Forum Index > Trail Talk > Planning a hiking trip through the PNW...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joedotts

joedotts
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 am 
Hello all! I am new to this forum, as I live out in the east and hike the Adirondacks, Greens and White Mountains... This summer in July I will be setting out on an epic, hiking-based road trip. My basic route will be to go straight out to Colorado, stay 2 weeks, then travel north through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, head west towards North cascades, Olympic, and then south, where i haven't done much planning there yet, but will head through the redwoods, sierras, over to Yosemite, sequoia, then to southern Utah and back to southern Colorado. I plan on trying to use dispersed camping in national forests the entire time, setting up a base camp for about a week and exploring the area before moving base camp to the next spot and so on. I'm thinking it will be about 3 months. I dont plan on hiking specifically in national parks, I want to see everything in between as well. So i want to ask you guys, What should I hike? Any sort of recommendations are awesome. I am a seasoned hiker, and have multiple, single day 22 mile, 6 peaks, 6500 elevation gain hikes under my belt last summer, so there is no issue there. Even if there is a mountain you can drive up, i'd love to hear about it. I'm looking for remoteness, but also looking for the awe inspiring experiences even if there are crowds. I cant wait to get out on my adventure, mingle with this community, and I look forward to hearing your recommendations!

Adirondack Joe
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:20 am 
It's difficult to make suggestions with such broad criteria. Since you mention the North Cascades, rather than the South, that would eliminate Mt Rainier area. There are only 3 major highways through the North Cascades: US 20, US 2, and SR 542 (which ends on the north side of Mt Baker). A popular tourist loop follows Highways 2 and 20 with dozens of trails going off both. One thing most people coming from the east are surprised at is that some of our higher elevation trails are snow covered through August and sometimes never completely melt out. It can also get cold enough to snow in late summer. Good navigation skills and maps are essential. Cell phone coverage is sparse. For specific trail ideas, I suggest you browse the Trip Reports section to get some ideas and also go to the Washington Trails Association website to look at specific trail descriptions: http://www.wta.org/

joedotts

joedotts
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:03 am 
What im looking for, is what do you think to be the best hikes to hit up in the whole North West. I will most definitly be hiking around Rainier, my broad criteria is because im still in the planning stages. So basically what do you think are the must do hikes in the region?

Adirondack Joe
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 am 
The "must do's" are also among the busiest in summer and require permits: High Divide in the Olympics, Copper Ridge Loop in the North Cascades, Enchantments, Olympic Coast, Wonderland Trail in Rainier, Sahale Glacier camp... Some others are: Goat Rocks Crest, PCT section from Stevens to Snoqualmie, Horseshoe Basin in The Pasayten, Grand Ridge and Valley in the Olympics, Eagle Cap in Oregon, Mt St Helens, Glacier Peak Wilderness...

drm

drm
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 am 
It sounds like you're looking only for dayhikes, no overnight backpacking?

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:01 am 
Here's one thread for some ideas: 5 Favorite Places

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:33 am 
Some of the NW/SE Chelan Sawtooth summit trail...say between Eagle Pass and down around the Cooney Lake/Merchants Basin area.
Schroder wrote:
...some of our higher elevation trails are snow covered through August and sometimes never completely melt out. It can also get cold enough to snow in late summer.
And be aware the Cascades are having an unusually heavy snow year so it could be an even later season. Listen to Schroder.....he knows!

joedotts

joedotts
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:21 am 
Thanks for any and all recommendations! I am definitly down for some backpacking, although i do prefer day hikes. I do realize the snow and the busy season... I also plan on hitting up the "busiest" locations mid-week to avoid crowds.

Adirondack Joe
natural_log

natural_log
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 am 
Some dayhikes that come to mind to serve as good starting points, moving from north to southish. They're all fairly popular, but if you can time them at more off-peak times like you said, I'm sure you would enjoy them. As others said, definitely check in on snow conditions with the ranger stations/WTA trip reports as your get closer to arriving: Kahhalne Ridge in Olympic NP Hoh River Trail in Olympic NP Olympic Coast Park Butte on the Mount Baker-Snoqualimie NF Thunder Knob in North Cascades NP Heather Pass-Maple Pass Loop on the Okanogan-Wenatchee NF Cutthroat Pass on the Okanogan-Wenatchee Colchuck Lake on the Okanogan-Wenatchee Granite Mountain on Mount Baker-Snoqualmie Summerland/Panhandle Gap in Mount Rainer Naches Peak Loop in Mount Rainer Coldwater Peak or Harry's Ridge in Mount Saint Helens NVM

Chico

Chico
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 am 
Be sure and bring your luggable loo along for your camp sites. Nothing worse than stinky brush where someone who comes after's dog goes to roll and eat. And all those white paper flags fluttering in the breeze.

drm

drm
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm 
When you get farther south, near Portland, aim for Eagle Creek in the Columbia River Gorge, frequently listed as one of the best waterfall hikes in the country, as long as you aren't afraid of heights. It also goes through a tunnel carved behind one of the waterfalls. This can be done as a dayhike or backpack, but is extremely popular so should be one of your midweek hikes. Assuming you get to the area after all snowmelt, on Mt Hood you might want to choose from among McNeil Point, Cooper Spur, Yocum Ridge (including Ramona Falls), Paradise Park (this one especially if your time matches the flower peak). These are all doable as dayhikes.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 pm 
Good suggestions for Oregon, drm. For Hood I would vote for McNeil Point (via Top Spur trailhead), that's a great hike. Especially if you continue on the boot path above the shelter up onto that narrow ridge.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm 
I'd downplay that threat of trailhead break-ins. They do happen, but I've been hit twice in about 20 years of hiking extensively in the NW. Literally several hundred times I've left my car for a long day or even 4-5 days at a time. Keep anything interesting looking out of sight, don't give a thief a good reason to try to get in your car and you most likely will be fine.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:26 pm 
To the OP, that sounds like an awesome trip. Have a great time. I'm jealous. up.gif

joedotts

joedotts
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:30 am 
Thanks! It's a dream trip. Something I've always wanted to do, and said screw it, it's happening!

Adirondack Joe