Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Trailhead usage data?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 am 
I'm curious if there is an easy (haha) way to mine trailhead usage data? What I want is information on high vs low traffic trailheads, year over year trends, as well as parking capacity (which I expect may require a physical visit). I know there's a handful of managing entities but thought I'd check here if anyone knows an aggregate source for the data gathered. Thanks!

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 am 
I once asked about getting registration counts for Forest Service trailheads from those voluntary permit forms. I was told I had to file a Freedom of Information Act request. Might be different for national parks.

Luc

Luc
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm 
Ugh. That's discouraging.

GNGSTR
drm

drm
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:09 am 
If there is a specific national forest you're interested in, you should call and ask. They all manage things differently. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky (not that luck should be required).

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 pm 
I agree with all of the above. Call and ask and expect to submit a FOIA request. It's not a common question asked for sure so I'd start with the district ranger of the trails you are wanting information on, and try the S.O. of the forest if the district ranger doesn't know. Most districts do log trail permits into a computer on a regular basis.

Have I offended you today?
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 am 
What adjustment factor do you think would be correct if you do get the number? I only fill out those forms when I'm in an unfamiliar area where there's more uncertainty about whether the trip will go as planned. I consider them an optional safety procedure -- letting someone know where you're going and when you plan to get back. But I always take care of that at home.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 am 
I always sign in if there is a register at a trailhead. I have heard that districts keep track of these numbers when deciding where to allocate funds and energy for maintenance.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 am 
How much Googling have you done? When I was planning a Colorado backpacking trip last year, I discovered a large PDF document which had maps of trail usage data for many different Wilderness areas in Colorado. Trails were color coded according to the relative number of users (light, moderate, heavy use, etc.). I think the report was commissioned by the managing agency (USFS?), and they had asked district rangers to provide the data, which was then combined into a consistent format for the report. I got the impression that it was an internal report which was coincidentally hosted on a public server, which Google was then able to index. Anyways, I'd imagine that other states have similar reports.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am 
You might try to give this reporter a call. They might be able to steer you to the data and maybe to other forest that are doing the tracking http://archive.kitsapsun.com/news/local/olympic-national-forest-uses-infrared-technology-to-monitor-trail-use-ep-802725101-355101171.html USFS usage data surves (not trail specific) https://apps.fs.usda.gov/nfs/nrm/nvum/results/

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 pm 
Does anyone actually pick those sheets up? It seems like every trailhead I go to there's either a stack of soggy paper that's been sitting there for months or none at all.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:26 pm 
I have had rangers ask for them on Granite Mountain and in the Enchantments and threaten to ticket if you do not produce them.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 7:20 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Does anyone actually pick those sheets up? It seems like every trailhead I go to there's either a stack of soggy paper that's been sitting there for months or none at all.
Don't know about othe districts, but there is a seasonal employee or two down here that go around and collect permits in permit boxes on a weekly basis and enter them into a computer the same day they collect them.

Have I offended you today?
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 pm 
I always fill out permits when they supply them at the trailhead but I never use my real name or address. No, I'm not part of the tinfoil hat crowd, it's just the principle of the thing. They don't need to know who I am or where I live, they just need to know that X number of people are hiking to Y destinations for Z days. I do use a zip code near mine in case it somehow really matters that I came from Seattle to use that trail. It's my understanding that the reason for the permits at most trailheads is to help the FS understand usage patterns and allocate funding & maintenance. Letting them know there are 4 people and two dogs in our party, we'll be camped at whatever destinations we're going to for however many nights and returning on a particular day should be all they need. If there is also one of those registers where everyone signs into a log book I may or may not be truthful in filling that out. It depends on where we're going. If we're going to somewhere "secret" I won't put that on the register - don't want other people getting ideas, but I will put it on the permits so the FS knows someone went there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
It's my understanding that the reason for the permits at most trailheads is to help the FS understand usage patterns and allocate funding & maintenance.
I believe you are correct there. I could probably count on one hand the number of NFS trails I've hiked where there was anything resembling a sign-in sheet. The great majority of them just had a sign at the beginning of the trail, if anything at all.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:24 am 
I'm not talking about self-issued Wilderness permits with the tags you hang on your pack but rather trail registers, which I assumed the OP was asking for. These are not permits.