Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Well, I just brought the REI BOD down to their knees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 pm 
Withheld my vote for all nominees with both of my ballots. I don't think they'll recover from that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 12:45 am 
Is this still about that faulty bike thing?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 am 
puzzlr wrote:
No, what was that? This is about yoga mats and dog toys and paying their CEO $3million/year. It is about the power of the vote and what a simple schmuck with two REI votes can do to topple the corporate borg that is REI.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 pm 
Moving corporate hq to Bellevue is only going to make things worse.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
puzzlr wrote:
No, what was that? This is about yoga mats and dog toys and paying their CEO $3million/year. It is about the power of the vote and what a simple schmuck with two REI votes can do to topple the corporate borg that is REI.
The Monika Johnson tragic case. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/backcountry-enthusiast-who-died-last-week-wins-rei-suit-over-2007-cycle-accident/

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 pm 
Back in the mid to late 1980s, there was a move to elect people to the Board of Directors who would reverse REI's course back to the hikers and climbers store that it originally was. That fell flat, unfortunately. Since then I have bought very little from REI. For a long time I ordered from Campmor; then in 2005 I discovered Backcuntry Gear in Eugene, OR, the better known backcountry.com, and the various "cottage" firms. Half the time, I don't even use REI's 20% off coupons. Wth brick and mortar stores collapsing right and left, and amazon.com and even Costco carrying more and more backpacking stuff, I wonder how long REI will last in its present configuration.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:55 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Back in the mid to late 1980s, there was a move to elect people to the Board of Directors who would reverse REI's course back to the hikers and climbers store that it originally was. That fell flat, unfortunately.
Back when the BOD was nominated by the members, not the corporate nomination club that now does the task.
Grannyhiker wrote:
Wth brick and mortar stores collapsing right and left, and amazon.com and even Costco carrying more and more backpacking stuff, I wonder how long REI will last in its present configuration.
Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Wharehouse and Sports Authority have all hit the dirt. TNF suffered a catastrophic stock collapse two decades ago, Sears, Macy's, Cabelas and EMS are hanging on by a thread and BPS and Dicks have laden withselves with debt buying up the remains of the foes. I think you are so right Granny, the times are going to catch up with REI

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 5:14 am 
About the only thing I don't get from small cottage places are brand name boots. And if you know how the size and model fits your foot you can get them from outlet places at big discounts. The cottage folks make good stuff, are still hungry, and know that service is important to people. As an added benefit they don't bother with the 8% state sales tax.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:06 am 
Some folks just love bad news, and who knows what the future holds for REI, but the co op isn't going anywhere soon after another record year. Be that as it may I just laid out for a MLD Soul eVent Bivy and cubin fiber Solomid, $ouch! REI is one company that for the moment is dialed into the future of the outdoors. Like it or not it appears that millions of people agree with the direction they are going.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am 
Cabelas and TNF had record years until they didn't. I couldn't find same store sales to use as a metric, but I'm sure it's out there.
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
REI is one company that for the moment is dialed into the future of the outdoors. Like it or not it appears that millions of people agree with the direction they are going.
Kind of seems that you're saying the future is product placement and dog toys.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 am 
Dog toys? You may want to be a bit more factual, I looked it up on their site, one. Is there any more room on your REI vodoo doll to stab it with another pin?

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 am 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Dog toys? You may want to be a bit more factual, I looked it up on their site, one. Is there any more room on your REI vodoo doll to stab it with another pin?
Have you ever been into a REI brick and mortar store?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm 
I went into an REI the other day. Still looked like an outdoor store to me. If your hike is next day and you need a new stove, crampon, etc. you're probably going to head in to REI. There aren't a lot of other B&M options. While I agree they aren't the coop they were in the previous century, I don't think they have missed the mark in terms of doing what they need to do to stay in business.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:23 pm 
And REI can be a good place for dirtbaggers on a budget to shop also. For example, this folding pocket knife only costs $600 when you include tax.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 pm 
At least they still have a knife department, thank goodness for that. The knife remains as one of the ten, no matter how you slice it.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode