Forum Index > Gear Talk > What are your go to light hiking shoes ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 am 
With the myth of heavy hiking boots being discredited what are your favorite light hikers ? I know personally I have suffered physically from heavy, stiff, unbreatheable footwear and was a slow learner when it came to adopting ultralight foot wear. My hesitation was both believing the marketing and the fear of turning an ankle (hypersupination). I have been a runner for 40 years and sprained my ankle several times requiring casting that gave me a pause, but eventually I thought I am running on a trail with trail runners so shouldn't I be able to hike with trail runners ? So I am now. More substantial boots have a place in difficult off trail terrain, but I think it may be more efficient to carry them until I need them. I am currently hiking in Hokaa One Speed Hikers, Speed Goats, and have used Brooks Cascadias. I am waiting to see how the Hoka One Challenger 3's look and feel. What are you wearing, or waiting for in 2017 ? How Stuff Works Ultralight Hiking Shoes Video

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 am 
I posted this thread last year and went with the Salomon Speedcross 4. I just love them. From the moment I put them on they fit so perfectly and were so comfortable, I was sold. I took them on several trips last year including scrambling in the Teanaway and backpacking and peak bagging in the Goat Rocks and they were awesome. The only think they don't do well is side hill edging and smearing but they are perfect for the trail, the cushioning is awesome, and they scramble well. I haven't tested them in snow, but if I'm expecting sustained snow I'd pick different footwear. Anyhow, I love them and will probably get a second pair since they seem to fit my foot so perfectly.

mike

mike
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 am 
I've been using these Asolos for a few years. Plus: less than 2 lbs/pr, some ankle support which makes moderate off-trail/side-hill doable. Lace to toe. Suitable with light pack. Have worn microspikes in a pinch (but not recommended). Only $85 with coupon. Minus: goretex (YMMV), very thin sole which may be too thin for some but I prefer it. FWIW I added black superfeet. And I picked up a pair of the Keen Durands for shoulder season/rough use. Like 'em fine. 2½lbs/pr. Appear to be getting discontinued so maybe some deals.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 12:09 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Anyhow, I love them and will probably get a second pair since they seem to fit my foot so perfectly.
That is key. The Speed Goats took some criticism because people felt like they were going to supinate in them, I also felt that way in the store but gave them a chance and when walking / running / hiking they just fit me well, cushioned my impact, and I had no knee pain which had been a problem from bilateral patellar tendonitis. Since the Speed Goats my right knee has no pain anymore, while my left knee occasionally gets painful mainly in the late Fall after hiking or backpacking all year, I switch to running in the Hokaa One Cliftons at that point and the pain subsides. The Speed Hiker is a mid version of the Speed Goat and I wore that hiking and backpacking a lot last year along with some off trail scrambling. It is good to hike blister and pain free even when your feet are wet. I can actually leave them on and ford through streams and they drain well (Speed Goats). They fit me well and work for me better than any other shoe I have worn.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 pm 
mike wrote:
I've been using these Asolos for a few years.
I have worn Asolos of various brands but I eventually got blisters which may have come from sweating and long high gain days. I have the dreaded "Narrow Knobby Heel" which is hard to fit coupled with a wide mid - foot. They make a good product.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:03 pm 
Experience makes me agree that weight on the foot is unequal to that on the back. My several pair of heavy full grain leather boots are used to support old feet/ankles but I just got a pair of much lighter Hoka Tor Techs. Also, I have been spending all winter breaking in a stiff pair of Asolo Fugitives because they are lighter than the full-weight 520's. On a somewhat related matter in your post... I cannot agree with gear the "Clever Hiker" is reviewing as top 10. Especially in the hammock and tent categories. He's either never used the items much or is taking sponsorship money.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 3:01 pm 
A study I saw claimed 1 lb on your feet is equivalent to 6.2 lbs on your back, in terms of energy used. Also 1 lb in your hands equivalent to 1.9 lbs on your back. So save weight on the feet and hands.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 pm 
I had some Asics Gel Trail Attacks a few years ago, super light and comfortable and had a rock plate sole. I still will not wear light hikers exclusively, like when I am in rough, rocky terrain and in changing conditions like while backpacking. I know this has been discussed ad naseum, however, I still don't think trail runners are good for everyone and also trail condition dependent. I like the look at those Soloman speedcross 4's...wonder if REI carries them? I know online prices are usually way lower, but buying shoes online is too risky, given all the variables.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
A study I saw claimed 1 lb on your feet is equivalent to 6.2 lbs on your back, in terms of energy used.
That test was conducted on a treadmill (zero side slope, smooth uniform surface), where side-to-side stabilizing muscles are irrelevant. IME, sidehilling where edging is indicated in mushy trail shoes (e.g., Hoka Summit) requires considerably more energy than negotiating the same terrain with torsionally stiff boots. Sidehilling with mushy shoes also fatigues stabilizing muscles (e.g., tibialis anterior) and in some off-trail conditions (e.g., sidehilling on steep forest duff, firm late season snow or death-by-cheesegrater scree) can be terrifying. As with most things, it's not simple unless virtually all your backpacking is on well-maintained engineered trails.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I still will not wear light hikers exclusively, like when I am in rough, rocky terrain and in changing conditions like while backpacking. I know this has been discussed ad naseum, however, I still don't think trail runners are good for everyone and also trail condition dependent.
Yup on all counts.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 4:39 pm 
I've been happy with Altra Lone Peaks and Inov8 Roclites.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 pm 
Went with a pair of these a couple years ago: New Balance "Minimus" Got the "Vivo Ultra Pure" on Steve's recommendation, and they're great for padding around camp. I don't think they'd be worth a damn on a trail. The "New Balance Minimus" were fine for walking on (and off) trail with no pack. I really doubt they'd hold up under any kind of real load. (* Looking at the REI site it appears they no longer carry that model, but now offer a different model.) YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 7:57 pm 
I have had good luck with Inov8s, different models, in most conditions. However, I agree with Steve on his observations.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 pm 
Ski wrote:
Got the "Vivo Ultra Pure" on Steve's recommendation, and they're great for padding around camp. I don't think they'd be worth a damn on a trail.
Heh. FTR, I recommended those as camp shoes and for stream crossings. Nonetheless, I have worn them for 100+ miles of easy trail (with insoles in them), although I don't recommend them for that.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:22 am 
I have worn the NB Minimus, Vivobarefoot Trail Freak and Altra Lone Peaks the last 5 years and Altras are my favorite. I've put 100s of miles in on them and they make my feet happy, especially on long backpacking trips. Just tried the Neo version and they have been great this winter, even when postholing (with gaiters, of course). Luna or Xero sandals are another favorite on dayhikes.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 am 
I wore the Hokaa One Speed Hiker mids on a lot of hikes last year including off trail peakbagging. I also wore them backpacking on overnight trips with off trail scrambling. I was using a complete UL setup so my total pack wt. Including food and water was 13 - 15 lb. It really feels liberating when you combine ul footwear with ul equipment. I hope to drop 2 more lb. from my total pack weight this summer - fall.