downright warm in the sun. And, there was very little wind at the saddle. Had it pretty much to myself for about 45 minutes before I made my way back down, and on to have lunch along the lake. I then followed the wanded trail up and over the hill and back to the parking lot. While there were plenty of people up there, it never seemed very crowded. A few pictures. Cant figure out why Flickr isn't listing them in the proper order...
A-good-perspective
A-good-perspective
Pinnacle-Peak
Pinnacle-Peak
The-Castle
The-Castle
Mt-St.-Helens-in-the-distance
Mt-St.-Helens-in-the-distance
Mt-Adams-in-the-distance
Mt-Adams-in-the-distance
Manatee-Mtn-on-the-Left-and-Unicorn-Peak-on-the-right
Manatee-Mtn-on-the-Left-and-Unicorn-Peak-on-the-right
Good-view-from-the-saddle
Good-view-from-the-saddle
My-constant-companion-today
My-constant-companion-today
The Start
The Start
Rainier from Reflection Lake
Rainier from Reflection Lake
Closer to the destination - The Castle
Closer to the destination - The Castle
Starting-the-descent
Starting-the-descent

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 am 
Would you characterize the snow as a few inches of new powdery snow on a supportive crust? Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
jstern

jstern
PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm 
Unfortunately, no. In some places it was a hard crust over another hard crust. Almost as if the previous precipitation had first been rain, which then started freeze, with a more wet and unconsolidated layer on top, that then itself froze. That top layer was maybe 1.5 - 2 inches. But this was only on the higher elevation near the saddle. It was very inconsistent with where it was. In some locations my snowshoes barely made any tracks but still gave good traction, while in other locations on the same slope, I was able to break through that crust to a stiff like powder below. Even on my way down, around 12:45, the snow at the higher elevations was still pretty crusty. Down lower by the lake, it was starting to get slushy. Down lower, on Stevens Canyon Road in the morning, it was a hard crust over a powder type snow. I think at that elevation, the warm/cold cycles are taking its toll. I did see one person on skis in the morning, and he was able to get enough of an edge on his skis to make his way up on the side hill there along the road as you near the lake, but when he came back down, I didn't notice that his skis made very much of a track. Sorry it that poses more questions than answers!

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 pm 
up.gif One of my favorite areas. Looks like you had a perfect day.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 am 
jstern wrote:
Sorry it that poses more questions than answers!
No, that's helpful info, thanks!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.