Forum Index > Trip Reports > Frenchman Coulee - Plateau Loop (Vantage)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 8:49 am 
We had planned to go to North Central Washington for a nice desert loop, but the forecast had deteriorated some and we dusted off a trip down to Frenchman Coulee. It could have been much bigger, but because the hike took us to some new areas with some interesting terrain and scenery I thought we we might not be able to complete the larger section and split it in two. Walking, talking, and taking frequent photos can eat up some time so we decided to let it play out and enjoy the first section and decide from there. We left the Upper TH off Vantage Rd. near and above Frenchman Coulee's East head wall and followed the abandoned old road that crosses a small stream and descends into the coulee enjoying the waterfall on the North side of the canyon wall and hiking down the coulee to the lower parking lot. From there we found and lost an old trail crossing Echo Basin (the Punch Bowl is at the head of the basin) heading for the Sand Dunes below Land Plateau. The Dunes were pretty neat and we ascended a gully with an old trail to the top of the plateau and just like some recent hikes the area was an amazing creation of basalt sculpted by time. There were some recent wildfires up there so it was pretty open. We meandered around to various location, overlooks, and stopped at four different lakes. We missed walking across Land Plateau and the biggest lake in our adventure and headed over to Stab Point a high spot on the plateau, then had lunch on the canyon edge overlooking Frenchman, Whiskey Dick, Babcock Bench, and more. The weather had held out and we had mostly sunshine, light winds, and upper 50's, but the clouds were moving in and from our high perch we could see the miles of barren scab land to the North we would walk to do the entire route and back and being 1400 hr. thought another day. We followed the descending cliff line and came upon a climbers trail descending down to the upper parking lot right to my Subie and closed the loop. That was a very interesting and varied trip, very enjoyable. We ended up doing 7 miles and 1100' for the loop.
Frenchman Coulee Loop
Frenchman Coulee Loop
Punch Bowl
Punch Bowl
All most on the plateau
All most on the plateau
From our lunch spot looking out at Land Plateau and Frenchmens Coulee.
From our lunch spot looking out at Land Plateau and Frenchmens Coulee.
Meandering around the plateau.
Meandering around the plateau.
On the sand dunes hiking towards the gully to ascend the plateau.
On the sand dunes hiking towards the gully to ascend the plateau.
One of the four lakes we visited on the plateau.
One of the four lakes we visited on the plateau.
Steve crossing the desert
Steve crossing the desert
Traversing across Echo Basin and looking towards the Punch Bowl.
Traversing across Echo Basin and looking towards the Punch Bowl.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am 
A sand dune, a waterfall and lakes?! I had no idea that stuff was over there. Cool. up.gif I've had some fun days climbing there but I haven't been over that way in years.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 am 
We ran into two hikers coming up Frenchman Coulee as we were coming down and that is all. Talking to them they had no idea of the diversity of hiking in the area. From our route in the bottom we had no views of climbers. Once on the plateau near Stab Point we saw the masses around the Feathers. I haven't been out there in quite a few years climbing also.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Questions regarding scale on this cool feature. So difficult to determine from your beautiful image Would a average, standing, human body fill most of the gap between the two rocks, or just a very small fraction of that space? Or is that gap much, much smaller than it looks? I zoomed and then did a screenshot
2017-03-24_11-47-50
2017-03-24_11-47-50
Thanks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm 
Nice... I am bookmarking this one for future roaming in the area... thanks.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Questions regarding scale on this cool feature. So difficult to determine from your beautiful image
I think it is narrower than it looks, but I am not certain I was looking all around at different formations and features. It does look like you could hike up and behind it and find out. The area had some trails but the wildfire obliterated most of them so you find a short section of what use to be a trail here and there. It's easy rambling.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
Nice... I am bookmarking this one for future roaming in the area... thanks.
Nice spot. I'd do it on a weekday. You could make it longer by hiking back to the Punch Bowl in Echo Basin then back out and not forgetting to hit the "Land Plateau" like I did. Google Earth gives you an interesting look. up.gif Area Trip Template

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:45 pm 
Looks interesting up.gif Good to see you guys are getting out every time the sun comes out.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:09 am 
That walk across Echo Basin to the sand dunes is a lot fun and gets almost no traffic even when Frenchman Coulee and the rock climbing areas are really busy. I guess the secret is out now on nisaB ohcE lol.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 9:47 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
A sand dune, a waterfall and lakes?! I had no idea that stuff was over there. Cool. up.gif I've had some fun days climbing there but I haven't been over that way in years.
Ditto! How do you get to the TH? I love dunes!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, John Oh wait, I get it. It's the Feathers area, duh.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Oh wait, I get it. It's the Feathers area, duh.
The lower parking lot below the Feathers the trail from Frenchman Coulee comes in and a trail into Echo Basin starts on the other side of the road going SSE.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 am 
There is a geo cache on that point 1086 right beside the sand dunes

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Looks interesting up.gif Good to see you guys are getting out every time the sun comes out.
I can run in the valley, but with the variable weather many of the trips are pre - planned and same day decisions. Still negotiating the same weather pattern that started last June which is supposedly going to change in May - June this year to above normal temp and below normal precipitation through early 2018.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 am 
wildernessed wrote:
.....supposedly going to change in May - June this year to above normal temp and below normal precipitation through early 2018.
Don't even say that. I need early (and lots of) snow to ski. I was skiing with my daughter yesterday and bumped into Get Out And Go so we made a few runs with him. Also planned a few hiking trips for this summer. If there is no snow this winter maybe that's when I will let my doctor operate on my foot.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm 
That area looks beautiful!!! I'll certainly have to bring the family there next winter/spring!