Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fourth of July Pass via Thunder Creek - March 20, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 am 
I was missing the North Cascades and also wanted to do a little recon for future adventures, so I decided to head up Thunder Creek towards 4th of July Pass. I did some research (satellite imagery, slope angles, weather, and NWAC forecast) and decided Monday was a good day to go. Unfortunately, “party cloudy” ended up more like “mostly cloudy/overcast” – but hey, it didn’t rain or snow, and I could see all of the peaks around me, so I’m not really complaining. However, I will use the flat grey light as an excuse for my less than stellar pics. Road conditions: Hwy 20 was clear and dry! Yippeee! Colonial Creek Campground is still unplowed, with at least a couple feet of snow in the parking lot. That said, the plows have cleared a spot on the opposite side of the road (the Thunder Knob trailhead) so there is plenty of room for parking.
Pretty sunrise as I drove across the Skagit
Pretty sunrise as I drove across the Skagit
Obligatory photo from Diablo Overlook (the parking lot is not yet plowed)
Obligatory photo from Diablo Overlook (the parking lot is not yet plowed)
Trail conditions Thunder Creek: There is a well-packed snowshoe trench through the Colonial Creek parking lot and campground to the Thunder Creek trailhead. Thunder Creek trail itself is also pretty packed down up until the bridge across Thunder Creek. In the morning I was able to get all the way to the bridge in just trail runners. The bridge across Thunder Creek is easily passable, but has a bunch of snow on it. Just don’t lose your balance. 🙂 On the other side of the bridge, things are much less-travelled. Once you cross Thunder Creek, route-finding/nav skills are required.
Thunder Creek trail before the bridge
Thunder Creek trail before the bridge
Views of Thunder Creek from the Thunder Creek trail
Views of Thunder Creek from the Thunder Creek trail
Bridge across Thunder Creek. Snow on bridge was approx 1-2 ft deep.
Bridge across Thunder Creek. Snow on bridge was approx 1-2 ft deep.
4th of July Pass: The climb up 4th of July Pass gets down to business pretty quickly, which was a good way to warm up on a chilly morning. I put snowshoes on at the base of the climb, only to take them off at 1800 ft! There is a cliffy area that clearly gets a good amount of sun, so I was walking on…. BARE TRAIL for approx 1/4 mile! Very exciting. But by approx 2000 ft the trail was snow-covered again. At approx 3000 ft the route starts to traverse some steep slopes, at which point I put on microspikes instead (see Gear for more details).
Views from the rocky outcropping at approx 1800 ft. Davis Peak on the left, McMillan Spires peaking out in the background
Views from the rocky outcropping at approx 1800 ft. Davis Peak on the left, McMillan Spires peaking out in the background
After a long slog uphill in the snow, I finally reached a clearing in the trees – 4th of July Pass. I even spotted and excavated the wooden sign marking the pass, which was buried under snow. The views from the pass weren’t quite as astounding as WTA claims, but it was still so lovely just to be out there – there wasn’t precip falling on my head, I could see big wild mountains, and life was good. I am very grateful to live in a place that has so many lowland options during the winter… But nothing is quite like the North Cascades.
Snowfield group from 4th of July Pass
Snowfield group from 4th of July Pass
Buried sign at Fourth of July Pass
Buried sign at Fourth of July Pass
Gear: Trekking poles, snowshoes, microspikes. The trekking poles were handy from start to finish. In the morning, I didn’t need any traction or flotation until around 3000 ft on the 4th of July Pass trail, at which point I put on microspikes. The spikes were useful not so much because the trail climbs steeply, but more because the route traverses multiple steep slopes. The traction helped ensure I didn’t go side slipping down the hill. The slopes were all heavily treed, so you can’t really take a long fall, but the landing probably wouldn’t be comfortable. I put the snowshoes on as I descended. The warm temps had softened things up considerably and without the snowshoes I was doing a lot of postholing. I wore them all the way back to the car (except for the section of bare trail at 1800 ft). https://evergreenendurance.com/2017/03/21/4th-of-july-pass-via-thunder-creek/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:54 pm 
Nice! Thanks for the snow update from that area! Loosing your balance on the Thunder Creek bridge would be an achievement! wink.gif. I remember from other trip reports that there were Moose prints found deeper in that valley. I guess you didn't run into any more evidence?

jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 pm 
Hehe, I made that comment about losing your balance because I wobbled a bit myself... but my excuse is that I had a rambunctious dog attached to my waist. No wildlife, nor much sign of wildlife.... but again, had a rambunctious dog attached to my waist. Wildlife sightings definitely go down when I bring her along. (It's worth the trade-off to me, though. She's getting older so I try to take her with me whenever possible - want to live it up while she's able!)